• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What Discontinued Binocular Would You Redesign and Bring Back If You Could ? (1 Viewer)

Hello,

Orion Telescopes have a CF 8x30 Porro which claims to have a good FOV, ED glass, magnesium body, waterproof and good ER. It comes with a one year guarantee which inspires no confidence in the item. I have had no experience with Orion but they have been selling house brands for years.

Stay safe,
Arthur

I'd love an alpha 7x35 porro. I can't name a particular model, because I've never had the chance to look through one of them old ones. I'd certainly prefer a Leica. I've also heard good things about the Bushnell Rangemaster (Fuji).

And I'd love a 6x24 Trinovid.

I'd love an alpha 7x35 porro. I can't name a particular model, because I've never had the chance to look through one of them old ones. I'd certainly prefer a Leica. I've also heard good things about the Bushnell Rangemaster (Fuji).

And I'd love a 6x24 Trinovid.
I agree, a modern 7x35 with a minimum 8* fov would be great. But I too can't name an older model, not being familiar with any.

The Nikon SE 8x32 is pulling ahead of the field with five people liking my original suggestion, another making the same point which has also been liked.
I would rather see a new EDG III 8x32, a little more compact and lighter weight.

If they make a Nikon SE again, I'd rather see it in 8x30. The smaller porros fit my hands better.

Love to have seen Nikon's 8x32 SE more ergonomically friendly with a bit more eye relief. I had mine for about 10 years and in spite of their superlative optics, had to pass them on to another person a couple years ago.

Love to have seen Nikon's 8x32 SE more ergonomically friendly with a bit more eye relief. I had mine for about 10 years and in spite of their superlative optics, had to pass them on to another person a couple years ago.
What part of Idaho do you live in?

An alpha 7x or even 6.5x would be fricking fantastic!

I can't tell you how many new birders and wildlife observers I have helped empower by cutting their teeth on my old pair of (now discontinued) Meopta 6.5x32mm binoculars. What these folks all had in common was their previous frustration with realizing a comfortable, position-tolerant, and reliably immersive view from a pair of binoculars. To them, the binocular was considered just another burdensome instrument. Sure, a little proper setup and education can go a long way, but way too many newcomers have been dissauded (and the joy lost) when spontaneously handed a pair with frustratingly-small exit pupils and shaky, high-magnification images.

My discontinued Meoptas were quite good, but not alpha level. The now discontinued 6x32mm Vortex Viper HDs could have used some optical improvements. And the same definitely goes for the Kowa 6.5x32 BD II.

My 7x42mm Nikon EDG was my favorite go-to all-star until the hinge-tension failed, and my attempt to get the floating-diopter problem fixed went unresolved at Nikon due to a lack of spare parts. What a damn shame!

I'm now considering Leica's 7x42 Ultravid, but at almost 28 ounces, it is a little imposing for all my young and smaller-statured family members and friends.

We need a lightweight, comfortable, top-tier option with a highly tolerant and joy-producing image. Something that brings the wow-factor to the newbies and casual observers. Accomplish that, and we have created a new enthusiast for life!

Last edited:
B&L Elite 7X36 with focus knob moved to ocular end, waterproofing and slightly lighter build. I like the old fold-down rubber eyecups but if they were to be replaced, those on the previously mentioned Vortex Fury 6.5 would be great. This is/was a great binocular with 420' field of view and focus from its close focus of about 6' to infinity with around 330 degrees of turn of the knob.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back