• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ZEN ED2 9x36 (1 Viewer)

I could swear the Hawke Frontier ED has about 9x magnification. It's definitely a lot less than my Zeiss 10x, and I do know how to judge this.

It's a thrilling thought that the 8x36 also may be a 7x36...

You will not find much on the 9x36. I think I can provide some insight here. I have had two 9x36 and they both had issues. The 9x36 is probably responsible for the new and improved Zen Ray Optics that had introduced the ED 3 and is readying the new Prime HD. The new ZR is in a different production facility and is much more actively involved in product development, design, and quality control than they were in the period that ended with the ED 2. There were some absolutely terrible QC issues with the 9x36 related to personnel changes and other factors in the production of the ED 2. It started out well and good, but went to pot for the runs of the 9x36. The ZR rejection rate on those binoculars was astronomical. So Charles took necessary steps to make whatever changes he needed to make to keep the quality to his standards. That resulted in a new facility and different business arrangements. Unfortunately the x36 configuration is a victim of that changeover. As far as I know, whatever 9x36 he has have been taken out of the boxes and individually checked.

Putting the issues that the two I had aside, I think the 9x36, provided the qc is ok have every bit the optical capability of the 7x36. But their race is run, pretty much over at the gate.

Towit, moreofless indeed,

I am enamored w/ZR 7X36 ED2 and for how much my opinion is valued, not much by others as a rule , would highly recommend them to anyone seeking good glass/large field of view combined w/quality build and smooth mechanical operation. That's high praise from a skinflint that didn't bother to include the attractive and most affordable price into the mix from the get-go.

I have no interest whatsoever in parting w/these and I'm taken entirely unto the point of making many inquiries about the 9X36 ED2 models that are still available.

The open bridge and barrels housing 36 MM objectives are a delight to hold. Possibly a tad heavy, yet not overbearing and if given the opportunity to choose betwixt the twain I'd list towards a robust build in this price range. No doubt just as strong models could be built lighter, but also I fear it would be easier and cheaper to build lighter models that are weaker.

I've commented on the extra quarter turn beyond infinity of the focus wheel and I'd like to see the turn and a quarter that I use trimmed to one turn w/o the extra quarter on the end. It would be nice if there was an adjustable stop on infinity, so I could fine tune infinity. I haven't a clue or foggiest notion if that is even practical. Of course that would involve more manufacturing and I'd want them to charge less as long as I'm wanton. Though I've read some reviews on the ED3 w/one turn focusing, that felt the new and quicker focus was a bit fast for them, it only affirms that you can't please everyone all the time and compromises must be conceded.

I do not consider reviews as absolute truth, yet they tell a story about a product and about a person. I cast not aspersions unto character, however I cannot ignore the ratio of overall post count to reviews within this four page thread titled, ZEN ED2 9X36.

I also would care to thank you for pointing out, another post like your others as it gave me cause to read my past posts, from 3/11, as I haven't read them since posted.

I'm entertained and honoured to be considered Brockesque. Funny in that lately I've read w/great interest some of his posts and just now read six month old posts making comparisons to our writing style. Much to Monsieur Brock's chagrin I'm certain and were I him might feel the need to question the popular contention of alleged similarity.

Yes, I'm long of wind at times, but it isn't vanity about me. It's all about encouraging response be it rebuttal/agreement or even differing subject matter. So, my meager thread of 6.5X21 Papilio and ZR curiosity evolves into an affordable spotting scope that can be employed also as a backyard/deck observatory.

It's all good to the point that I'm considering posting in my original thread in essence resurrecting it from the dead, but I'm not quite sure if such bold breech of etiquette is kosher.

Perchance a sign from east of the Mississippi and Arkansas tributary convergence will shine light upon the murky water of the babbling brook in due course.
---
Thank Steve C for the succinct and detailed analysis. That makes sense and offers explanation to possibly why the nine power was excluded from the ED3 and Prime line. I can relate to the shortcomings of the smaller 36 MM objective when compared to the 40-44 MM, but some enjoy an 8X32. I thought the 9x might compliment the 7x, but w/limited reviews it left me a mite leery.

So, my meager thread of 6.5X21 Papilio and ZR curiosity evolves into an affordable spotting scope that can be employed also as a backyard/deck observatory.

Hmm, now that sounds interesting. What are we talking about here? Price range? Objective size? Zoom or fixed...or both? Maybe a new thread in the spotting scope forum would be in order. :)

Nixterdemus,

As I understand it the reason for the quarter turn of the focus knob past infinity is to accommodate those very nearsighted people who like to use binoculars without having to wear glasses. It is there to give room for the large diopter adjustment that they need to use.

Bob

My point is that I don't believe threads are hijacked as much as they evolve upon their own momentum culminated from casual material left by various posters not inherent to the subject at hand. Someone looking at my thread, including myself, learns what might ne'er been known due to drift. Some folks become upset that a rigid line isn't toed, but I think it's merely a natural progression and encourage extracurricular banter that continues discussion and exchange regardless of the original direction.

Frank, this is the gist of gent's posts.

deltahogfan,

I always caution those wanting to dip their toes into the world of telescopes that they won't be seeing anything like the pictures they find everywhere. Not even close. Those pix are made with HUGE apertures, long exposures, and often stacked images to enhance things even further. Most small scopes won't give you much at all. Sure craters on the moon, Pleiades, Orion's belt, Saturn's rings, the 4 largest moons of Jupiter, etc. but the later all very very small images with not much at all in the way of detail even with averted vision. The C90 in this context is a doable, inexpensive option that is better than cheap department store telescopes but again not in the class of higher quality refractors, reflectors, and compound scopes. It in no way comes close to my Intes-Micro Masutov-Newtonian (see thumbnail). So as long as your daughter understands all this she won't be disappointed and loose interest. Instead she will try to see the best that the small scope does provide and enjoy that. As an aside you might also take a look at a bit larger scope such as the C5 or Meade 125. They will be better as night time instruments but more cumbersome as spotters and also with a higher power lower magnification limit to deal with.

So..... now that we have your expectations throttled w-a-y back, lets look at the pluses and minuses of a small astro scope for spotting. The larger apertures indeed give you brighter high power images than you'll probably get with all but the best quality dedicated spotting scopes. Pressing the later with high power invariably gives dark views again in all but the best (read: expensive). BUT resolution with astro scopes in terrestrial mode also isn't in the same class unless you're talking high quality expensive tubes like those from Tele-Vue. But you will see bullet impacts at reasonable ranges (e.g 300m) and traces much further out with the C90. I really depends on what you want. For me it was a good move up from my decades old Korean Tasco 50mm spotter :) Certainly can't complain about the cost of the C90 at all. You get a LOT of bang for the buck in my view!
------
Thanks Bob for pointing that out to me. I wouldn't wish to exclude anyone from enjoying the view just so I wouldn't have an extra quarter turn to fret over. Although I still feel it would be nice to be able to set an infinity stop for each individual's needs I see where it could be tough covering a quarter turn. Just a thought.

Nix,

I certainly agree with your comments. There have been many occasions where I have started to read at thread about one particular product or issue only to discover the conversation going off on an entirely different tangent (current thread as a case in point). Many times that tangent can be as beneficial because my train of thought tends to follow the same path.

Good luck with your quest for the 9x36. Because of the issues that Steve mentioned I do believe your best chance to get a hold of one may be to contact Zen Ray directly. They may have a few "good units" that did pass the quality control inspection.

Thanks Frank. Not so much a quest as an enigma due in part to the well received 7X36, yet seemingly swept under the rug 9X36. I knew there was a logical reason. In light of the controversy, if indeed that description is justifiable, I'd think the 9 would be cheaper, but alas 'tis not the case.
Just as well as I'm a cheapskate and couldn't drop the hammer on the 7 w/o being demo fodder. Maybe the economy will continue to tank and ZR will slash DQ models even further. Somewhat of a morbid view I suppose. If nothing else I'm happy w/ED2 and they're quite the improvement from the little Bushnell 8x23.

I got my Zen 9x36 today. Having the 7x36 also I was able to compare them. All I can say is I'm thrilled with the view. I do notice the increased shake but I also notice the power increase in a very positive way. I do think I'm better off with a 9x than 10x just due to my age. Anyway I'm pleased as punch with them so far. I may have more to say about them later after I've had them awhile but they are so much like the 7x36 in handling that I doubt it. I did notice the 9x bin is about 1/4 inch shorter. The eye relief is different and easier for me to use than the 7x but I've completely trained myself with the 7x and no longer have partial blackouts on those either. I got lucky and made the right choice.

Last edited:
Can you comment more on the 9x vs. the 7x36 ED2? Specifically in terms of things like field curvature / pinchusion, size of sweet spot, quality of the edges, etc?

the 7x36 has that monster FOV but there are some compromises as we all know (fuzzy edges with that "halo", a lot of pincushion distortion). Are the 9x36 better in this respect?

I really don't feel qualified to speak on this with much detail except to say generally they are the same as far as casual viewing can tell. Sweet spot seems about the same in both and same for edges and pincushion. In fact everything seems about the same to me all around except there is more halo in the 7x.

I'm loving both pair a lot. Optically in the center views nothing else I have comes up to them. I don't really even bother with the Sightron now or the Fury and only the Ranger seems to have a similar center view but I'm not often into using 6x these days.

I'm not going to be able to give you more detail than that. I don't have enough experience nor am I a stickler for exact detail on these issues. I'm a loser (this beatles song was playing as I was typing this.)8-P

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back