• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Wild in Aberdeen - City and Shire (1 Viewer)

Waxwings

Grampian Ringing Group have colour ringed 112 Waxwings this weekend, with 59 ringed within the city. Can birders please keep a look out for these marked birds in within the city and also further afield. Even local resightings let us know how far the birds are foraging/ranging so do please let us know. The birds are uniquely marked with 3 colour rings on their left leg and metal over white on the right leg.

Sightings can be reported through ABZ Yahoo group or directly to [email protected]. Please check our website for updates and movements of this fantastic bird http://grampianringing.blogspot.com/ !

Cheers

LC

Grampian Ringing Group have colour ringed 112 Waxwings this weekend, with 59 ringed within the city. Can birders please keep a look out for these marked birds in within the city and also further afield. Even local resightings let us know how far the birds are foraging/ranging so do please let us know. The birds are uniquely marked with 3 colour rings on their left leg and metal over white on the right leg.

Sightings can be reported through ABZ Yahoo group or directly to [email protected]. Please check our website for updates and movements of this fantastic bird http://grampianringing.blogspot.com/ !

Cheers

LC

Here's one of those 112 (I think featuring LC's hand!).

Attachments

• Waxwing_Allenvale_311010a.jpg
    Waxwing_Allenvale_311010a.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 241
Here's one of those 112 (I think featuring LC's hand!).

Hi Andrew,

Yup, looks like my picking (and ringing) hand ! Glad everyone enjoyed looking at the birds and got nice piccies - Waxies really are incredibly beautiful birds in situ but when you see them in hand they transcend even the field views.

Keep checking your photos for clr ringed birds ! I don't think we have had a 'control' yet so see who can be first !

Cheers,

LC (cryptically)

I'm seeing Waxwings just about every day first thing at the moment e.g. 150-200 over Union Grove Lane, Aberdeen this morning at 07:45 (third time in a week). I don't know where they're feeding as yet.If they're around again tomorrow I'll investiigate.

Cheers

Dont know if this is the right place to post this but will anyway The mods can shift it if need be :)
I was on the Ythan this morning and saw the strangest thing (To me that is) 2 brent Geese one had a black front and the other a white.
Anyone else seen them out there?
Was wondering if they are the same birds or if there is a diffrence ..

Cheers
AL

Dont know if this is the right place to post this but will anyway The mods can shift it if need be :)
I was on the Ythan this morning and saw the strangest thing (To me that is) 2 brent Geese one had a black front and the other a white.
Anyone else seen them out there?
Was wondering if they are the same birds or if there is a diffrence ..

Cheers
AL

There are quite often a few Brent Geese on the Ythan. These usually tend to be pale-bellied hrota but occasionally dark bellied bernicla turn up. The other possibility is that the dark bellied bird was a juvenile hrota, which tend to be much darker underneath than adults. Juveniles show some barring on the upperparts and lack the neck patch of adults.

As the winter nights draw in reserve staff minds turn to writing annual reports and producing interesting if possibly pointless stats. Anyway Tims text about the green winged teal in front of Fen Hide this afternoon makes 2010 the best year on record at Loch of Strathbeg with 206 species recorded on / from the reserve - and we still have the possibility of things like iceland gull, bearded tit, black redstart and long eared owl.
Not a bad little haul for any relatively small area of mainland Scotland.

First winter Iceland Gull late yesterday afternoon in Peterhead harbour. Sorry for the delayed posting, been tied up most of the day. Now, what will the next few days' north winds bring?

Apocalyptic Weather?

Morning. It's far too cold for an amateur like me to be out birding, but from the comfort of my living room i've seen hundreds of birds flying down the coast towards Montrose this morning, apparently trying to put themselves beyond the reach of the slowly advancing (snow) cloud.

Mostly geese sp., but also plovers, pipits and finches - all by the absolute bucketload.

I'm supposed to be going into town to see the rugby today, but i honestly wouldn't be surprised if i saw a flock of 15 Samoans go past the window.

Happy birding,

Kevt

Not a lot to be seen today on the Ythan estuary, but this swan flypast was nice. Probably the most interesting thing was meeting Joseph and discussing all things avian and photographic.

Attachments

• _MG_1310.jpg
    _MG_1310.jpg
    141.7 KB · Views: 56
Here's something you don't see every day - at least not in these parts.

Photo taken at the back of our house by my dad, who lives next door.

Attachments

• 276 Jay on Nuts.jpg
    276 Jay on Nuts.jpg
    330 KB · Views: 89
The best I can usually do is a white rump disappearing into the depths of the forest!

A nice garden find.

D

On a sad note Dr Alan Knox reported the death, suddenly last night, of S.M.D. Alexander (Sam) well-known local watcher and photographer. I once borrowed his scope to look at a Belted KIngfisher.

This thread I feel is sadly being neglected somewhat by Aberdeenshire based birders at the moment, so I thought I'd post a couple of picture of redhead Smew taken in Bridge of Don at Lochside Pond today. A lovely little bird, my first in Aberdeenshire for quite some time and a great bird to have just 10 minutes' drive away!

Attachments

• 5107 - Copy.JPG
    5107 - Copy.JPG
    193.6 KB · Views: 80
  • 5112 - Copy.JPG
    5112 - Copy.JPG
    191.3 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:
I also seen the Redhead this morning,before heading up to Strathbeg and the Ythan.Nothing seen out of the usual but a lovely day for birding in our area.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back