• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

White-breasted Wood Wren (1 Viewer)

Richard Klim

-------------------------
Aguilar, De Léon, Loaiza, McMillan & Miller (in press). Extreme sequence divergence between mitochondrial genomes of two subspecies of White-breasted Wood-wren (Henicorhina leucosticte, Cabanis, 1847) from western and central Panamá. Mitochondrial DNA. [abstract]

Kroodsma & Brewer 2005 (HBW 10).

AOU-SACC:
40. The prostheleuca and pittieri subspecies groups of Middle American may each warrant recognition as separate species from Henicorhina leucosticta (Winker et al. 1996). Dingle et al. (2006) further suggested splitting H. leucosticta into at least three taxa: (i) a Central American prostheleuca group; (ii) a Chocó inornata group; and (iii) an Amazonian leucosticta group. Proposal needed.

Last edited:
Aguilar, De Léon, Loaiza, McMillan & Miller (in press). Extreme sequence divergence between mitochondrial genomes of two subspecies of White-breasted Wood-wren (Henicorhina leucosticte, Cabanis, 1847) from western and central Panamá. Mitochondrial DNA. [abstract]

snip

Subspecies mentioned as pittieri and alexandri. The second of these does not seem to be universally recognized, anyone knows what it is subsumed into?

Niels

Alexandri

Subspecies mentioned as pittieri and alexandri. The second of these does not seem to be universally recognized, anyone knows what it is subsumed into?
Alexandri A.R. Phillips, 1986 is recognised by Kroodsma & Brewer 2005 (HBW), H&M3 ("Tentatively accepted") and IOC; but is presumably(?) included in darienensis by eBird/Clements.

PS. Interesting review of Phillips 1986 by Richard Banks: Auk 108(4): 999–1003.

Last edited:
Can someone tell me how Cyphorhinus leucostictus becomes Henicorhina leucosticte...
As with Gowen et al yesterday (Aphelocoma sumicrasti [sic]), some of these papers would benefit from proof-reading.

It's leucosticta within the abstract itself, so the error is probably restricted to the title. At least it's the 'Early Online' version, so might be corrected before final publication...

Last edited:
It's leucosticta within the abstract. Thanks Richard. I highly recommend reading Richard's link to the review of Known Birds.. I am thinking of changing mb1848 to the Archbishop of Baal!

It's leucosticta within the abstract. Thanks Richard. I highly recommend reading Richard's link to the review of Known Birds.. I am thinking of changing mb1848 to the Archbishop of Baal!

Sorry for the typo. I saw it as soon as I got the proof, and it was fixed within a day. You can download it on my website (mj-miller.net) and researchgate.

The real story is coming later; there are three highly diverged clades in Panama, and mtDNA variation across the range is "fractal" (i.e as you scale down georgraphically, you keep finding structured clades) so using genetics is going to get us part of the way, but not all the way in defining species limits in the group.

Nobody's subspecies descriptions agree with what the genetics tell us, as since we were specifically talking about a bird from central Panama (and not the highly genetically diverged Darien population) we had to go with the oddly placed alexandri.

Cheers,

Matt

Thanks Matt.
One additional question: is the full story you are promising also including some nuclear marker?

Niels

We've got an older dataset that includes a few nuclear introns and AFLPs. That manuscript needs to get out, but I'm not happy with what we've done (or really not done well) with the morphometrics.

Celestino has also largely finished a dataset with ultraconserved element loci. How does ~2500 nuclear loci sound? It basically is burning out the CPUs of my computers trying to make sense of the data. But we are shooting for a late summer submission of manuscript 1 and a fall/winter submission of #2.

Thanks Matt.
One additional question: is the full story you are promising also including some nuclear marker?

Niels

It's interested to see you'all's interest in this. Makes me more confident that I should get preprints out. The whole academic publishing thing (especially for me being such a perfectionist/procrastinator) takes too long.

(Having the community bug me to get stuff out is a positive and welcome motivator).

Colombia: Serranía de San Lucas

Donegan & Salaman 2014. Identification of Henicorhina Wood-Wrens in the San Lucas mountain range. Conservación Colombiana 21: 33–38. [pdf]
Abstract
Henicorhina leucophrys is supposedly known from Serranía de San Lucas based on a single specimen collected in 1947. We studied the specimen and consider it more likely to be a juvenile of White-breasted Wood-Wren H. leucosticta albilateralis, based on biometrics and comparisons of plumages.

Pegan et al 2015

Pegan, Rumelt, Dzielski, Ferraro, Flesher, Young, Freeman & Freeman 2015. Asymmetric response of Costa Rican White-breasted Wood-Wrens (Henicorhina leucosticta) to vocalizations from allopatric populations. PLoS ONE 10(12): e0144949. [article & pdf]

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back