• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zen Ray Spotter (1 Viewer)

scott63

I saw on the Zen-Ray site that they are accepting pre-orders for a 1200.00 spotting scope. I have to admit to being a little disappointed, going from a 300 dollar product to 1200 line up? I was hoping they would be coming out with something in the 500.00 range, guess I'll have to wait to see if they come out with more models...........Scott

For the life of me I can't understand why they'd enter the $1200 price point, given the stellar spotters already at that price point, i.e. Nikon 82ed, Pentax pf80ed, and even some used Zeiss 85T FL's for $1400. Doesn't make sense. As for the Zen/Razor comparison, I thought the same thing, but the Razor is made in Japan and is 85mm. The Zen is Chinese and is 82mm.

85mm vs 82mm may not make much difference. At 20x, the exit pupil is 4.25mm vs 4.1mm. Does anyone know if the Razor 30x eyepiece is compatible with the ZEN?

As jgraider points out, seems like they are blowing it coming out in this price range. The first thought I had was that I could get a used Zeiss or a New Nikon for that much money.
I am extremely happy with the 10X43ED2 bino's and was hoping to add a spotter, but not at that price.............Scott

I got a hunch they aren't blowing it. My hunch is this spotter, like the bins, will be about 98% of the alphas for 1/3-1/4 the price. Look at the eyepiece--about the biggest I've seen on any scope. Something nice going on there.

I spent $470 on an 80mm Celestron Regal ED, which is Chinese, and am frankly amazed at how good it is, right up to 60x. I doubt I'll ever need anything better since I'm only an occasional user of scopes.

Mark

I got a hunch they aren't blowing it. My hunch is this spotter, like the bins, will be about 98% of the alphas for 1/3-1/4 the price. Look at the eyepiece--about the biggest I've seen on any scope. Something nice going on there.

I spent $470 on an 80mm Celestron Regal ED, which is Chinese, and am frankly amazed at how good it is, right up to 60x. I doubt I'll ever need anything better since I'm only an occasional user of scopes.

Mark

So if you're that happy with the Celestron, why would you spend $700 more on a Zen Ray? You already said it was all you'd ever need. That's my point. I'm not bashing Charles at Zen RAy, just a little surprised.

Well, I wouldn't. But someone thinking about a Vortex Razor or one of the alphas may well like to save some big bucks.

And if it turns out as good as think it might, and if I hadn't already bought the Celestron, I might well have sprung for it.

I mean I'd love the new Leica but $3900 is kinda ridiculous!

I agree and you may very well be right. I hope you are because I think Charles @ Zen Ray is a good guy. You can already save big bucks with the Nikon and Pentax I mentioned, which was my original point. Time will tell.

For the life of me I can't understand why they'd enter the $1200 price point, given the stellar spotters already at that price point, i.e. Nikon 82ed, Pentax pf80ed, and even some used Zeiss 85T FL's for $1400. Doesn't make sense. As for the Zen/Razor comparison, I thought the same thing, but the Razor is made in Japan and is 85mm. The Zen is Chinese and is 82mm.

Pentax Pf80ed is hardly stellar, not Zeiss 85T either with their yellow bias. The Zenray has like someone else said earlier potential to be nearly as good as the best for half the price, and that sure is nice.

Your eyes see things differently than mine do. Thanks for taking the time to tell me what my eyes have seen when using the Zeiss, and Pentax w/XW eyepieces.

Sold my Zeiss 65 Diascope last year, and not intending to buy a new one, I was curious enough to check the specs for the ZR scope.
The field of view of the 20-60x82 is stated as 115/60 yards/1000yards.
Wouldn't that be a bit restricted compared to the alpha scopes, especially with the new wide 25-50x zoom eyepieces of the Leica and Swaro?

Best regards,

Ronald

I wonder if they will have as much edge distortion as their binoculars?

Zen Ray never said their bins have edge-to-edge sharpness (did they? I really don't remember). But what they advertised, such as CA control, brightness, center resolution, and good customer service, their bins did deliver, according to the owners of Zen Ray bins on this forum.

Their new spotter is advertised to be "for the most serious birders and hunters who expect nothing but the best image resolution, extreme low light brightness, and edge-edge sharpness without distortion." Given Zen Rays track record, and the fact that the pricing is actually not too much lower than the Vortex Razor, an excellent scope that rivals the "alpha" scopes in many aspects, I think there's a good chance that the new Zen Ray scope is going to perform they way they are advertised to.

Sold my Zeiss 65 Diascope last year, and not intending to buy a new one, I was curious enough to check the specs for the ZR scope.
The field of view of the 20-60x82 is stated as 115/60 yards/1000yards.
Wouldn't that be a bit restricted compared to the alpha scopes, especially with the new wide 25-50x zoom eyepieces of the Leica and Swaro?

Best regards,

Ronald

Well, Zen Ray will have to develop something comparable down the road, won't they? ;)

I wonder if they will have as much edge distortion as their binoculars?

Which models are you referring to? The three bino's (10X43 ED2 & 2 pairs ZRS HD 10X42) I've looked through did not have that problem and are really excellent for the money, a true bargain..........Scott

It just seems to me that to advertize the 7x36 EDII as having a 477' FoV, but when someone points out poor edge distortion, the response is other binocs have edge distortion as well - even the alphas. But in my experience, my alphas have a smaller FoV but no distortion.

To advertize something that's not fully usable is a bit deceiving in my opinion. I've looked thru so called "wide view" 7x35 porros with 500'-600' FoV but only the center is in focus - whoopee! If the 7x36 EDII had used a smaller field stop allowing a smaller FoV without the noticeable edge distortion - then that would have been one less thing I would have found wrong with them. If I don't like something that you do, you're going to have to live with it.

Last edited:
I think that although it may not be "fully usable" in the sense that "usable" sharpness is not available; it can be "useful" in seeing things on the periphery of the view that can quickly be brought back into the area of sharpness.
Bob

I think that although it may not be "fully usable" in the sense that "usable" sharpness is not available; it can be "useful" in seeing things on the periphery of the view that can quickly be brought back into the area of sharpness.
Bob

I think that's how most people use a bin. For birding at least.

Until recently, I had never seen a truly sharp to the edge view. But now I have a PF-65 ED and XW e/p, I have seen it. But I still have the habit of moving the scope so that the object of my interest is in the centre. It's the natural thing to do. I only truly appreciate the 'full-screen' view when I'm looking at a flock of birds.

I have 9.3* bins and 8* bins that are very fuzzy at the edges but they're still very usable and I enjoy using them.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back