• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Winchester - Anything nearby (1 Viewer)

danake2

I am of to Winchester on Sunday for a few days. Does anyone know of any good places nearby to go While the wife goes shopping.

Neil

hello there,
speaking as someone from winchester there are several good birdwatching sites within the city and surrounding countryside. here's some top tips (grid references of entrances, car parks, viewpoints etc)

winnall moors - reedbeds, river, woodland, scrub and water meadows, common riverside birds including cetti's warbler, little grebe, reed bunting etc, water vole likely, chance of kingfisher (SU 486 296)

winchester sewage farm - okay so not the best smelling location but large numbers of gulls + lapwings, plus other waders likely, hobby possible and chats often in the vicinity at this time of year + other migrants. viewable from the layby on Morestead Road (SU 490 279) rarities have included black-winged stilt, cattle egret, pectoral sandpiper, grey phalarope etc

winchester water meadows - cetti's warbler, water rail, reed bunting, water vole, grey wagtail, kingfisher etc all possible along the river and in the water meadows. rarities have included little bittern, little auk, yellow-browed warbler, cattle egret etc. parking at St. Catherines Hill (SU 483 280) then following the public footpaths

if you're willing to go out of the city a bit there is cheesefoot head and longwood warren (cSU5227) which has breeding Corn Bunting, Hobby etc, and Quail have been calling this year, might be Red Kite there as well

teamsaint - Thanks for the information. I think I will miss the winchester sewage farm But winchester water meadows and winnall moors could be the ones for me.
Thanks again
Neil

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back