• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Western Uganda - Bwindi and Semliki (1 Viewer)

Mawnster

Can you anyone provide me assistance in the Identifications of these birds. Photos were taken in Western Uganda. Thank you.

Attachments

• Unganda Unknown 1.jpg
    Unganda Unknown 1.jpg
    128.2 KB · Views: 27
  • Unganda Unknown 2.jpg
    Unganda Unknown 2.jpg
    190.7 KB · Views: 28
  • Unganda Unknown 3.jpg
    Unganda Unknown 3.jpg
    178 KB · Views: 20
  • Unganda Unknown 4.jpg
    Unganda Unknown 4.jpg
    226.9 KB · Views: 17
  • Unganda Unknown 5.jpg
    Unganda Unknown 5.jpg
    185.9 KB · Views: 26
Unknown 3, 4 & 5 are Grey-throated tit-flycatcher (I think the dark tip to the paler bill in combination with overall colouration is diagnostic). Unsure about No. 2 though.

Back in 2011, we saw Beaudouin's Snake-eagle at Mweya (QENP).

See the thread here.

The key pattern appeared to be the barring on the flanks and not on the chest, clearly visible in Mawnster's photo, and various knowledgable people all agreed on Beaudoin's.

It also seemed to be agreed that the illustration in 'Birds of East Africa' first edition (which has been left unchanged in the second edition) is not an accurate depiction of Beaudouin's (it shows heavy black barring on the chest). Also, this book (second edition where it is split from Short-toed unlike the first edition) says that it is a 'presumed visitor from the northern tropics', which although technically true hides the fact that the distribution (see attached map from 'Birds of the World' online) stretches from coastal west Africa (Sengal) across to Sudan, and in the view of some curves down at the east to reach western Uganda.

Valéry Schollaert, whom some of you will remember, and who was at the time based in Uganda, said in that thread: 'Your bird is defo Beaudouin's, and I guess it is not rare as in field guide, but simply overlooked.'

Beaudouin Range.jpg

The Flycatchers are White-eyed Slaty in mmm view, except the first one that looks like a Cassin’s.

Not problem for adult Beaudouin’s…

Unknown 3, 4 & 5 are Grey-throated tit-flycatcher (I think the dark tip to the paler bill in combination with overall colouration is diagnostic). Unsure about No. 2 though.
I think the dark tip to the paler bill is an ID feature for White-eyed Slaty as Tib says, not Tit-flycatcher. And I would say the white throat and the dark wings with a grey back makes Cassin's a good call, especially if Tib thinks so. We saw Cassin's there on our trip (although it might technically have been in the Congo, as it was on a tree stump in the Ishasha River).

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back