• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

WHAT bird song CD is best ? (1 Viewer)

NIKONwxm

Hi all
Looking to purchase a british bird song CD there are probably loads out there BUT is there any you'd say are better than others for me to look out for.

Regards Bazza

The one I like is the Collins guide to bird song and calls by Geoff sample. There is also the Collins guide songs and calls of warblers.

I also like the DVD British Bird Songs from Bird Images.

Hope this is helpful and I am sure other suggestions will be made.

Happy Birding

Dean:t:

Geoff Sample's book+CD is the best for the beginner as the songs are arranged by habitat, so you get birds together that you'd see in that habitat and Geoff talks you through things. I put the 2 discs in the autochanger in the car regularly, it really keeps you up to speed with songs etc.

The warblers book, whilst a bloody good piece of kit, is very much aimed at the warbler enthusiast. There are numerous announced recordings of each species, with confusion species discussed, but it is heavy going. I use this to swat up on the warblers before a holiday abroad so I don't miss out on a new tick.

The Roche 4 CD set of Bird songs and calls of Britain and Europe is the most comprehensive and cheap set around but as they are unannounced and in species order is the least satisfying listen. I have these ripped as mp3 files on my mobile and do use them to refresh my brain when out birding.

I'm afraid I can't recommend a CD... but I know a man who can. www.wildsounds.com have a huge range, they know their stuff and are always happy to discuss what would suit your needs. Recommended.

Check below at www.wildlifebooks.com
Ref V10031
Bird Songs and Calls of Britan and Europe
Songs & calls of regular breeding & migrant birds of Britain & western Europe in systematic order 396spp in all on 4 CDs No announcements but detailed explanatory booklet with each CD

Ref V10051
British Bird Sounds
Two CDs covering 175spp. 2.5 hrs playing time. Announced plus booklet

Check below at www.wildlifebooks.com
Ref V10031
Bird Songs and Calls of Britan and Europe
Songs & calls of regular breeding & migrant birds of Britain & western Europe in systematic order 396spp in all on 4 CDs No announcements but detailed explanatory booklet with each CD

Ref V10051
British Bird Sounds
Two CDs covering 175spp. 2.5 hrs playing time. Announced plus booklet

Ref V10031 is the Roche set from my post

As an extra, if you are close to a 'The Works' bookshop then they may have a copy of the Collins Garden Bird Songs and Calls book and CD (another excellent Geoff Sample) for £2.99 - my local shop has been selling them on and off at this price. It just includes the more standard birds but is a good set and very cheap!

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back