• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

AOU-NACC Proposals 2024 (13 Viewers)

Which would probably rule out Kalinago wren.
Depends on whether it is current or historical distribution you think about. As far as I remember, Dominica is the only place with a Kalinago territory today. The Kalinago in St. Vincent were forcibly moved to Roatan from where they moved to Belize, it seems.
Niels

From descriptions, martinicensis and gadeloupensis don't really seem to have shared the colour of rufescens...

(A specimen of martinicensis: Multimedia item - RMNH.AVES.110001_0 | Naturalis Bioportal )

(Ridgway described Troglodytes guadeloupensis [Guadeloupe Wren] as duller than T. rufescens [Dominican Wren], and T. martinicensis [Martinique Wren] as still much duller than T. guadeloupensis.)

Last edited:
Wow...good timing. After discussion of how this forum is dead, NACC just posted there next batch of proposals, with some pretty interesting changes

Wow...good timing. After discussion of how this forum is dead, NACC just posted there next batch of proposals, with some pretty interesting changes

Surprised to see the Herring Gull split there!

Clements I believe is the hold out on that split, so they sort of have to address what with the checklist reconciliation process going on.

Southern and Northern House Wren split should get a ton of birders an armchair tick...both are widespread and pretty easy to see.

Clements I believe is the hold out on that split, so they sort of have to address what with the checklist reconciliation process going on.

Southern and Northern House Wren split should get a ton of birders an armchair tick...both are widespread and pretty easy to see.
Including me!

Does anyone know what the range of the new Brown Booby taxa would be? Do the two overlap anywhere?

What's the Southerly limit of Northern?

I've never been North of Florida so I guess all I've seen is Southern.

The most likely version of the proposal to pass would have Northern range through most of Mexico, with the Yucatan and further south Southern.

Any House Wren you saw in Florida would be Northern, if that is what you are wondering.

Including me!

Does anyone know what the range of the new Brown Booby taxa would be? Do the two overlap anywhere?
luecogaster - Atlantic and Caribbean islands: Fernando de Noronha (ne of ne Brazil), coastal

brewsteri - islands off w Mexico: from c Baja California and Gulf of California (nw Mexico) to

etesiaca - Pacific coasts of Central America and Colombia: Gulf of Fonseca is. (Honduras) to

plotus - Red Sea through Indian Ocean to w, c Pacific Ocean: Red Sea, islands off Somalia

Luecogaster - Atlantic and Caribbean islands: Fernando de Noronha (ne of ne Brazil), coastal

Brewsteri - islands off w Mexico: from c Baja California and Gulf of California (nw Mexico) to
That's the nesting ranges, but of course boobies wander far at sea.

They are not even each others sister species or particularly close in the large white headed gulls. Unless you massively reduce the number of recognized species this split is mandatory and the evidence seems basically overwhelming.

Way more involved than just Southern and Northern!

2024-C-3a: Recognize multiple species within the House Wren Troglodytes aedon complex: Recognize T. musculus as a separate species

2024-C-3b: Recognize multiple species within the House Wren Troglodytes aedon complex: Recognize T. brunneicolis as a separate species

2024-C-3c: Recognize multiple species within the House Wren Troglodytes aedon complex: Recognize T. parkmanii as a separate species

2024-C-3d: Recognize multiple species within the House Wren Troglodytes aedon complex: Recognize T. beani as a separate species

2024-C-3e: Recognize multiple species within the House Wren Troglodytes aedon complex: Recognize the T. martinicensis group (incl. guadeloupensis and rufescens) as a separate species

2024-C-3f: Recognize multiple species within the House Wren Troglodytes aedon complex: Recognize T. guadeloupensis as a separate species

2024-C-3g: Recognize multiple species within the House Wren Troglodytes aedon complex: Recognize T. rufescens as a separate species

2024-C-3h: Recognize multiple species within the House Wren Troglodytes aedon complex: Recognize T. martinicensis as a separate species

2024-C-3i: Recognize multiple species within the House Wren Troglodytes aedon complex: Recognize T. mesoleucus as a separate species

2024-C-3j: Recognize multiple species within the House Wren Troglodytes aedon complex: Recognize T. musicus as a separate species

2024-C-3k: Recognize multiple species within the House Wren Troglodytes aedon complex: Recognize T. grenadensis as a separate species

2024-C-3l: Recognize multiple species within the House Wren Troglodytes aedon complex: Recognize T. albicans as a separate species

Users who are viewing this thread

Back