• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Western Reef Heron - Mallorca - October 2016 (1 Viewer)

Alexski

Saw this egret on the 27th October at the S'Albufereta reserve in Mallorca and would welcome any thoughts on whether the bird is a 100% Western Reef Heron or a hybrid Western Reef x Little Egret.

Initially, having a quick look at some pictures online, I assumed it was a hybrid. Now having got back home from Mallorca and having had the chance to read up about WRH in various books and articles, my feeling has changed to it being a pure WRH. Here I will list my reasons for thinking this and would welcome any thoughts.

• Location: The bird was found at the mouth of a stream entering into the sea, which seems to be a preferred habitat for WRH.
  • Behavior: It was in the company of many Little Egrets, but kept itself isolated from them. What immediately struck me was how nervous the bird was, much more so than the nearby egrets. As soon as it caught sight of me it flew some distance away whilst the Little Egrets remained undisturbed despite them being closer.
  • Shape: The bird looked slightly smaller in height but stockier than the egrets and stood more upright more like a tiny Grey Heron.
  • Bill: What I noticed is that the bill didn't seem as slender and dagger-like as what I'm used to with Little Egrets, but was longer and thicker with the end of the culmen curving down.
  • Chin: Looking more carefully at my photos, I noticed that the chin seemed bulkier and not as thin as that of a Little Egret.
  • Head: Again looking at the photos, the overall impression of the head is that it is not as smoothly rounded as a Little Egret and seemed 'flatter' at the back of the head.
  • Lores: The yellowish-grey colour seems more typical of WRH.
Again, I would welcome any thoughts/confirmation.

Attachments

• Reef Heron-1.jpg
    Reef Heron-1.jpg
    785 KB · Views: 87
  • Reef Heron-2.jpg
    Reef Heron-2.jpg
    821.6 KB · Views: 60
  • Reef Heron-3.jpg
    Reef Heron-3.jpg
    800.9 KB · Views: 72
  • Reef Heron-4.jpg
    Reef Heron-4.jpg
    964.2 KB · Views: 78
I know there has been controversy before over whether an "intermediate" morph of WRH exists or whether birds with plumage like this are hybrids between dark morph WRH and always-white species such as Little Egret - so while a proper expert might come along and call it one way or the other, it might be that this bird actually is a "type" that there is no consensus on whether they are "pure" or "hybrid"...

I'm not sure if a hybrid can be told from an atypical pure individual.

Occasionally in Iberia we get a pure individual - like this one in the spring of 2,000, which I was privileged to see with the photographer: http://www.avesdeportugal.info/egrgul.html The concensus at the time is that it was the west African race.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back