• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yorkshire Birding (1 Viewer)

Nipped down to Tesco in Batley this morning and a peregrine went over, ace.

Had a trip to Thorne moors yesterday, tree pipit, cuckoo and plenty of hobby. My max count was 5 on the same thermal, a paltry amount after 20 had been reported earlier in the day.

Not sure if its in yorkshire but thres at lest 5 spotted redshanks in summer plumage at blacktoft sands and 4 greensand pipers 1 ruff 1 greenshank and lots of marsh harriers :t:

East of Hull

Can any tell me if you can park a car anywhere near Stone Creek, or Welwick area along the banks of the Humber also if so can you walk a dog along the Humber taking into account i always have him on a lead (and yes before the anti-dog brigade start i am one of the few who always picks up the muck and takes it away without leaving the bag hanging from trees fences etc), looked on the O/S map and according to it there is nowhere to park

Can any tell me if you can park a car anywhere near Stone Creek, or Welwick area along the banks of the Humber also if so can you walk a dog along the Humber taking into account i always have him on a lead (and yes before the anti-dog brigade start i am one of the few who always picks up the muck and takes it away without leaving the bag hanging from trees fences etc), looked on the O/S map and according to it there is nowhere to park

Yes, you can park at Stone Creek & at Welwick - but these are places where there is just room for a couple of cars or so to pull off the road rather than official car parks. All these and more are covered in 3rd edition of John Mather's Where to Watch Birds in Yorkshire
I Will try to give precise grid refs. Good to know there's at least one responsible dog owner
Stone Creek: TA 235 188
Welwick: TA 339 194

You can also park at Patrington Haven car park & walk down the bumpy lane to the riverside: TA 323 194.

It's a long way to come from Sheffield. Are you staying in the area?

Good luck

Yes, you can park at Stone Creek & at Welwick - but these are places where there is just room for a couple of cars or so to pull off the road rather than official car parks. All these and more are covered in 3rd edition of John Mather's Where to Watch Birds in Yorkshire
I Will try to give precise grid refs. Good to know there's at least one responsible dog owner
Stone Creek: TA 235 188
Welwick: TA 339 194

You can also park at Patrington Haven car park & walk down the bumpy lane to the riverside: TA 323 194.

It's a long way to come from Sheffield. Are you staying in the area?

Good luck

Thanks ever so much once more Michael for your help, i have a caravan in Withernsea and try to get when i can, only bought it at the back end of last year so not had too much time to discover the area, also at Spurn i do abide by the rules with the dog and only walk as far as the obsevatory before turning back. Will only get to visit Spurn once i can get the daughter to accompany the wife with the dog lol, thats the trouble when out walking with the wife she hates stopping for too long to look around so i tend to miss alot of birds

Had an interesting evening up at Timble tonight. Couple of Little Owls, lots of Mipits & a cuckoo. No LEOs or SEOs but someone gave me a good pointer for next time.Richard

Hi Richard - where do you go at Timble? Are you talking about the road over the moor towards Otley?

Had a walk round Kirk Smeaton crags and Brockadale this morning great views of Kingfisher sat on a overhanging branch spotted by the wife, lots of Yellowhammers around. Loads of singing Chiffchaffs and Blackcaps couple of Bullfinches showed well.
Lots of Butterflies around Ringlet Speckled Wood, Comma, Gatekeeper, Meadow Brown and 100s of Marbled White.

Does anyone know if the Salisbury site is the only place where the Great Bustards have been released, or are there other sites which are being kept secret?
The only reason I ask is that I have heard of a second hand report of a bird which "looked like a Great Bustard" flushed by a member of the public in North Yorks, at least 200 miles from Salisbury!

Does anyone know if the Salisbury site is the only place where the Great Bustards have been released, or are there other sites which are being kept secret?
The only reason I ask is that I have heard of a second hand report of a bird which "looked like a Great Bustard" flushed by a member of the public in North Yorks, at least 200 miles from Salisbury!

There was talk a few years ago of beginning a release programme in the Wolds, though I forget which bit - possibly north of Sledmere?

Given their size it'd be hard to mistake them for much else, surely? ...except maybe a rogue Ostrich ;)

little egret

A record count of little egrets that i have personally seen in South Yorkshire with 8 birds at Potteric Carr including 3 juveniles, other reports put the number at 12, last time i saw so many birds in one place was on the Humber at Kilnsea

Users who are viewing this thread

Back