• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

World Yearlist Record Attempt (1 Viewer)

Well with 4,369 species in 261 days, the current remaining itinerary according to the website looks like this:-
Western Ghats - 5 further days
Delhi - 8 days
Myanmar - 7 days
Sichuan - 10 days
Philippines - 10 days
Thailand - 8 days
Malaysia - 12 days
Borneo - 6 days
Sulawesi - 7 days
Papua New Guinea - 10 days
Cairns - 4 days
Darwin - 4 days
Perth - 5 days
Sydney - 4 days
New Zealand - 3 days

It's still coming out between 5,500 and 6,000 species isn't it?

All the best

Last edited:
Have I overlooked this Q somewhere,

how Is this funded, privately, sponsored?

Gonna come in at six figures? ££££££

Andy

Last edited:
Have I overlooked this Q somewhere,

how Is this funded, privately, sponsored?

Gonna come in at six figures? ££££££

Andy

Link here:-

https://www.audubon.org/magazine/january-february-2015/welcome-birding-without-borders

'I’m certainly not wealthy; like other full-scale expeditions, this one is financed by advances and sponsorships.'

So sponsorship, book deals, etc but he is relying on locals, contacts, etc.

Meanwhile, he now sits on 4,397 with 153 from 7 days in India. The previous record added 322 from 33 days in India but had already done Malaysia at that point:-

http://www.audubon.org/news/the-species-list

All the best

Last edited:
Surprised there's been no problems with Montezuma's revenge, Delhi belly, etc., etc., etc. I'd have expected a few days to be lost to various diseases with so much of the year in the tropics in countries with less-than-ideal health conditions.

When I've been backpacking for long periods, i got my folks to post guide books to the poste restante of the local city and i would pick them up.
That's how to do it in the twentieth century style. I'm sure today's futuristic techno kids have a better solution.

Gripping stuff, but I hope that if and when he gets to write his trip up that he makes a better job of it than 'The Biggest Twitch' which, I regret to say, I found virtually unreadable and gave up on. I mean no disrespect to Alan Davies & Ruth Miller as I think to make such accounts an interesting read (rather than a repetitive list of birds) is very hard indeed and something to which only the most talented writers can aspire.

Fully agree, very poorly written indeed. I really hope he can produce something far better that will grace his excellent achievement.

How Noah keeps his guidebooks? Does he carry them all around? Does he give away used ones? ;)
From next year, anyone doing a big year will just need a birding waistcoat with pockets big enough for the two volumes of the HBW/BirdLife Illustrated Checklist. ;)

How Noah keeps his guidebooks? Does he carry them all around? Does he give away used ones? ;)

Considering he's going everywhere with the local top guide, I'm guessing he could just look at the guide's field guide if he wants to check something out, and won't need to carry a single field guide himself.

Gripping stuff, but I hope that if and when he gets to write his trip up that he makes a better job of it than 'The Biggest Twitch' which, I regret to say, I found virtually unreadable and gave up on. I mean no disrespect to Alan Davies & Ruth Miller as I think to make such accounts an interesting read (rather than a repetitive list of birds) is very hard indeed and something to which only the most talented writers can aspire.

I quite enjoyed it. There's a book by an Australian called Sean Dooley who did a 'big year' which I read on Kindle and thoroughly enjoyed. He can write. https://www.allenandunwin.com/brows...aphy/The-Big-Twitch-Sean-Dooley-9781741145281 but I gather his record has been 'smashed' since then (2002).

Also amazing that his laptop has survived so long, with all the tropical heat/humidity - they're not exactly designed to be waterproof! (and also not been stolen, either!)

Given he can afford the best bird guides and all those flights, I'm sure he can afford more than one laptop!
Seems a bit hollow to me, being shown lots of birds by bird guides as fast as possible. But then what do i know?

Given he can afford the best bird guides and all those flights, I'm sure he can afford more than one laptop!
Seems a bit hollow to me, being shown lots of birds by bird guides as fast as possible. But then what do i know?

John

Read the blogs. Look at the photos. Scan the species list. Scratch your head at the logistics. Wonder, salivate, dream. Hollow? Really..... This I find pretty awe-inspiring and is making me tremendously jealous.

On the book front, I enjoyed Kingbird Highway and The Big Twitch but my favourite is The Big Year. I've picked that off the shelf more frequently than the others to re-read.

All the best

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back