• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zen Sub-forum needed! (1 Viewer)

kristoffer

Used Register
We need a Zen sub-forum, they take up half of the general section while other brands sub sections are unused. Can some moderator fix it?

Sure, delete some. But zen needs one, if anyone.

But what about all the other Chinese OEM dealers like Hawke, EO, Promaster, etc, etc.

Honestly I hate having to browse through tons of sub forums. Why can't all of binoculars be just one forum? Do all the sub brands really want to be separate?

But what about all the other Chinese OEM dealers like Hawke, EO, Promaster, etc, etc.

Honestly I hate having to browse through tons of sub forums. Why can't all of binoculars be just one forum? Do all the sub brands really want to be separate?

I really prefer subforums, make it a lot easier to browse for interesting threads when you are after a certain product or so. You want one big section for all bins including tripods, scopes and digiscoping too?
Not a single thread on hawke, eo etc on first page atm, so probably not as needed as for a Zen section.

Let me start off by saying that I can understand where you are coming from Kristoffer. The Zen Ray binoculars have stirred alot of interest among regular binocular "nuts" not to mention the average user looking for the best value. However most of the other manufacturers with subforums have a variety of different bins to discuss not to mention the fact that they have been around quite a bit longer so there are out of production model questions that usually also develop.

I also tend to agree with sh.....a in that there are a variety of bins out there that are very, very similar to the Zen Rays which one could argue might also need subforums.

A compromise might be in order. Maybe a subforum titled "New Products" or "Manufacturer's Announcements" might be in order. Some of the other outdoor activity forums I belong to have forums of this nature and they do quite well for these types of posts.

Just a thought.....

...and for what it is worth, it wasn't until maybe two years ago that Pentax actually received its own forum and they have how many bins and have been around for how long?

;)

I just struggle to see what harm it could do to collect all zen related topics in the zen-ray subforum. It would make it a lot easier for new (and old) interested members. Now we have to search through tons of unrelated threads in the gen-pop. I understand that it should take time to get a subforum, earn a reputation etc ;) But the current subforums just feel sooo -2006, and lack quite a few of the most popular brands.

I think that the sub forums with less than 100 threads need not be separated. Generally, I think separating forums by brand is a bad idea. Separating by use is better. Of course, if having one forum is too busy, then it should split but I don't see enough activity in the main binoculars forum right now so I'm not sure if its really necessary.

Zen is mentioned in 198 threads and in the topic of 35. Quite a lot when they have so few models and will only get more and more.

Zen is mentioned in 198 threads and in the topic of 35. Quite a lot when they have so few models and will only get more and more.

Yes but on the first page of the bino forum, there are only 6 Zen threads so they are not really interfering with the other topics that much that they need their own forum. If ~40% of the first page threads turn into Zen threads then I would agree with you.

Hello all,

When I used the advance search facility and looked for Zen in titles only, I came up with 35 threads, not a lot.
After all the interested parties discuss the ED2 binoculars, things will probably quiet down.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur :brains:

I think that the sub forums with less than 100 threads need not be separated. Generally, I think separating forums by brand is a bad idea. Separating by use is better. Of course, if having one forum is too busy, then it should split but I don't see enough activity in the main binoculars forum right now so I'm not sure if its really necessary.

I'd favor more rather than fewer subforums, and I can't imagine a system of organization that would make as much sense as the current system of making subforums according to brand (the only thing that might come close is dividing according to price, but that's too fluid, and if you're a real optics nut, performance is more important anyway). What would the categories be under a division according to use? I think it would be really hard to come up with a scheme that would have much universal applicability and be widely understood. Over the years, each of the subforums has had periods of intense activity, as have other brands that lack subforums (e.g. Eagle Optics, Vortex), followed by relatively quiet times. It makes sense that the industry leaders and long established brands have their own subforums; I'm not as sure about little brands like Zen Ray.

--AP

I'd favor more rather than fewer subforums, and I can't imagine a system of organization that would make as much sense as the current system of making subforums according to brand (the only thing that might come close is dividing according to price, but that's too fluid, and if you're a real optics nut, performance is more important anyway). What would the categories be under a division according to use? I think it would be really hard to come up with a scheme that would have much universal applicability and be widely understood. Over the years, each of the subforums has had periods of intense activity, as have other brands that lack subforums (e.g. Eagle Optics, Vortex), followed by relatively quiet times. It makes sense that the industry leaders and long established brands have their own subforums; I'm not as sure about little brands like Zen Ray.

--AP

Oh I never meant to re-divide the bino forum according to use, I just mean it generally for a forum thats getting too large. IMO, I would prefer to have just one bino forum with all the brands merged together.

We will keep an eye on things but have no immediate plans for a Zen Ray subforum.
Obviously there is a major marketing push involved at the moment, and this is reflected in these forums (and we are keeping a very close eye on certain aspects). We will review the situation in the future.

As it is, threads revolving around these binoculars should go in the 'others' forum.
regards.
Andy

ok, roger that. Thanks for the info.
We will keep an eye on things but have no immediate plans for a Zen Ray subforum.
Obviously there is a major marketing push involved at the moment, and this is reflected in these forums (and we are keeping a very close eye on certain aspects). We will review the situation in the future.

As it is, threads revolving around these binoculars should go in the 'others' forum.
regards.
Andy

Hmm, a nice big banner ad appears at the top of the Bino forum too. Coincidence? It think not!

happy holidays,
Rick

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back