• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Wyver Lane Nature Reserve (DWT) (1 Viewer)

Woodside Nature Reserve oops sorry Farm

Typical reply of rhetoric without reality, a charity with limited funds does not spend thousands of pounds to have 'miles' of fencing installed by contractors with a further substantial amount for the purchase of stock.

Selling meat and dairy products for the good of the local community? who benefits from this commercial enterprise? certainly not the 'locals' I have spoken to who maintain the DWT's acquisition of Woodside is a retrospective step in respect of wildlife, but the reply exudes the virtues of farming.

Although thousands can be spent on the farm, including the 'superbarn', how many hides are there at Woodside and Erewash Meadows? Zero!

At least some work has been carried out to placate the contrarians so Dave should be a bit happier at Wyver and John at Willington.

After birding the Woodside area for some 60 years (started work at the colliery when I was 15) I think the time has come for a tactical withdrawal so whatever is done will be of no consequence to my emotions.

Who knows maybe when the 'farm' fails they can always open a theme park ;)

The following is self-explanatory:-

Woodside Farm

Join us

At Woodside Farm, we are running a truly unique farming enterprise, offering locally reared lamb and beef which supports nature conservation.
Our expanding flock of Jacob ewes and Highland beef cattle is being raised at Woodside Nature Reserve near Ilkeston. This 74-hectare reserve is the largest in the county outside the Peak District National Park. It is on the site of the former Woodside Colliery, one of four that operated in this area until the 1960s. Part of the reserve once also formed car parks and fields owned by the American Adventure theme park. The reserve contains a variety of habitats including woodland, hay meadows and grasslands, and a network of small woodlands.
We are managing the extensive areas of grassland through a farming enterprise, which involves the sale of beef and lamb reared on the reserve. Our aim is to produce good quality meat products on a farm which demonstrates good conservation practices. The profits, together with money from government-funded initiatives such as Higher Level Stewardship, will enable us to invest further in habitat management and conservation work, improving the reserve for wildlife and visitors.
Our cattle graze rough grassland which is prime habitat for ground-nesting birds such as lapwing. Their grazing style creates a tussocky patchwork of grass which is ideal for all sorts of invertebrates and insects. Their dung is also a very important part of the ecosystem, attracting specific types of beetles and invertebrates, which in turn become food for birds, bats and other mammals. As they roam the site, the cattle keep the less desirable plants in check whilst allowing seeds of preferable plants and grass to germinate in their hoof indentations.
Our sheep are used to graze areas of grassland which are largely around lakes and former gravel pits. The sheep are used on some of our sites to keep the grass down to a very short, almost lawn, height as we are managing the grassland for wigeon which (like geese) graze short grass Our sheep also like to graze scrub which helps us to prevent it spreading into grassland areas, which in turn allows us to manage the grassland for farmland birds such as skylarks and yellowhammers.
Our view is that local is best, and because of this we only use local abattoirs and butchers. This reduces road miles and stress on the animals and makes it some of the least travelled meat you can buy.
Woodside Farm has public access through nearly all the fields where the animals are. You are welcome to walk here and look at the livestock, but please keep all dogs on leads and your distance from the animals. They can take fright and become stressed if pressured, especially when they have young.
If you have questions or queries, contact our Conservation Farming Officer. If you are interested in volunteering we are happy to have you. We require people to check livestock and to do regular checks on site, feed bird tables etc.

Prices

We price our beef and lamb per kilo. We sell our lamb in halves or wholes and our beef in 1/8th
Lamb is priced at £8.50 per kilo and beef at £10 per kilo. A box of beef usually costs between £170 and £220 while a lamb box is around £40-£65.
Both the lamb and beef come in individually shrink-wrapped joints and individually labelled with the name of joint and weight. Each ½ of lamb or 1/8th of beef also comes in a hygienic cardboard box which can be used to transport the meat home to your fridge/freezer. All our meat is fresh, never frozen so you have the longest shelf life possible.

About Us

The Derbyshire Wildlife Trust is a local charity working to protect and conserve the natural environment, raise awareness of wildlife issues and inspire people across Derbyshire and beyond.

Nuff Sed

Last edited:
Jack Snipe

Message from Dave about a prob Jack Snipe but no scope, so called home for mine and got it after directions from Dave who was still on it in the hide. We watched it bobbing around in the open but it was distant for digi scoping so best I could do! First of the autumn that we know about. Nice find Dave.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 56
I spent a large part of the day down Wyver on Thursday. My first main objective was to get myself on the mound for some viz migging. My first chance this year. Between 08.02-10.45 I had 118 Meadow Pipits. There was also c45 on the deck in front of the mound. There wasn't much else moving apart from 13 Stock Doves, 14 'alba' Wagtails, 10 Chaffinch, 25 House Martins, 3 Swallows and a single Siskin which is the first of the autumn.

On the main pool was 130 Teal, 14 Shoveler, 2 Gadwall, 2 Wigeon, a drake Mandarin, 98 Lapwings and 4 Snipe. Also of note was 3 Kestrel, c200 Starlings, 7 Chiffies, 4 Jays, 10 Mistle Thrush, Kingfisher and a Raven.

A bit later in the day I was in the hide scanning the waters edge when I picked up a bobbing Snipe sp. Almost certainly a Jack but I hadn't got my scope and having seen Common Snipe bob before I wanted to be 100%. But it looked smaller and shorter billed with those lovely golden stripes running along its back. Anyway, I called Dan who came down with scope and confirmed it as Jack Snipe. Only my second one for Wyver.

I went down Wyver again on Friday morning with Chris. Unfortunately no sign of the Jack Snipe but we did get a site record of 17 Shoveler. The previous best was 15. Although Dan beat it yesterday when he had 23!
Also on Friday was 147 Greylags, 234 Mallards, 6 Snipe, 100 lapwings and 102 BH Gulls.

The Jack Snipe was showing down Wyver again last night along the bank opposite the hide. I didn't pick it up until nearly half 6 when it was starting to drop dark. 128 Teal, 6 Shoveler, 102 Greylags, 120 Mallard and a single redhead Goosander the best on the pool. Also exactly 100 Lapwings and 6 Snipe.

When It was almost dark I was trying to count what was coming in to roost. A large number of Greylags flew in and with them was a white Goose. Because of it being so dark I can't be certain what it was but it possibly could have been a Snow Goose. I know one was at Locko Park with Greylags a few days ago. Obviously a feral bird if it was one but something potentially different for Wyver after the recent Red-breasted Goose.

The Goose that I thought could have been a Snow Goose on Monday was indeed a Snow Goose. It was feeding with Greylags (179) in the field behind the hide near enough in the same place as the Red-breasted Goose was 2 weeks ago. Although obviously of dodgy origin it was still nice to see something different.

Vis migging was a little disappointing but practically clear skies certainly wouldn't have helped. All I got was 19 Mipits, 24 'alba' Wags inc a flock of 8, 9 Chaffinch, 7 Stock Doves, a Siskin and a single Swallow.

On the main pool was 170 Mallard, 142 Teal (Chris B), 6 Shoveler, a drake Gadwall, 41 BH Gulls, 105 Lapwings and 3 Snipe.

A couple of Chiffchaffs in song and a Kingfisher being the best of the rest.

First visit this year, due to ill health. Found out when tried wrong code on hide door padlock! Pleasant 90 minutes with sightings recorded in the book. Highlight was male mandarin. As walked back to car 3 mistle thrushes flew over and a sparrowhawk passed on a mission! Memo to self, make more visits. went onto Carsington. Great selection from wildlife hide, gadwall, little and great-crested grebes and numerous coot to mention just 3.

Phil

Phil, we must have just missed you yesterday morning. We were there at first light but left shortly after 09.00. Hope your health improves.

My first visit to Wyver for almost a fortnight. The only thing that had changed was the higher water levels which meant no waders. Early morning vis migging produced 1819 Wood Pigeons through mainly to the west. Also 82 Starlings, 5 alba Wagtails and a Greenfinch. There were small birds moving too but quite high.

On the main pool were 128 Canada Geese, 95 Mallards, 6 Shoveler, a single Wigeon, 64 Teal and 82 BH Gulls. A couple of Goldcrests down the lane, 2 Buzzards and 2 Kestrels and that's about it.

By Wyver's standards this morning was more than satisfactory. I went down with Viz migging in mind but it was quite evident due to the murk that it wasn't going to be very good. I did have 12 Skylarks inc a flock of 5, 21 Redwings and 66 Starlings but that was about it.

At 08.25 2 Shelduck dropped in on the main pool. Also on the main pool was 72 Teal, 7 Shoveler and a drake Pochard. Whilst I was on the mound I thought I heard a Redshank. I dismissed it as I didn't hear it again and didn't see anything. Then a little later from the hide there was a Redshank feeding on the bank in front of the hide. A very common wader but a rare sight down Wyver. Later on it was feeding alongside the gulls on the right hand side of the pool. There was also 1 Snipe and 13 Lapwings.

4 Cormorants were feeding on the pool earlier in the day along with 2 Grey Herons. 119 BH Gulls, a single Common Gull, and 3 Lessers over.

Other stuff of note was 2 Buzzards, Kestrel, Sparrowhawk, 15 Meadow Pipits, Grey Wag, Pied Wag, Goldcrest, Treecreeper, Raven, Greenfinch, 13 Goldfinch, 2 Bullfinch, GS Woodpecker and a Jay.

Last edited:
Not a great deal to report down Wyver this morning. The best was 8 Mandarin on the main pool and 2 redhead Goosander flew through. The usual suspects were there as in Grey Heron (2), Cormorant, Teal (30), Buzzard (2), Kestrel, Sparrowhawk and BH Gull (121). A Little Owl was calling from the field behind the hide.

Very murky up until about 10.00 so nothing was moving. I did have 3 Skylarks, 2 Siskins and a Redpoll after the fog had lifted.

Had an hour early afternoon yesterday with little else to add to Daves notes. The only duck were Teal but a guy was fishing the bank on the reserve side which didn't help. There was also a sports car in the layby with two chaps in the field behind seemingly picking mushrooms. Don't they need permission?

Raptors were well represented by a pair of hunting Kestrel, female Sprawk, 2 Buzzards and a Peg over. Also 3 Raven over Crich Lane.

Plenty of BH Gulls with this lone 3rd w LBB, 1 Heron and a Cormorant on the lake.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    276.5 KB · Views: 28
A huge count of 1'100 BH Gulls on Wyver today. I knew there was going to be a good count as several fields had been ploughed and there was also muck spreading going on. With all the Gulls feeding in those fields it was only a matter of time before they dropped on the pool for a bathe. I was hoping for a Med Gull too but had to settle for 5 Common Gulls and 2 Lessers.

On the main pool was 2 Grey Herons, 68 Teal, a Wigeon, 6 Shoveler and 6 Snipe. Also a Little Grebe and a pair of Gadwall on the upper pool.

Into roost tonight was c120 Greylags, 98 Mallards and 2 Goosanders. A Little Owl was calling from the field behind the layby and a small Bat sp was flying around us despite the cold and rain.

On Friday there were 2 female Goldeneye on the main pool. A rare sight down Wyver and in fact the first record this year. With the Goldeneye was a female Tufted Duck which was the first record for a couple of months.

The dodgy Geese just keep on giving down Wyver. After the recent Red-breasted Goose and white morph Snow Goose, today there were 2 blue morph Snow Geese. I'm guessing that these are part of the flock of 4 that were at Carsington in July and are obviously doing the rounds in the county.

14 Gadwall on the main pool represents a good number for Wyver. Also 76 Teal, 6 Wigeon, 2 Shoveler, and 109 Mallards in to roost. Talking of which, I was standing near the layby counting the Mallards coming in. As it was dropping dark I caught sight of a drake Mallard flying in near the power lines when all of a sudden it dropped to the floor presumably after hitting the lines. This is the first time I've seen this at Wyver although I have seen a few corpses over the years which I presumed had succumbed to the same fate.

Not much else to report apart from a Little Owl calling near dusk and a couple of Goldcrests near the mound.

The 2 presumed escaped blue morph Snow Geese down Wyver again this evening. As usual they flew in with Greylags (144) near dusk.
85 Mallards also into roost and 5 Mandarin over. 7 Gadwall on the top pool and 2 Shoveler on the main pool. A Little Grebe on the top pool and a Little Owl calling near dusk.

yesterday

The 2 presumed escaped blue morph Snow Geese down Wyver again this evening. As usual they flew in with Greylags (144) near dusk.
85 Mallards also into roost and 5 Mandarin over. 7 Gadwall on the top pool and 2 Shoveler on the main pool. A Little Grebe on the top pool and a Little Owl calling near dusk.

had a run down yesterday morning about 9-0 clock very enjoyable last visit was a year ago , just a quick question no bird feeders up round the trees for the small birds , plenty of gulls just wondered why no feeders ,
going to visit again enjoyed it
mick(escapee from ogston was banned )

had a run down yesterday morning about 9-0 clock very enjoyable last visit was a year ago , just a quick question no bird feeders up round the trees for the small birds , plenty of gulls just wondered why no feeders ,
going to visit again enjoyed it
mick(escapee from ogston was banned )

Mick, there's a hopper type feeder right in front of the hide which the small birds utilise. It's been there for a few years. All the usual birds you would expect use it including sometimes Reed Buntings. There's also a tray feeder near the mound which is there for bird food that anyone cares to bring down. I topped both up yesterday.

A couple of hours down Wyver yesterday didn't produce a great deal. I only went down to see if the Green-winged Teal that flew off from nearby Kilburn was there but unfortunately it wasn't. In fact there wasn't many Teal at all. Only 28, also 6 Wigeon, 3 Shoveler, 2 Gadwall, a Little Grebe, 2 Grey Herons and 3 Cormorants.

There was a few Gulls though. Over 500 BH Gulls and 2 Common Gulls on the pool. 32 LBB Gulls through SW and 10 Herrings through South. A single Skylark over, a Goldcrest by the mound.

Wyver yesterday produced a few bits. A count of 20 Wigeon is good by recent standards. A Little Grebe on the top pool. 9 Gadwall, 52 Teal, a drake Shoveler and 2 Tufties all on the main pool and 13 Mandarin on the river.

The 2 blue morph Snow Geese are still around with 132 Greylags and 85 Canadas. 286 BH Gulls and a 1st winter Common Gull. And a cracking adult female Peregrine through.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back