• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What has been your favorite sighting so far in 2007? (1 Viewer)

Seeing my first Green Woodpecker and Barn Owl hunting when I was in England.

At home, seeing my fist Waxwing would also be a highlight.

My year favourites are quite modest really:

Bempton Cliffs in early May - Kittiwake, Guillemot, Razorbill, Puffin, Gannet, Fulmar, Peregrin - always an amazing spectacle.

A brood of three young Green Woodpeckers up close, not long out of the nest and creating a whole load of noise and havoc in the otherwise quiet woodland.

A brood of young Tawnys, still downy and very vocal.

Two still very downy young Long-eared Owls calling for their dinner, insistently, loudly and without any any apparent intention to shut-up until dinner was delivered.

The only comparitive rarity that makes my favourites list for this year would possibly be the second to none view of the Bittern that I had at Blacktoft a few weeks ago.

My favourite was moment in time rather than a sighting. 9th may 2007 i was at the Magic Hedge in Chicago. a foggy morning then the fog lifted !! nearly every tree was loaded with eager migrants! For a Brit this was special. there were thrushes, Warblers, Orioles , woodpeckers , jays !! think i got about 15 lifers in as many minutes. unforgettable !!

A pair of Guianan Cock-of-the-Rocks at the Serra do Araca, in North Brazil, among a perfect scenery with a big waterfall behind... just magical..

My favorite this year was standing on the Superior Hiking Trail in Finland, MN watching an endless parade of various warblers forage around me, accompanied by the eerie singing of distant white throated sparrows on a very quiet overcast day. I saw about 8 new warblers in a few hours. Every one of them was my new favorite sighting of the year. ;)

It's a close call between watching thousands of geese arrive at Martin Mere WWT or the Hoopoe (lifer) that was around our hotel in Tenerife in March.

Two bits of raptor behaviour I'd never seen before:

Marsh Harriers making a food pass, and a Hobby chasing hirundines.

But both eclipsed by my first ever sight of Basking Sharks, at Porthgwarra earlier this month.

Montagu's Harriers at ABB project in Digby Fen, Lincs especially when all the four youngsters were flying up together and sorting out a Marsh harrier straying into their airspace.

The Bittern at Slimbridge, Glos, already listed by Rod The Raptor.
Best views I've had of this fantastic bird in nearly 50 years birding.

I've seen it a million times in the Eastern US but the best sighting I had was a Northern Parula in Albuquerque- a very familiar song from the east that gave me comfort in the west!!!!!!!!

My downy family feeding their young at my suet feeders! now the youngins come by themselves or with some chickadee friends =]

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back