• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Wild in Aberdeen - City and Shire (1 Viewer)

I also seen the Redhead this morning,before heading up to Strathbeg and the Ythan.Nothing seen out of the usual but a lovely day for birding in our area.

Hi Ben, when were you there? I was there at around midday, presume you were there earlier?

ATB,

Joseph

The Redhead was on show again today, along with a photogenic Tufted Duck....

Attachments

• Smew.jpg
    Smew.jpg
    169.7 KB · Views: 70
  • Tufty.jpg
    Tufty.jpg
    125.4 KB · Views: 52
Hi Ben, when were you there? I was there at around midday, presume you were there earlier?

ATB,

Joseph

Hi Joseph.I was there at 9am before continuing to the Ythan and Strathbeg.Not for me but my wife thinks the Redhead looks like "Woody Woodpecker"..! Needless to say,she doesnt come birding often.However,there was also a GS Woodpecker drumming in the trees next to the Loch.

Last edited:
The Redhead was on show again today, along with a photogenic Tufted Duck....

Lovely photos Mark. Maybe worth mentioning for anyone still to see the Smew, today it was on the smaller, upper pond. Contrary to Joseph's experience, I found her rather nervous, maybe because she felt more hemmed in than in the main pool. I've some photos too which I'm off to process shortly.

here's the best of mine. Not enough light for anything better. This was at 10.46, when were you there Mark?

Attachments

• _MG_1343.jpg
    _MG_1343.jpg
    184.3 KB · Views: 69
here's the best of mine. Not enough light for anything better. This was at 10.46, when were you there Mark?

That's a very nice photo you have there Ken! Even though you seem to feel that you could do better, I admire that shot very much! You also have some lovely photos there Mark, particularly the Tufted Duck one - stunning stuff :t: .

Ah, thank you for telling me Ben, it was just that there were a couple of other birders on site when I was there and I had the suspicion that one of them might have been you, but now you tell me you were there at 9 then that confirms that we didn't bump into each other. Well done on seeing the Smew everyone, its a truly lovely bird I must say. o:). For other photos that I took of the bird, here is a link to my flickr, any thoughts on any photos are welcome. :t:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/josephbirdphotography/

Thanks,

Joseph

I was there about midday, there was another photographer there with the most enormous (!) telephoto lens I've ever seen, quite put my Sigma 150-500 to shame.

I don't usually bother with the "mine's bigger than yours" syndrome but the cost of that piece of glass must have been eye-watering...

Hi all,

Not expecting anyone to know necessarily, but I was thinking about checking Red Moss of Netherely for the Great Grey Shrike. The thing is, it hasn't been reported for a couple of weeks. I was wondering, does anyone know if it has actually gone (i.e. has anyone checked and failed to see it)? Or has lack of observers and visitors to the site meant that it hasn't been reported for a while? If any of you know anything about this, I would really appreciate it if you informed me. Thank you. :t:

ATB,

Joseph

Hi all,

Not expecting anyone to know necessarily, but I was thinking about checking Red Moss of Netherely for the Great Grey Shrike. The thing is, it hasn't been reported for a couple of weeks. I was wondering, does anyone know if it has actually gone (i.e. has anyone checked and failed to see it)? Or has lack of observers and visitors to the site meant that it hasn't been reported for a while? If any of you know anything about this, I would really appreciate it if you informed me. Thank you. :t:

ATB,

Joseph

Hi Joseph,

I was there again (the original location in the centre of the moss) on 9th Jan and did not see it that day. Also had just a really quick look at the place it had been seen at NW corder of moss without success. On the dates I did see it the bird was ranging widely. I would not be suprised if it is still there and simply not been looked for. Equally possible it has moved on with the milder weather. Sorry not very helpful I know....

For interest, crap diatant photo attached from first date (27 Dec).

Good luck if you do go,

Nick

Attachments

• GGS Netherley 27122010 b.JPG
    GGS Netherley 27122010 b.JPG
    157.5 KB · Views: 71
Aberdeen Red Kites

Does anyone have a definitive list of the tag numbers on the Aberdeen Red Kites? I took some photos of Nos. 35 and 77 on Friday in the Echt/Garlogie area and I am being asked for a little more info on these birds (age/sex etc) on another site.

Ta for any info :t:
Mark

Hi Joseph,

I was there again (the original location in the centre of the moss) on 9th Jan and did not see it that day. Also had just a really quick look at the place it had been seen at NW corder of moss without success. On the dates I did see it the bird was ranging widely. I would not be suprised if it is still there and simply not been looked for. Equally possible it has moved on with the milder weather. Sorry not very helpful I know....

For interest, crap diatant photo attached from first date (27 Dec).

Good luck if you do go,

Nick

Hi Nick,

Don't worry, its hard for anyone to know if its still around, thank you for the information :t:. By the sounds of it no-one has gone to look for it recently so I guess if I do go tomorrow that I'll just have to accept that it's 50/50 that its gone or is still there.

I was out birding today. I must say it was pretty quiet, but 3 Ruffs at Strathbeg were very unseasonal and two Long-tailed Ducks from Inches Point at the Ythan were nice.

ATB,

Joseph

Hi Nick,

Don't worry, its hard for anyone to know if its still around, thank you for the information :t:. By the sounds of it no-one has gone to look for it recently so I guess if I do go tomorrow that I'll just have to accept that it's 50/50 that its gone or is still there.

I was out birding today. I must say it was pretty quiet, but 3 Ruffs at Strathbeg were very unseasonal and two Long-tailed Ducks from Inches Point at the Ythan were nice.

ATB,

Joseph

Hi Joseph,

I'm actually going to be out on the moss (on the central, SWT reserve part where the shrike was originally) on Tuesday morning. Will report back here whether I see the bird or not.

Cheers

Nick

Thanks for that!

So this bird is either a 2000 or 2009 vintage by that chart - I suspect the latter but you never know (apologies for the poor photo but it was the only one of No.77).

TTFN
Mark

Attachments

• Backview.jpg
    Backview.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 46
Thanks for that!

So this bird is either a 2000 or 2009 vintage by that chart - I suspect the latter but you never know (apologies for the poor photo but it was the only one of No.77).

TTFN
Mark

77 will be a 2009 release as the project only started in 2007. This bird is mentioned in the following Aberdeen Red Kite Blog entry:

http://www.rspb.org.uk/community/blogs/aberdeenredkites/archive/2010/11/30/where-are-they-now.aspx

They are always keen to get reports of sightings where the tag number can be read.

Hi Joseph,

I'm actually going to be out on the moss (on the central, SWT reserve part where the shrike was originally) on Tuesday morning. Will report back here whether I see the bird or not.

Cheers

Nick

Hi Nick,

I successfully saw the Great Grey Shrike at Red Moss today, so it all paid off in the end :t: . It was viewable 200-300m south of the Lairhillock turn off on the B979. I spotted it on top of one of the trees at the side of the road whilst we were driving along so we didn't have to turn off and follow the directions given on ABZ, making it was much easier than I expected - a stroke of pure luck. It mostly favoured an area of young sapling trees not very far away from the road, but was quite mobile. I also had it in the fields on the otherside of the road. I really wasn't expecting it to be around, but its fantastic that it is. I've got some pictures attached below (managed to get within 40ft when it was on the otherside of the road), although they are pretty poor due the low light levels. Hope it is still there when you go on Tuesday.

ATB,

Joseph

Attachments

• 5102 (2) - Copy.JPG
    5102 (2) - Copy.JPG
    187.5 KB · Views: 65
  • 5103 (2) - Copy.JPG
    5103 (2) - Copy.JPG
    202.9 KB · Views: 60
  • 5108 (2) - Copy.JPG
    5108 (2) - Copy.JPG
    316.4 KB · Views: 77
  • 5110 (2) - Copy.JPG
    5110 (2) - Copy.JPG
    345.3 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:
Hi Nick,

I successfully saw the Great Grey Shrike at Red Moss today, so it all paid off in the end :t: . It was viewable 200-300m south of the Lairhillock turn off on the B979. I spotted it on top of one of the trees at the side of the road whilst we were driving along so we didn't have to turn off and follow the directions given on ABZ, making it was much easier than I expected - a stroke of pure luck. It mostly favoured an area of young sapling trees not very far away from the road, but was quite mobile. I also had it in the fields on the otherside of the road. I really wasn't expecting it to be around, but its fantastic that it is. I've got some pictures attached below (managed to get within 40ft when it was on the otherside of the road), although they are pretty poor due the low light levels. Hope it is still there when you go on Tuesday.

ATB,

Joseph

crikey, i should check into this thread more often. that's nice and close to me, hopefully i'll get a chance to go and have a look before it moves on. cracking pictures joseph.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back