• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Why not a German Name on German Binoculars? (1 Viewer)

St. Elmo

Why is the name on my Zeiss Victory FL "Victory FL" rather than "Seig FL" ??? After all, "Ultravid" is a name made up by the ad guys, but victory is an English word - not a German one. Just curious.

Why is the name on my Zeiss Victory FL "Victory FL" rather than "Seig FL" ??? After all, "Ultravid" is a name made up by the ad guys, but victory is an English word - not a German one. Just curious.

Victory is Sieg.

Seig is a word invented by a certain right wing political group whose members saluted each other using this word. :eek!:

I suppose they use Victory because English is spoken in a number of their target markets and English is a lingua franca readily understood by millions if not billions of non native English speakers.

The German term would not be understood across the world. That's my guess anyway.

Tom

Germans like english expressions, too.

Even if (or especially because) most of my fellow germans dont understand them anyway. Or crossly contort them.

The German railway company, for example, named their public toilets "McClean".:C

Germans like english expressions, too.

Even if (or especially because) most of my fellow germans dont understand them anyway. Or crossly contort them.

The German railway company, for example, named their public toilets "McClean".:C

Not that far off........

Why, for that matter, name binoculars "Victory" in any language? Victory over what? Personally, I've always disliked the name as being particularly risible and inane even by marketing standards, right up there with "Fury" and "Viper". Somebody obviously thinks dumb names sell binoculars & maybe they do, just not to me, definitely not to me. . ..

;)

As Tom pointed out, they wouldn't be generally understood and in addition German words tend to be long.
One of my favourites is "Thrombozytenaggregationshemmer," a term used to describe blood thinning medication, e.g. 100 mg Aspirin tablets. A non-German trying to pronounce that would probably have a stroke!

John

Historically, I'm a huge fan of Zeiss but thanks to WWII, NOBODY will EVER sell me anything German with the word 'seig' on it. But let us diplomatically blame the Americans as usual- the word 'victory' is pandering to their huge buying power.

Why, for that matter, name binoculars "Victory" in any language? Victory over what? Personally, I've always disliked the name as being particularly risible and inane even by marketing standards, right up there with "Fury" and "Viper". Somebody obviously thinks dumb names sell binoculars & maybe they do, just not to me, definitely not to me. . ..

;)

Agreed...just make the product...label it X or y or Z...who cares?...the product quality sells itself, the price point ....and a whole bunch of intangibles...but surely not the name....

Historically, I'm a huge fan of Zeiss but thanks to WWII, NOBODY will EVER sell me anything German with the word 'seig' on it. But let us diplomatically blame the Americans as usual- the word 'victory' is pandering to their huge buying power.

Maybe they can make one called the "Royal Mountie" for sale in Canada? Of course it will have to say the same thing in French on it too I would guess. I should check with my sister-in-law who is Canadian to find find out if that will be necessary.

Bob

Maybe they can make one called the "Royal Mountie" for sale in Canada? Of course it will have to say the same thing in French on it too I would guess. I should check with my sister-in-law who is Canadian to find find out if that will be necessary.

Bob

To stay true to the name, the bino would have to taser you randomly when you aren't doing anything harmful. :-O

St Elmo, see where your question has led. One shouldn't ask questions in BF about words. (I learnt the hard way.)

Fugl, you really mean you wouldn't look through some bin because of its name? There are prob. many birds whose "common /English" name you don't like. But surely you look at them. Just a label! If you don't know German imagine "Victory" is a German tech word. Germans who don't know what "Victory" means can do likewise re English. Those who know both languages can imagine it's a tech word in Sanksrit. I.e., basically, don't worry about it. (So long as it's not too lengthy. Once I had an Opticron BGA T PC Oasis. Now that I didn't like.)

Just now googled for "silliest car names". In the first list that came up no.1 is Skoda Yeti. I rather like it. So there.

Last edited:
Some examples of silly naming of products from german companies:
A small backpack called "body bag". And this from mega-big company Jack Wolfskin, one should think they have ther intellectual resources to do better.
A jacket called "Jerry", which name the british importer pressed the company (Vaude) to change it as not to make a reference to WWII

A small backpack called "body bag". And this from mega-big company Jack Wolfskin, one should think they have ther intellectual resources to do better.
A jacket called "Jerry", which name the british importer pressed the company (Vaude) to change it as not to make a reference to WWII

;) I'm surprised by Jack Wolfskin. Hiking can be dangerous but surely not that dangerous. ;)

It can work the other way too. Irish Mist (a liqueur) was marketed in Germany when a simple internet search or a glance at a dictionary or even asking a German speaker would have revealed the meaning of the word in German.

By the way Oetzi, did you name yourself after the DJ or the ice man currently resident in a museum in Bozen?

Tom

Because they are for sale all round the world not just in German-speaking countries.

Lee

;)

Hi FUGL

Product marketing names are a minefield. Trouble is, all the names of animals, mountains, rivers, winds etc etc etc have all been registered as brand names already, leaving slim pickings for those still searching for a name.

I'm OK with Victory which clearly means the bins are a huge achievement or score highly over competitors. It also has a clear relationship with Zeiss's other brand: Conquest.

As product names go its pretty inoffensive. For example as I was driving yesterday I suddenly spotted the name on the vehicle in front. It was a (prepare yourself for this with some spare underwear) Peugeot Bipper Teepee.

Lee

There's a five-page thread in the Birding subforum of BF on the "Worlds Funniest Bird Name". When you're driving to see a <insert any of those names here> how can you laugh at someone's Victory or his Bipper Teppee?

Last edited:

Hi FUGL

Product marketing names are a minefield. Trouble is, all the names of animals, mountains, rivers, winds etc etc etc have all been registered as brand names already, leaving slim pickings for those still searching for a name.

I'm OK with Victory which clearly means the bins are a huge achievement or score highly over competitors. It also has a clear relationship with Zeiss's other brand: Conquest.

As product names go its pretty inoffensive. For example as I was driving yesterday I suddenly spotted the name on the vehicle in front. It was a (prepare yourself for this with some spare underwear) Peugeot Bipper Teepee.

Lee

Actually, the concept of "Victory over the competition" may not be that far from the mark. :brains:

I remember from strategic studies, that a similar concept was used by earthmoving equipment giant Komatsu, in their tackling of number #1 big jiggers Caterpillar. It was not just a name, but a whole comprehensive company-wide strategy to align each and every single effort, from janitors to president. This from Wiki .....
"In 1964 Rioichi Kawai, son of Yoshinari Kawai, became president of Komatsu, and it began exporting its products, looking to counteract the postwar image of Japanese products as being cheap and poorly made. In July 1967, it entered the U.S. market, taking on Caterpillar, the largest bulldozer maker, in its home market. This was done under the company slogan of "Maru-C", translating into English as "encircle Caterpillar" (from the game of Go (board game), where encircling an opponent results in capture of their territory)"
And to think, that all that came from a company whose name means "little pine tree" :-O

My guess would be that the term "Victory" was chosen by Zeiss after a particularly stein-fuelled Board meeting ..... "Sieg!! Wir müssen zerschlagen die lästigen österreichischen Jagdhunde wie ein Sandwich fiel Leberwurst - aber für Fuchs willen nicht erwähnen den blutigen Krieg !!!!" B :)

Chosun :gh:

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back