• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

400D For Birds In Flight (1 Viewer)

Jeremy

Upstanding Member
Hi,
My 20D has conked out, so I am looking for a replacement, but money is tight.
I could afford a 40D, but would prefer not to spend that much, and have heard mixed reports about the 40D`s autofocus capabilities.
So, does anyone use the 400D successfully for bird-in-flight shots?
Has anyone compared image quality between the two cameras?
Thanks for any opinions

The images out of the 400D are on a par with what you would get from a 40D, personally though Jeremy I think a photographer of your ability would soon find the slowness (particularly when shooting RAW) and generally lower spec restrictive and frustrating.

Can't comment on the 400d, but the 40d's autofocus is much better than that of the 350d - never had much luck with the 350d for BiFs. However, there's not much difference in IQ between the 350d and the 40d, when comparing RAW.

I borrowed a mates 400d to try on flight shots and got on with it fine.Bear in mind that at the time I was using a 300d so anything would have been better LOL.I still had some good BIFs with the 300d though.Now I am using a 350d which I would say is as good as the 400d.I cant comment on the 40d as I have never used one.

Get the 40D and be done with it Jeremy. Handles noise much better which must mean higher ISO for those converter shots.

Happy New Year to You too.

ps my 20D is up *&^% street but still useable and I am now waiting for the death rattle (from the camera, not me)

Having owned both I would disagree about the 400 being on a par for image quality, particularly at high ISO. The 40D 6 frames per second is a lot more useful than the 400's 3. It also has the advantage of a larger brighter veiwfinder & 3 custom menus. I found autofocus of the 100-400L on the 40D is faster than the lens was on the 400, battery usage is a lot lower, start time is almost instantaneous. The autofocus is different to get used to being a lot more sensitive but one advantage is that you can go into the menu and turn off the auto seek mode. This doesn't stop it autofocusing but limits the amount of out of focus you can be before it will lock in. The big advantage for BIF is that it won't go seeking focus as the bird moves out of centre allowing you to quickly get back on the bird and still be in focus. The price on the 40D here is only a few hundred above the 400D but it is one heck of a lot more camera. Once you learn to use all the new features of the 40D you'll be smiling from ear to ear|:D|

I have one of each so have done some direct comparisons. The AF speed of the 400D is fine, but the 40D is better, plus the much faster frame rate really helps with BIF. Overall I far prefer the handling of the 40D and would be happy to upgrade my 400D to a second one. When I got the 40D I did some test shots to check the IQ, I was surprised to find that the 40D was better even at low ISOs. I have found that with the 40D I need to do less sharpening and noise reduction. If you can strecth to a 40D it is definitely worth the extra money.

I had the 400d but 3fps is rather slow for the action of bif shots the 40d is a super camera try and get it.
Rob.

Definitely the 40D is a better option, as stated before, but I stand by the comments regarding image quality, I tested both of these cameras (and a 1D Mk3) and quite literally there is little difference between them at all, yes the 400D shows an increase in chroma noise at higher ISOs over the others, but it also shows slightly richer and in my view more accurate colour. For very little added work the noise issue can be sorted in software during PP, but with strip comparisons on A4 size prints the differences are not discernable, and indeed are not that discernable at A3 either.

Some tests on DP review here, unfortunately not a direct comparison, but its worth opening both pages side by side.
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos40d/page27.asp
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos400d/page27.asp

Have had both cameras and felt the 400D was physically too small to feel 'right' with something like a 100-400L. Add the battery grip and it felt worlds different but that then adds the cost of the battery grip (£100 inc battery) to the price. The 40D feels good in the hand by default (but you lose out on the battery grip!). Bear the handling in mind if you're talking big lenses cos IMHO the 400D without the grip is ergonomically poor.

So as I understand that, you highlight '1: Focus search off' from the menu and this will give a more accurate lock for BIF ?

Last edited:
Ive never had any problems as such with BIF and the 400d - wouldnt the lens make more of a difference? - but after a quick look in your gallery and on your website, its obvious you're an experienced photographer, and might be a bit limited by some of the 400d's features. Not to say that it wouldnt do the job, but I for a serious photographer, the 40d would be the right choice, and the next step up from a 20d.

Last edited:
Thanks for your helpful comments. Christmas has left me broke, and just my luck my aging 20D should choose this time to conk out. Anyhow, I have decided to bite the bullet, and am about to order a 40D. I`d get a 1DS3 if I could afford it - but I can`t, so this will have to do. I was just hoping to save a few quid, but probably false economy.
Thanks again!

BTW, how effective is the dust-reduction feature on the 40D? I seem to be forever cloning out dust spots on 20D shots, as I change lenses quite a bit. Bloody nuisance!

Its pretty good, there's a dust mapping and removal feature in the software too, personally I prefer to spot my images manually though.
Turning the camera off when changing lenses makes a bit of difference to the amount of dust ingested through the lens throat.

To reply to Nick re focus off, the main reason for turning it off is to stop the lens from hunting out to infinity if the bird moves out of the focus point which will happen pretty regularly. I use the custom menu function and set to; 1 Ev overexposure, autofocus search off, spot metering, centre spot focus, Av priority.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back