• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Weekly sightings (1 Viewer)

JustinG

Justin
Relatively quiet birding in Carmarthenshire at the moment. However, there are many birds, including Robins, Blackbirds and Chaffinches, as well as Blue and Great Tits, that are singing and preparing for Spring! An even greater sign of Spring was a pair of Collard Doves with a fledgling on the 9th. On the 10th, there were 28 Whooper Swans with the regular and more common Mute Swan, and 8 Stock Doves at Cilsan. On the same day, just a short distance down river, there were c.900 Lapwing at Dryslwyn, and there were also 2 Barnacle Geese with the more obvious Canada Geese. There were 6 Snipe, 9 Buzzard, c.20 Wigeon, 4 Teal and 4 Grey Herons at Cilsan Bridge on the 11th. The majority of the Wigeon and Teal have now departed to head North to their breeding grounds, and the same is expected with the Lapwings. They appeared on the floodplain of the River Towy during the heavy snowfall earlier in the winter, and will soon depart North to breeding territory.

Ringing

I had a session ringing in my garden yesterday and had the following:

Siskin 17
Goldfinch 7
Blue tit 18
Great tit 12
Coal tit 2
Great Spotted Woodpecker 2
Chaffinch 3
HouseSparrow 1

Since my last session the number of siskin have increased considerably which is normal and I expect them to increase further until March. Costing me a fortune in Nijar seed. There were two Marsh tit, two Treecreeper, Robin, Blackbird and Dunnock around. 5 Kite and 3 Buzzard on the thermals above the garden. I also watched a sparrow taking nest material to an old House Martin nest on a neighbours house.

Charlie

Great ringing session! Yes, Siskins have done very well in recent times, glad to see them doing well. No Siskins in my garden unfortunately, however there are many House Sparrows and Chaffinches, with a couple of Jays, lots of Blackbirds, Robins, Wrens, Dunnocks and members of the Tit family. The Great Spotted Woodpeckers are around, and I heard a Green Woodpecker just up the lane yesterday also which was nice.

Spring is definitely on it's way now with birds singing and collected material. I saw the male of the local Peregrine family a couple of days ago, which was nice to see.

I'm off to Crychan tomorrow in hope of seeing displaying Goshawks.

Is there a good spot in the forest Justin? I did a loop in the car today via Usk reservoir and went near Crychan Forest. It's never really been on my radar. Is it suitable to bring the family as well?

Cheers,

Rich

PS my loop entailed driving through Llandeilo on the way home. Those lights are a nuisance!

Hi Rich,

Crychan is a cracking place, an expansive conifer forest, perfect for Goshawks. I didn't see any today however. Travel north of Llandovery on the A483, and just before the village of Cynghordy, there's a turning on the right signposted towards 'Tirabad'. There are 2 Forestry Commission car parks along this road, both on the right hand side of the road. 'Esgair Fwyog', which is 2 miles along this road, and 'Brynffo', which is 2.8 miles along this road. There are many walkways through the forest, all gravel tracked and suitable for a family walk. There are occasional wet/muddy sections and a few steep sections, however nothing too strenuous.

Another forestry is called 'Halfway'. Travel out of Llandovery on the A40 towards Brecon, and you travel through the village of 'Halfway'. Travel through the village and there is a signpost for 'Crychan Forest Trails' on the left hand side. This is another excellent place for Goshawks.

What did you think of the area around the Usk Reservoir? I've got many ideas in my mind of what could happen there.

All the best,
Justin

P.S - I agree with you about the roadworks - they're a right nuisance!

Hi Justin. I just posted on your other thread about blanking. Thanks for the tips about Crychan Forest.

I quite like Usk reservoir but I need to give it more time. Had LRP there in the past and there's usually Goosander on there later in the day. The main reason I was out and about yesterday was to give the car a good run out. I wasn't able to drive it for 3 months and as a result the immobiliser needed re-programming and the fuse box needed changing due to damp. Still, it seems to be all in order now.

Rich

Hi Rich.

No worries mate, I've seen that on the other thread. I think it was the weather conditions today that were the problem.

I like the Usk reservoir. It's produced the goods on numerous occasions. A couple of years ago, there was a pair of Goshawks near the waters edge and gave great views. Another bird that I love is the Osprey, and this is seen in the spring and autumn on migration, although I'm sure a pair could establish there. Never seen LRP there, but GC Grebe breed there and Goosander is a nice bird to see.

Not a bad place to take the car for a run - glad it's working well now.

All the best,
Justin

Plenty of reports from Carmarthenshire in the last 10 days, which is good to see. Here are the highlights of the last 10 days:

13th - 1 Peregrine (male), Cilyrychen Quarry.

14th - 70 Turnstone, Burry Port

15th - 1 Great White Egret, c.1200 Lapwing, Cilsan Bridge.

16th - 2 Great Northern Diver, 13 Red-breasted Merganser, Pwll
- 3 Scaup, Sandy Water Park
- 2 Woodcock, Crychan Forest
- 20 Skylark, Mynydd Du
- 1 Great White Egret, c.400 Lapwing, Cilsan Bridge

20th - 3 Dipper, Pentre-felin (displaying)
- 3 Mistle Thrush, Llandybie

21st - 1 Pink-footed Goose, Cilsan Bridge - rare for south Wales, especially in February.

22nd - 150 Golden Plover, Cilsan Bridge
- 25 Whooper Swan, Dryslwyn

Many of these birds are winter visitors and will soon be leaving to their breeding grounds when the weather turns milder here. There will soon be many birds leaving, many birds arriving, and many birds displaying, so get out there and enjoy the bird life we have in Carmarthenshire!

23rd - 8 Goosander (2 male, 6 female) & 4 Goldeneye, Talley Lakes
- c.100 Golden Plover, Cilsan Bridge

24th - Marsh Harrier, Pembrey Saltings

25th - 3 Scaup, Sandy Water Park
- Barn Owl, Llwynhendy

26th - 27 Whooper Swan, between Cilsan Bridge and Dryslwyn, Tywi Valley
- Merlin, Cilsan Bridge
- Goshawk, Male Hen Harrier, 4 Crossbill & 15000 Starling, Cynghordy,
(Crychan Forest)

27th - 3 Scaup (females) & Great Crested Grebe displaying, Sandy Water Park
- 200 Golden Plover, Cilsan Bridge
- Record numbers of Siskins in gardens
- Velvet Scoter, Telpyn Point

1st March - 2 Pink Footed Goose, 27 Whooper Swan & 50 Fieldfare, Cilsan Bridge
- Long Tailed Duck (drake), Marros
- 1 Pink Footed Goose, 230 Greylag Geese & 27 Whooper Swan, Cilsan Bridge

2nd - Good numbers of waders and wildfowl at Kidwelly Quay, including 78 Pintail and
c.800 Lapwing with c.150 Golden Plover.
- Barn Owl, A48 dual carriageway between Cross Hands and Carmarthen

3rd - 1 Pink-footed Goose & 21 Whooper Swan, Cilsan Bridge
- 2 Great White Egret, WWT National Wetland Centre Wales, Llanelli
- Great Tit in a garden in Llandovery with possible 'Avian Pox'

This is a good time to urge people to give their bird feeders and feeding stations a good clean, with warm water and disinfectant. Lets not allow things like this to spread to all the other small birds that visit the garden and affect the local population.

Hi Justin. There was a female Scaup at Penclacwydd last Sunday. I also had Great White Egret but it was on the opposite side of the estuary.

Glad you got your Goshawk.

Rich

Thanks for that Rich - yes, there have been 1 or 2 Great White Egrets around the Burry Inlet for a while now, but they were in front of the British Steel Hide this morning at the WWT reserve. There were also c.300 Golden Plover today between Cilsan and Dryslwyn on the River Tywi floodplain, and there are also still 2 Pink-footed Geese. All 27 Whooper Swans were also there this afternoon. Personally, I have been to Glasfynydd forestry looking for Goshawks. I did succeed as I saw 2 birds together, however they were just flying away from me heading into the forest to roost.

Justin

As with the rest of Britain, this week has been a transition of wintering birds beginning to leave to their breeding grounds, and breeding migrants arriving.

3rd - c.300 Golden Plover, Ro-Fawr (between Cilsan Bridge and Dryslwyn)
- 2 Pink-footed Goose, 27 Whooper swan, Cilsan Bridge

4th - Lesser Spotted Woodpecker & Green Woodpecker, Dinefwr Park
- Bittern, WWT National Centre for Wales, Llanelli

5th - 88 Brent Geese & 2 Stonechat (a pair), Machynys
- 2 Goshawk, Pwll
- Kingfisher, Cilsan Bridge

7th - 28 Siskin - record numbers in many gardens.
- Great White Egret, WWT National Centre for Wales, Llanelli
- Sand Martin, Pwll Fishing Lakes

8th - Great White Egret, Dinefwr Pools
- Great Spotted, Lesser Spotted & Green Woodpecker, Dinefwr Park
- Avocet (roosting with Oystercatchers), Llansteffan

Several Goosander on Talley Lake yesterday.

Managed to find Dryslwyn Bridge yesterday after taking several wrong turns. Is the best place to park in the castle car park? I noticed somebody had put seed down. Thanks for any info.

Rich

Thanks Rich for that - I like going to Talley Lakes, always plenty of wildfowl on them, especially the farther lake.

Yes, park in the castle car park and then you could either walk on to the bridge and have a look around, or if you can cross the road and walk up the path towards the castle to gain height to look over the floodplain. However, a telescope is needed for this, but you should always be rewarded with seeing something. I recommend spending some time in the castle car park by the feeders because the very rare Tree Sparrow can be seen there in small numbers.

Cheers,
Justin

Here are the latest sightings from a couple of sites in Carmarthenshire from the last few days:

Cilsan Bridge - 2 Kingfishers, Pink-footed Goose, 27 Whooper Swans, 100 Golden Plover & 4 Goosanders.

Dinefwr Pools - Great White Egret

WWT Llanelli - Great White Egret, Avocet

Llansteffan - Avocet

River Towy, around Llandeilo - Green Sandpiper

Sandy Water Park - 2 Chiffchaff

Also reports of Brambling, lots of Siskin and a possible Rough-legged Buzzard near Llandeilo - so it's worth keeping an eye and an ear out at the moment!

Thanks. They tend to be one of the first migrants, and I always enjoy hearing my first one of the spring.

No problem, all the best.
Justin

There is a still a good mixture of bird life in Carmarthenshire. It is predominantly wintering birds still here, but spring migrants are arriving slowly but surely.

- 200+ Golden Plover, with the majority in breeding plumage - Cilsan Bridge
- 7 Goosander, with 3 pairs and a single male - Cilsan Bridge
- Goldeneye, male - Cilsan Bridge
- 1st Wheatear - Pembrey Harbour
- 5 Little Grebe - Cilsan Bridge
- 7 Goldeneye, with small numbers of waders - Kidwelly Quay
- 2 Pink-footed Goose, 27 Whooper Swan & 73 Mute Swan - Cilsan Bridge (14/3)
- 6 Grey Wagtail - 3 pairs - River Cothi
- 5 Dipper - 2 pairs - River Cothi
- Merlin - Mynydd Llanfihangel Rhosycorn, near Brechfa
- 110 Wigeon - Dryslwyn
- Lesser Spotted Woodpecker - Dinefwr Park
- 16 Reed Bunting - Llangain
- Record count of 65 Siskin in a single garden.
- 13 Curlew - River Tywi

There's also been a report of a Common Scoter on Talley Lakes. Using Google Earth, I have worked out these lakes are about 24 miles away from the nearest coastal area. This leads me to wonder whether this report is genuine, especially as we have not had any stormy/windy weather that could possibly blow this bird inshore. Nevertheless, it's worth checking out.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back