• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yorkshire dales biding advice needed (1 Viewer)

dawny

Hi I'm staying near Hawes for a couple of weeks the beginning of July and wondered if anyone could give me a few tips on good birding spots or walks ( anything up to 10 miles Is fine) and what might be around.
Are there any black grouse left in Yorkshire and where would there be any chance of dotterel or are they just seen on passage?
I'd be grateful for any information Thanks ,

Hi Dawny, a bit late for dotterel the bulk of them will have moved through by now. Black grouse in Yorkshire are possible in Arkengarthdale which is North of Reeth. If interested I can pm a map of where. I'm not actually familiar with the area around Hawes but can vouch for the walks around Aysgarth being both spectacular and good for wildlife.

I don't often get into the High Dales,but the moors over towards Wharfedale turns up plenty of wheatear and pipits-get your book out,we have to!Aysgarth is good-even the cafe-treecreepers and allsorts aaround the feeders.You're far away enough from the Nidderdale shooting range to see good raptors as well. Check the streams for dippers-the young should be out of the nest by now ,and I can watch them for hours.
And it is god's own county!

Hi Dawny, a bit late for dotterel the bulk of them will have moved through by now. Black grouse in Yorkshire are possible in Arkengarthdale which is North of Reeth. If interested I can pm a map of where. I'm not actually familiar with the area around Hawes but can vouch for the walks around Aysgarth being both spectacular and good for wildlife.
Hi Keith Thanks for our offer to pm the map me. I've arrived in Yorkshire but have had no luck finding information locally .
I'd be really grateful if your offer still stands though I don't know how pming works on this site ,so I need a bit of help there too ��
Thanks Dawny

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back