• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Wierd Wigeon Hybrid (1 Viewer)

Egret

Seen today at Irvine, Scotland with large flock of Wigeon. We are favouring Wigeon x Wood Duck but also considered Wigeon x Teal.
The bird is the size of a Wigeon.

Pleased to know what others think.

Andy

p.s. apologies for quality of image; digiscope amateurs!

Attachments

• DSC02871_0090--web-ready.jpg
    DSC02871_0090--web-ready.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 201
  • DSC02858_0077-web-ready.jpg
    DSC02858_0077-web-ready.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 109
First impression was wigeon x Wood duck.

The shape of the bill base, hint of black spur between the flank and the chest, crested appearance even at rest and the tail shape strongly suggest Wood duck to me.
Also the lack of vermiculation on the flank would be weird for wigeon x teal.

anybody PM-ing jörn lehmhus or dave appleton as these are far from easy. even the involvement of wigeon to me seems questionable - might pintail be an option instead of wigeon?

I think we can savely exclude Wigeon x Teal. though these are varable, i have never seen a head pattern like this in any of those .

compare some here :
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-Xo9EQm1h3_g/T1ZAxSD3OrI/AAAAAAAABmc/sLAxTUv5CYQ/s1600/Image-1.jpg

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/217/photo046fl7.jpg/

you see teal head pattern is very much retained in these.

the head pattern, bill shape and pattern as well as the black spot on the flank of the odd bird let me think wood duck hybrid. As the scapuars do not seem black, with one of the northern wigeons.

Hi Folks

Thanks for all the interesting replies. In the end I am just going to call it "interesting". I am also going to use it in my RSPB group's Xmas ID quiz.

Andy

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back