• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Which binoculars are less stressfull for the eyes? (2 Viewers)

Ted Y.

Forum member
Canada
I am interested in a 8x or 10x binocular.
The main usage is during the day.
It is for someone using spectacles.
The upper price is limited to 2K USD (for a new one).
I have a possible candidate, Zeiss SF, and I need at least another one before going to the shop for testing.
From your (or a friend) experience, which models can be considered? Thank you.

Edit:
Can be 8 x any, 10 x any.
I suppose at 2K USD the binocular has great control of CA, glare, pincushion, etc. Not perfect, but great.
Even so, some models have more stressfull effects.

Last edited:
Usually, the better he optics and alignment, the less “stressful for the eyes”.

It does seem as if, no matter what is said here, someone always pipes up and either says “that’s wrong” or “that’s not what I see”

I am very happy with my Zeiss SF 8X32, more so since I learned to not bury them in my eye sockets.

Every time I use them, I am amazed, but I look at the subject, not glare, CA, rolling ball, pincushion, or any of the myriad things which seem to hold the attention of many who post here.

Try one, you may like it well enough to buy.

You didn’t specify if 32 or 42, I’ll just throw these out at you.

You can never go wrong with the SF, but check for the mighty blue ring that some experience. I’d say if you looking for something very easy on the eyes, with a very comfortable eyebox, the Nikon EDG is one of the best. The Leica Ultravid works in 7x42 with eyeglasses ,so very nice, or even better would be the Noctivids. I’d stay away from Swaro if you want easier on the eyes, unless maybe the out of production SLC. In the $2000 range there really isn’t that many choices. There’s also the Nikon MHG,
Leica Trinovid HD (if not to sensitive to CA, 8x is better than the 10x).

Paul

Last edited:
They're heavy for the arms but easy for the eyes - SLC 8x56 hd. You could probably use those glasses with the flip down sunglasses on and still have enough eye relief.

I'm not sure why I keep recommending them though as no one wants to carry a '56 and I don't think you can get them easily on the u.s so it's probably back to the usual suspects!

I am very happy with my Zeiss SF 8X32, more so since I learned to not bury them in my eye sockets.

Every time I use them, I am amazed, but I look at the subject, not glare, CA, rolling ball, pincushion, or any of the myriad things which seem to hold the attention of many who post here.
This post sounds like someone saying in a car forum:
"I drive a Ferrari. Every time I use it, I just wanna go from A to B, so I don't care about horse power, resale value, torque or any of the myriad of things which seem to hold the attention of the poor schmocks who have to drive VWs." 😂

There is a one year old Ferrari next door 20ft from me.

To me it is a dinosaur.

Getting into the garage space is like parking the space shuttle.

The cars in the street stop respectfully to see the machine back into the garage.

It is difficult to see from the driver's viewpoint. I suppose it has a camera.

It is bright red and shouts Me, Me.

It is noisy.

To use it in suburbia as a shopping vehicle is madness.

But the driver handles it well, and has probably had tuition at race tracks.

I do like the video of the $950,000 Aston Martin being towed away from double yellow lines on a large truck.
Probably near Harrods.
I wonder if they put it in the crusher to make a nice metal cube.

When I was young I did drive lots of large cars, but nowadays I wouldn't.

The E type Jaguar housed opposite, now that is nice.

As to binoculars, I use middle and low class versions generally.

Regards,
B.

Of the binoculars I have owned my pick would be the swarovski SLC 7x42. I had one from the last year they were made and the comfort when viewing was exceptional. Never had any problems with blackouts, eyestrain, kidney beans, eye placement, or anything of the like. Just held them up and they felt like an extension of my vision.

This post sounds like someone saying in a car forum:
"I drive a Ferrari. Every time I use it, I just wanna go from A to B, so I don't care about horse power, resale value, torque or any of the myriad of things which seem to hold the attention of the poor schmocks who have to drive VWs." 😂
😁

I am interested in a 8x or 10x binocular.
The main usage is during the day.
It is for someone using spectacles.
The upper price is limited to 2K USD (for a new one).
I have a possible candidate, Zeiss SF, and I need at least another one before going to the shop for testing.
From your (or a friend) experience, which models can be considered? Thank you.g my Swarovski

Edit:
Can be 8 x any, 10 x any.
I suppose at 2K USD the binocular has great control of CA, glare, pincushion, etc. Not perfect, but great.
Even so, some models have more stressfull effects.
I am selling my Swarovski 8.5x42 bins. They are like new, I have the original box, paperwork and carry bag. I don't think these can be beat, check online and I do believe they are the best. I would sell them for $1500 including shipping conus. If not perfect, money back.

Attachments

• IMG_7329 2.jpeg
    IMG_7329 2.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_7325.jpeg
    IMG_7325.jpeg
    626.2 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_7331.jpeg
    IMG_7331.jpeg
    817.6 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_7328.jpeg
    IMG_7328.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_7324.jpeg
    IMG_7324.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 11
I am selling my Swarovski 8.5x42 bins. They are like new, I have the original box, paperwork and carry bag. I don't think these can be beat, check online and I do believe they are the best. I would sell them for $1500 including shipping conus. If not perfect, money back.

Attachments​

• IMG_7329 2.jpegIMG_7325.jpegIMG_7331.jpeg
    IMG_7329 2.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7325.jpeg
    626.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7331.jpeg
    817.6 KB · Views: 0IMG_7328.jpegIMG_7324.jpeg
  • IMG_7328.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0

Attachments​

• IMG_7329 2.jpegIMG_7325.jpegIMG_7331.jpeg
    IMG_7329 2.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7325.jpeg
    626.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7331.jpeg
    817.6 KB · Views: 0IMG_7328.jpegIMG_7324.jpeg
  • IMG_7328.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
You should lighten up your photos, they don't do the Swaros justice.

I can only really speak from my own experience, but if glassing for hours after distant targets, I've found field flatteners (Swarovski SV, Nikon SE) to help in terms of reducing eye fatigue. I don't think they are an absolute must, but I feel there's something about the flat field that makes it easier on the eyes - to me anyway. I think I can look through that kind of binocular for longer than a conventional binocular before having to drop the binocular and reorient my eyes.

Larger exit pupil (5mm plus) helps, but if you go bigger than 5mm can make for a large/bulky binocular, which weight/size can itself result in difficulties, unless you can brace your elbows etc.

But probably the single thing that most reduces eye fatigue is stabilization - either via tripod or similar support, or one of the electronic systems (Canon, Fujinon etc).

There is a one year old Ferrari next door 20ft from me.

To me it is a dinosaur.
Sorry can’t resist, lol. Is it really a dinosaur, I guess it depends on what year. The newer ones have almost every conceivable modern options.
Getting into the garage space is like parking the space shuttle.
You lost me on that.
The cars in the street stop respectfully to see the machine back into the garage.
Gawkers and rubberneckers, I hate them. 🤭
It is difficult to see from the driver's viewpoint. I suppose it has a camera.
Yes it is , and yes it does.
It is bright red and shouts Me, Me.
It’s a Ferrari man, it’s supposed to be red and scream me, me.
It is noisy.
Oh yeah, especially up at 9000 to 10,000 RPMs.
To use it in suburbia as a shopping vehicle is madness.
Being a babe magnet , it’s possible to pick up some nice woman coming out of the grocery store with the valuable eggs, milk and bread that she may want to share, with the debonair older gentlemen in the red Ferrari.
But the driver handles it well, and has probably had tuition at race tracks.
And spent over $3000 for new Pireli tires after a few track meets.
I do like the video of the $950,000 Aston Martin being towed away from double yellow lines on a large truck.
Probably near Harrods.
I wonder if they put it in the crusher to make a nice metal cube.
😲😵‍💫😳
When I was young I did drive lots of large cars, but nowadays I wouldn't.

The E type Jaguar housed opposite, now that is nice.
👍
As to binoculars, I use middle and low class versions generally.
I told my wife the exact same thing 😉.
Regards,
B.
🙏🏼
Paul

Of the binoculars I have owned my pick would be the swarovski SLC 7x42. I had one from the last year they were made and the comfort when viewing was exceptional. Never had any problems with blackouts, eyestrain, kidney beans, eye placement, or anything of the like. Just held them up and they felt like an extension of my vision.
This fits my personal definition of less stressful for the eyes.

I'm not using glasses, and this will sound obvious for some, but the most stressful aspect for me concerns all brands and models, it's the lack of attention paid to a good focus, which lets the eyes do the accomodation...

Depth of field makes it possible to focus a bit too far away, and your eyes will automatically try to focus closer as it's a faster, more natural way to focus than turning a ring.

To prevent this, I get the subject into focus with the ring, then I "play" with the ring in the correct direction, ie I always keep the focus plane as close as possible, this way my eyes are focused on infinity, and perfectly relaxed...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back