• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A pair of dunnocks (1 Viewer)

JoJo1983

United Kingdom
Hi, I gave a balcony and I tend to keep a bird feeder but lately it's not been in great use, during the time I've allowed my 2 cats to sit oht on the balcony for a little while, these last few weeks I have noticed a pair of dunnocks walking along my the wall but never noticed them feeding from the bird feeder (which I do refresh still just incase) but whenever my cats sit out these birds come out and start tittering away, if they ain't eating from the feeder then what is the issue with my cats? Are they fledglings? Are they protecting something?

Hi JoJo and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators. It sounds very unlike the behaviour of Dunnocks, as they're a rather secretive bird and mostly forage under hedges. It does sound a bit more like fledglings with the "tittering" asking the adults to "come, feed me!!" Or an adult bird issuing a warning to others about the presence of cats.

A picture of them would certainly help with the identification.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.

Welcome to Birdforum.

I expect the noises are alarm calls as your cats are predators.

Hi, welcome to the forum. I think you will find us a friendly and helpful group.

Hello, Thank you for all the welcoming messages. I have tried my best at getting a picture of the visiting birds on my balcony and I hope these are good for identification?

Thank you20240511_082659.jpg20240511_082705.jpg

Well, that's certainly a Dunnock JoJo. And an adult.

Is that one of the duo doing the "tittering". If so what you describe is likely to be mating behaviour.

Yes I am thinking it is that one. They don't appear to want anything from my balcony from what I see, they occasionally wander across it and my neighbours but they sit in the downstairs garden looking up, (there are 2 of them) at my balcony and chatter when the cats are out or they sit at the end of my neighbours balcony.

If they chatter when the cats are about, they are making alarm calls as I said before. They are warning that there are predators around.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back