• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Young eagle. Cuenca, Central Spain 24th november (1 Viewer)

fdokykcu

I saw this perched eagle in a nasty powerline tower this afternoon. In the field I was a little confused with what seemed to me more streaked breast than expected for SIE (not thinking on EIE, of course!), but after in the photos it seems to me more the spacing between feathers than actual streaks. Both Bonelli and Spanish Imperial are possible there (many rabbits) but Bonelli is less usual. I am nearly sure that it is an Spanish Imperial young, based mostly on heavy bill and contrast between coverts and the nearly black secondaries, but would like further opinions. Unfortunately I haven't other perspectives (showing tail, etc.) as I did not like to accidentally fly the bird in that position.

Attachments

• FAG_24112022_165880.jpg
    FAG_24112022_165880.jpg
    756.6 KB · Views: 84
  • FAG_24112022_165881.jpg
    FAG_24112022_165881.jpg
    807.2 KB · Views: 80
  • FAG_24112022_165882.jpg
    FAG_24112022_165882.jpg
    830.6 KB · Views: 79
  • FAG_24112022_165883.jpg
    FAG_24112022_165883.jpg
    750.3 KB · Views: 81
Last edited:
the spacing between feathers than actual streaks.
yes: shadows.
Both Bonelli and Spanish Imperial are possible there (many rabbits)
Nothing like Bonelli's for me, although it's a long time since I've seen that species. I've never seen Eastern Imperial Eagle but would be happy to call this Spanish Imperial Eagle [and be very pleased to have seen it this well].

[Not to get too pernickety, but please spell out the abbreviations at least once 'coz it's an international audience. In this case you'd (even) have the American contingent confused—it looks like their / Cornell's abbreviation for Spanish Eagle is some variant of "spaeag"]

I agree with THE_FERN on Spanish Imperial with full crop and thus spacing between feathers, which actually is an extremely interesting picture showing a real pitfall

Thanks to everyone for the confirmation and suggestions. My doubt was only with Bonelli juveniles (adult plumage is quite different, and I see them on a regular basis)

Thanks also to THE_FERN for the issue pointed out, I appreciate the remark.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back