• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Will a hawk try to take a dog? (1 Viewer)

MichelleOhio

I put up a new bird feeding station last Saturday and have since noticed a hawk (think it's a RTH) checking it out. Just a couple fly-bys until today when it landed in a neighbors tree. It didn't stay long, but it wasn't hanging out BEFORE I put up the feeders.

I have an eight pound Chihuahua and I've read that hawks have tried taking them, but usually find they are too large and drop them -- after already injuring them with their talons. These were smaller (5lb) dogs. My dog loves being outside with his big (60lb) sister and I would hate to have something happen to him.

Do they usually take larger prey? Do I have reason to be concerned?

When I was a kid in rural NE PA we had a Rat Terrier that weighed about 6-7 pounds. My Dad often worried about a Hawk carrying him off. It never bothered me though. The dog was too tough. After he got rid of our infestation of Rats he enjoyed mixing it up with Groundhogs and had scars on his muzzle to prove it!

I wouldn't worry too much. A Red-tailed Hawk weighs about 2.5 lbs +/- on average and is much too small to carry your dog off. Although it could cause some damage trying to. Not to mention sustaining some damage to itself!

Also, the hawk you have seen hanging around your new bird feeder might be a Cooper's Hawk which is even smaller than a Red-tail. They like to check out bird feeders for potential prey.

Cordially,
Bob

Last edited:
Thanks, Ceasar. I'll try to get a picture of the hawk this weekend to get a better ID. Looked like a good sized bird, but that may be because he's hanging around where I usually see songbirds.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back