• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zen Ray ED2 7x36 evaluations and review (1 Viewer)

For comparison: here's a photo of the Leica 8x32 BN eye cup. By the way, I must say it looks quite good after being heavily used for ten years, on five continents!

Attachments

• BN8x32.JPG
    BN8x32.JPG
    138.9 KB · Views: 157
Last edited:
For what it's worth, I tried a second pair of the 7x36 ED2s with the idea that they could serve as my car bins. These appear to be practically identical with the first pair. Same high center field resolution, slightly better collimation, same slightly-too-stiff focus with the same slight backlash, same glare, same off-axis issues. After a couple of weeks I've decided to send them back, too.

They were up against some stiff competition. I was the guy who snagged the 8x32 FL lotutec demos that cameraland was blowing out for $800 last month, and for whatever reason this pair is really, really sharp, better than either pair of non-lotutecs I had. A screaming deal, with the full Zeiss warranty.

Who said falling in love or finding the right binoculars was easy?

I was the guy who snagged the 8x32 FL lotutec demos that cameraland was blowing out for $800 last month, and for whatever reason this pair is really, really sharp, better than either pair of non-lotutecs I had. A screaming deal, with the full Zeiss warranty.

Hello Fireform,

Quite a good deal.

Arthur Pinewood

I was the guy who snagged the 8x32 FL lotutec demos that cameraland was blowing out for $800 last month

So your the one who snagged those.I called Doug as soon as I saw the ad and he said they had just been bought.I'll keep my fingers crossed for the next ad:t:

So your the one who snagged those.I called Doug as soon as I saw the ad and he said they had just been bought.I'll keep my fingers crossed for the next ad:t:

Good thing I didn't hesitate! Actually, I almost sprained my wrist, I reached for my credit card so fast.

These two binoculars are quite different in my view. The SEs are noticeably sharper on the edges and have a touch higher contrast. Between that and the larger 3D effect the SE view is more engaging--more of a you-are-there sensation. The FL is the brightest 8x32 roof I've seen, so the two are very close in brightness. The FL has less chromatic aberration and this specific pair appears to have a very sharp center field, about on a par with the SEs. The color rendition in the FLs appears to me to be as close to neutral as you can get. I still think the SEs will get you the last whisker of resolution due to their contrast, but the FLs, at least the pair I have now, are hard on their heels, in addition to being more compact, waterproof and quicker focusing. Either will give you a first class view.

Isn't Doug great with these type of deals? You do really have to jump on them though. He has the best prices, period, on any of the Zeiss products. $800 for a Lotutec 8x32 FL is just such a deal. He had a 7x42 FL non-Lotutec for $950 just a bit ago. He had a 65 mm Diascope with the zoom eyepiece for $1100. How do you beat that?

You gotta keep an eye on the forums that he sponsors though....24hourcampfire and monstermuleys.com . That is where he posts the incredible deals.

;)

Isn't Doug great with these type of deals? ...

Hello Frank,

I bought two Zeiss glasses from Doug and two Leica binoculars.

Am I the only one on this forum who has been in Cameraland and purchased a binocular from Doug, in person?

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood

Last edited:
Ahah! This thread has turned into another discussion! 8-P

To the ones who have zen-ray 7x36: please, post some pictures here!

I won't buy the 7x36s at the moment. I thought I would but one of the main reasons for a 7x bino is the possibility of a greater eye relief compared to a 8x. Since the 7x36 has similar ER as a 8x32 I will wait and see if the next version has better designed eye cups.

Wolf

Hello,

I have weighed the pros, FOV, brilliance, colour quality, stability, and the cons, light spill or glare, and internal reflection causing an arc. I have found that the cons are irritants, generally remediable, which do not outweigh the pros. Therefore I am keeping the Zen 7x36.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood :hi:

Hello,

I have weighed the pros, FOV, brilliance, colour quality, stability, and the cons, light spill or glare, and internal reflection causing an arc. I have found that the cons are irritants, generally remediable, which do not outweigh the pros. Therefore I am keeping the Zen 7x36.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood :hi:

So you see glare? Shame. I do not, and I feel blessed.

It is an interesting analysis and set of suggestions. Similar to what has been suggested here by a few individuals.

It is an interesting analysis and set of suggestions. Similar to what has been suggested here by a few individuals.

I wonder if the glare issue is not only related with an individual approach to the way the binocular is held to the face,But if also different geographic settings can affect the view..And also ,of course ,the times of the day,and the season, that the binoculars are used in the field...for instance,In the middle of the day in summer,towards the equator,The Sun Rays are more perpendicular and wont affect the view as much as Early or late lights ,in Northern Latitudes in Winter..Am I right?...It would be interesting to know If There is the same level of performance in Summer ,with High Sun,or Winter,when the Sun is much more low in the Horizon,therefore scattering more light....
With this in mind,and Winter light being more challenging,Summer is definitely the time to launch new models!!!;)

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back