• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zen Prices up... (1 Viewer)

I checked with ZEN-RAY directly and that is not totally the case. The ZEN ED2 7x36 is the only model that has gone up (reflecting the Manufacture's Suggested Retail Price for now as stock is unavailable) but that may not be permanent. The ZEN-ED 2 8x43 is in stock and still has a 20 percent discount coupon and the 10x43 is out of stock but you still can get the 20 percent discount on pre-order (I do not think that is really clear on their site). The ZEN ED 8x43 and 10x43 with coupon seem to have been somewhat reduced in price recently. The Vistas and Summits have not gone up in price.
Please check with ZR if clarification is required.

Last edited:
I checked with ZEN-RAY directly and that is not totally the case. The ZEN ED2 7x36 is the only model that has gone up (reflecting the Manufacture's Suggested Retail Price for now as stock is unavailable) but that may not be permanent. The ZEN-ED 2 8x43 is in stock and still has a 20 percent discount coupon and the 10x43 is out of stock but you still can get the 20 percent discount on pre-order (I do not think that is really clear on their site). The ZEN ED 8x43 and 10x43 with coupon seem to have been somewhat reduced in price recently. The Vistas and Summits have not gone up in price.

You are right, the summit 10x42 is about $175 (there is coupon code SAVE25). The Eagle Optics' Skyking is $210.

Is the coupon a discount in addition to the shown price? Or is the shown price the 20% discounted price?

Thanks in advance

I guess we all knew the demand would drive the prices up...how high will they goooooo........... Gwen

with the number of 7x36 ED2s I've seen sold recently on the Internet for less than half that price used, I wonder if it's "supply and demand" or the cost of having to retool this model because of the stray light issue?

John, recently on another BF Binocular thread you stated "this is why BF has become a total waste of time."
Don't agree with you at all.
However, your erroneous information about Zen-Ray prices did lead to a waste of time in verifying it or not.

with the number of 7x36 ED2s I've seen sold recently on the Internet for less than half that price used, I wonder if it's "supply and demand" or the cost of having to retool this model because of the stray light issue?
Hi Brocknroller..... I received my 7x36ED2 in the first wave & paid $369. + change. I have been watching the internet & have seen only 3 pair sell ...... for $275, 300. & 325. I suspect these prices reflected the depressed ecomony on top of the fact these indivudals might have not liked them for reasons they only know. I think its only a matter of time before the prices go higher. I remember when I could have bought my first leitz trinovids 8x32 for under $400 new, I waited 2 years & I had to pay $800. After using mine for a few months, I now would have been willing to pay a few hundred dollars more. The top Alpha brands dont seem to be coming down much if any, I think their prices will make the Zens even more attractive. I admit Iam bias toward Zen & I dont work for them but If I come across any used 7x36ED2 in new condition for half price, I would purchase them......Gwen

Something tells me with all the similar Chinese bins coming out under different company names,and all of similar optics quality,now would not be smart time to do a price hike...

John, recently on another BF Binocular thread you stated "this is why BF has become a total waste of time."
Don't agree with you at all.
However, your erroneous information about Zen-Ray prices did lead to a waste of time in verifying it or not.
It's not "my" information.
This is from their site...
http://www.zen-ray.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=250

The price says $649.00 and there's no mention of a discount on the page...maybe they'll add one to clarify the matter.

"priced higher than ever..."as are other models..." That is your statement that is not accurate.

None of their other models have gone up in price. In fact,as stated previously, the ZEN ED 8x43 and 10x43 have been reduced in price. The ZEN ED2 8x43 and 10x43 are still at the same price as before. The Vistas and Summits still remain less expensive than their respective Atlas competitors, the Radians and Sky Kings.

Last edited:
If this review has already been posted I apologize in advance.

http://www.holgermerlitz.de/zen7x36.html

Thanks for posting that, I hadn't read his October 2009 update explanation for why some people have glare problems and others don't. Also why this is more of a problem with the 7x36 than the eight and ten power Zen Rays. With my sixty year old eyes I don't think my pupils will open enough for the glare to be seen.

John

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back