• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Which binocular(s) did you use today? (7 Viewers)

A Great Blue Heron landed in the river next to the beer garden yesterday (the brewery is located in an 1800's brick mill building). I retrieved my "share" binoculars from the car - Nikon 7x35E porros. The hinge tension was set pretty loose when they were re-greased, a little too loose for my taste.

But that's what helps make them great "share" binos. When neophytes pass them around the hinge intuitively falls into the right place for them when they try to merge the images.

Up close you could see the huge, deadly-to-fish-and-frogs beak and the ornamental looking-blue feather adorning the back of his head. A couple people were blown away. "wow, it's much better through the binoculars!" I said "I know!" :)

A binocular charm (Jibbitz) for crocs would be nice on your crocs .
View attachment 1576187
Wife got me this one a while back - it's the only set of binoculars she's ever bought me. I actually think she did quite well as I was using the SLC 8x56hd's at the time - the resemblance if not the colour aren't too far off. I'd always rather have a porro though even on my crocks!

Attachments

• IMG_20240428_211834141.jpg
    IMG_20240428_211834141.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 14
Today I purchased a pair of Swarovski NL Pure 8x32 and what a joy to use, I already have the NL 8x42 and 12x42 but I was finding them a little on the heavy side, I do tend to use a tripod on the 12’s which I find lovely to look through, but today was all about the 8x32 and the weight saving was noticeable to me.

Putting a newly arrived pair of Hawke 8X42 Frontier ED X through some paces in the field.
Overcast and about 42°F, out at a boggy beaver flowage where a pair of Mallards were spotted, 1 Raven and a Myrtle Warbler was heard but unseen. On the way over to a woods walk to a bluff overlooking a the local tidal estuary, 2 Broad-winged Hawks were spotted, then along the way in, a Pileated Woodpecker was de-barking a dying Red Pine, seen again on the way out on a White Pine. While there, saw a distant pair of Bald Eagles perched and a duo of Osprey running surveys up and down the length of visible estuary. Watched a pair of Porcupines watching me from a Red Oak while a Hermit Thrush chimed in with its buzzy call. IMG_0868.jpgIMG_0877.jpgIMG_0881.jpg

Last edited:
Today I purchased a pair of Swarovski NL Pure 8x32 and what a joy to use, I already have the NL 8x42 and 12x42 but I was finding them a little on the heavy side, I do tend to use a tripod on the 12’s which I find lovely to look through, but today was all about the 8x32 and the weight saving was noticeable to me.
Bravo!

Look, NO ONE needs that kind of burden, deciding which to use, PM me for my address, the 8X42 are redundant now, It's the least I can do to accept them.

Wife got me this one a while back - it's the only set of binoculars she's ever bought me. I actually think she did quite well as I was using the SLC 8x56hd's at the time - the resemblance if not the colour aren't too far off. I'd always rather have a porro though even on my crocks!
Pentax Papilo! ;)

Today it has been raining all day long (exceptionally, given the severe drought we are going through at the moment), I have a friend visiting and was thinking about showing him the coast and the beaches, maybe even go for a swim, but the day wasn't very inviting. So instead, I grabbed the 8x32 Traveller (I feared the 12x36 IS Canon could get caught off-guard in a serious shower) and gave my friend the glove box SvBony sv202 8x42. It was the first time he has ever been birdwatching in his life, so I didn't know what to expect. I've taken a path that runs along the runway of the local airport (which is a great hotspot for birds) and we've enjoyed the "firs-timer luck" and watched a roller (on its way from Africa to mainland Europe), a purple heron and three lovely glossy ibises. My friend was seriously impressed, and so was I! The Traveller have got pretty wet, but have delivered as always. Bonus points, since I wasn't using the neoprene strap, I have been able to carry them on the pocket of my raincoat with great ease :)

Edit. Since I wasn't expecting to leave the car a lot (and I was using a pretty small vehicle) I have left at home the Swarovski scope with its tripod and grabbed the tiny Kowa TSN 501 instead, carried on an equally tiny sling bag (not unlike the case of a 8x42 binocular) to handhold it against the car window sill, and have used it to enjoy the glossy ibises and confirm ID of the purple heron (that was not clear with the 8x binoculars). I really really like the little Kowa, it's a little gem. Yes, it suffers from obvious CA, but having a very usable 35x at 400 g in your pocket is just mind-blowing.

MoritoAeropuerto20240429.jpeg

Last edited:
A binocular charm (Jibbitz) for crocs would be nice on your crocs .

I have some cuff links just like that !!

These took a long time to find !
Must get a better "safe place" to keep them !
IMG_0289.jpeg

I've been using 8x30SFL's almost exclusively. The weight is such that I can wear them with a 'NATO' strap which is not padded. It makes for a lot less 'stuff' around my neck since I'm also wearing a full-frame camera and lens, rucksack, etc.

Found this guy in marsh nature preserve on a river which feeds into Chesapeake Bay (USA).

White-eyed Vireo 4.25.24 Dameron Marsh 7VA01531.jpg

7x21 Curio used today (I carry it everywhere) - I stopped in at the local Botanical Gardens and had a walk around. It was drizzling so I had a small umbrella threaded down my shirt, with the wrist strap tucked into my belt so it mostly stayed upright and self supported with some swaying. Freed me up to use the bins with both hands (one hand, too shaky, 4 shots espresso deep). Trailed a white faced heron snacking on worms that had risen to the surface of the grass due to the water table rising. 4 kookaburras on a tree branch making quite a scene. And a very shy + curious male bowerbird. The curios performed like Michael Jordan.

Attachments

• tempImageMGl1jy.png
    tempImageMGl1jy.png
    12.3 MB · Views: 10
Last edited:
7x21 Curio used today (I carry it everywhere) - I stopped in at the local Botanical Gardens and had a walk around. It was drizzling so I had a small umbrella threaded down my shirt, with the wrist strap tucked into my belt so it mostly stayed upright and self supported with some swaying. Freed me up to use the bins with both hands (one hand, too shaky, 4 shots espresso deep). Trailed a white faced heron snacking on worms that had risen to the surface of the grass due to the water table rising. 4 kookaburras on a tree branch making quite a scene. And a very shy + curious male bowerbird. The curios performed like Michael Jordan.
Delightful!

My wife's birthday today, so a fairly relaxed day enjoying the first proper spring sunshine we've had in the west country this year.
A fairly recent purchase, my third (!) pair of 8x32 trinovids. Still can't quite get them to work with my glasses, but the view and build quality is superb (even 29 years later). Perhaps I should try a 7x42...
IMG_20240504_140332.jpg

My wife's birthday today, so a fairly relaxed day enjoying the first proper spring sunshine we've had in the west country this year.
A fairly recent purchase, my third (!) pair of 8x32 trinovids. Still can't quite get them to work with my glasses, but the view and build quality is superb (even 29 years later). Perhaps I should try a 7x42...
View attachment 1577539
Congratulations! The Leica Trinovid BA/BN are indeed still very nice binoculars, good idea as a backup for your FL 7x42.

this morning I finally got a good view of a Worm-eating Warbler. It’s only my 4th sighting of this bird. There was a beautiful male Black-throated Blue Warbler nearby. Also great views of a Red-headed Woodpecker and lots of other good birds seen through my Trinovid HD 8x32.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back