• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ZRS 8x32 HD specs? (1 Viewer)

David Swain

Does anyone have any inside or published information I haven't seen on the specs for the upcoming 8x32? Information, that is, and not speculation. Is there a release date?

Apologies if I missed this somewhere on the forums.

thanks,

David

If not Charles then maybe SteveC. I certainly don't know. If I had to guess beyond all the dielectric coatings and rare earth element in the eyepiece then probably 20 mm of eye relief, a 450 foot field of view and a 3 foot close focus.

:)

Just kidding of course. My actual guess would be around 15 mm of eye relief, between a 390 and a 420 foot field of view and a 5-6 foot close focus. ;)

Last edited:
That looks about what I was expecting in terms of overall specs with different armor of course....and about $60 less expensive.

I think Brock is just considering price point.

On the other hand, my opinion isn't that the Terra EDs will dominate the market quite as much as Brock thinks. I liked their performance and didn't really find anything objectionable about them at their price point. My opinion is related more to the market in general.

I do wish Charles would chime in and give us on update on these binoculars.

I don't think the Terras will compete with the ZRS really, especially not the 32mm model. The ZRS price point is ~$200, whereas the Terra ED is going to be $349 for the 8x42 and $399 for the 10x42. A difference of $100-200 isn't a big deal in alpha land, but in the budget category those are two different subsets of buyers.

I do think the Terra ED is going to be a major player, but the major threat is to the old $300 standards for budget buyers -- the Nikon Monarch and the Eagle Optics Ranger. I know that when I bought my old 8x42 Rangers 7-8 years ago for $300, I would have had to think twice had I been able to get a quality Zeiss for 50 bucks more. Compared to the Monarch 5 and Ranger, the Zeiss offers a wider FOV and that elusive Zeiss cachet, and almost certainly better resale value as a consequence. If there are not major QC issues with the Terras I think they are going to take a big bite out of that $300-400 market, not because they are necessarily that much better than the other options optically, but because of that blue badge.

Secondarily, there will be a threat to the China ED models in the $300-400 range (Zen ED2/3, Vanguard Endeavor ED, etc) but I think there is a slightly different market there than the more popular options like the Monarch.

So then I wonder if the price of the Endeavor EDs and the ZR3s will drop as a result?

I agree with you about the different subset of buyers at almost each $100 price point up until you break $500 or so then the tiers seem to be more like $200-$300 between them. If the Endeavor EDs and or ZR3s were price at or below $300 then they might still win over buyers not willing to pay the additional $50 or more simply for the Zeiss name.

Maybe what we will eventually see from Zen Ray is the phasing out of the ED3 line all together and then a shift of the ED glass to the ZRS price point. A ZRS "ED" priced at $250 would likely steal buyers not willing to pay the extra $100 for the Terra ED. Why not $250 for a ZRS ED? The Bresser Everest and two other models currently sell for that price point and less with ED glass. Even the Bushnell Legend Ultra is regularly priced around $229.

I don't think the Terras will compete with the ZRS really, especially not the 32mm model. The ZRS price point is ~$200, whereas the Terra ED is going to be $349 for the 8x42 and $399 for the 10x42. A difference of $100-200 isn't a big deal in alpha land, but in the budget category those are two different subsets of buyers.

I do think the Terra ED is going to be a major player, but the major threat is to the old $300 standards for budget buyers -- the Nikon Monarch and the Eagle Optics Ranger. I know that when I bought my old 8x42 Rangers 7-8 years ago for $300, I would have had to think twice had I been able to get a quality Zeiss for 50 bucks more. Compared to the Monarch 5 and Ranger, the Zeiss offers a wider FOV and that elusive Zeiss cachet, and almost certainly better resale value as a consequence. If there are not major QC issues with the Terras I think they are going to take a big bite out of that $300-400 market, not because they are necessarily that much better than the other options optically, but because of that blue badge.

Secondarily, there will be a threat to the China ED models in the $300-400 range (Zen ED2/3, Vanguard Endeavor ED, etc) but I think there is a slightly different market there than the more popular options like the Monarch.

Yes, that was exactly my point. Even though ZR and other Chinese bins are fairly well known now, "Zeiss" is a Marque name (as someone put it recently), and if you can get the same quality or perhaps even slightly better as Ingraham claims for just a bit more, as long as there aren't any major QC problems, I see the Terra competing well in this price segment. Look out!

Brock

The 32mm ZRS HD spec are on the website now.

10x32 ZRS HD
Dimension (HxW) 4.7" (L)x4.4" (W)
Weatherproofing Waterproof/Fogproof
Magnification 10x
Field of View 325ft/1000yards
Eye Relief 14.4mm
Close Focus 6 ft
Weight 15.5 oz
Interpupilary distance (IPD in mm) 56-73

8x32 ZRS HD
Dimension (HxW) 4.7" (L)x4.4" (W)
Weatherproofing Waterproof/Fogproof
Magnification 8x
Field of View 409ft/1000yards
Eye Relief 15.6mm
Close Focus 6 ft
Weight 15.5 oz
Interpupilary distance (IPD in mm) 56-73

If not Charles then maybe SteveC. I certainly don't know. If I had to guess beyond all the dielectric coatings and rare earth element in the eyepiece then probably 20 mm of eye relief, a 450 foot field of view and a 3 foot close focus.

:)

Just kidding of course. My actual guess would be around 15 mm of eye relief, between a 390 and a 420 foot field of view and a 5-6 foot close focus. ;)

Frank..You Nailed it!

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back