• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

White-winged gull, Canada (eBird link) (1 Viewer)

1st cycle iceland gull is correct, most probably kumlieni since that 'taxon' is most likely in ontario, but not possible to exclude a nominate glaucoides from these pics. aynway, not a glaucous gull.

Thanks Lou,

I had it down as a good 1st-cycle Glaucous, because (a) the "tipping" on the wings and underparts seemed a lot light than depicted for L. g. kumlieni of that age, and (b) there is some pink at the base of the bill (more visible in scope view than in these photos). Does L. hyperborus invariably have a large pink basal half of the bill in 1st-cy?

One thing I DO see in one of the photos is, there's a fairly good length of primary extending past the tail - which I didn't notice in the field...

Thanks Lou,

I had it down as a good 1st-cycle Glaucous, because (a) the "tipping" on the wings and underparts seemed a lot light than depicted for L. g. kumlieni of that age, and (b) there is some pink at the base of the bill (more visible in scope view than in these photos). Does L. hyperborus invariably have a large pink basal half of the bill in 1st-cy?

One thing I DO see in one of the photos is, there's a fairly good length of primary extending past the tail - which I didn't notice in the field...

I don't think a 1st winter (or any age) Glaucous would show as much black in the bill than this. To me this looks a pretty clear 1st winter Iceland/Kumlein's on structure and bill pattern.

Hi Niels, Andrew:

Thanks for your input. I thought I had these all sussed, but apparently not.

Niels, I've read somewhere - I think this was actually referring to separating L. g. thayeri from immature Herring Gull, rather than Glaucous - that the former has a "dove-like" head shape; is that the sort of thing you are referring to?

Hi Niels, Andrew:

Thanks for your input. I thought I had these all sussed, but apparently not.

Niels, I've read somewhere - I think this was actually referring to separating L. g. thayeri from immature Herring Gull, rather than Glaucous - that the former has a "dove-like" head shape; is that the sort of thing you are referring to?

I do not have my European bird books at the moment so cannot check, but I remember this as Glaucous having a head shape including an elongated slanting front similar to a Herring gull while white-winged has a head shape that is more rounded and thereby more similar to a common gull (Mew). The difference in size of bill supports these differences in head impression.

Niels

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back