• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Waxwings? (1 Viewer)

Himalaya

I take we are not going to have a Waxwing winter this year or is it too early? The last proper Waxwing winter was in 2016-17?

Too early to say. Saw a tweet a few days ago that a poor Rowan crop in Finland means they are moving out of there, but it'll depend on crops elsewhere - if there's a good crop in Norway or Denmark, they may not bother to come as far as Britain.

It doesn’t seem likely so far we are looking at an eruption this year - quite a few have been reported from Scotland and mainly down the East Coast as far as Norfolk this autumn with some inland sightings but not in significant numbers. It might be mild weather in Scandinavia and predominantly westerlies over the past few weeks that is holding them back (and a good berry year on their breeding grounds). Easterlies in the next few weeks could see some movement over the North Sea but it also needs a drop in temperatures with a dwindling berry supply in Scandinavia for us to see a major Waxwing migration.

There's have been a few sightings if you are on Twitter follow @WaxwingsUK they post sightings up. I have found that account very useful when the site have reported sightings in my area I go and pretty much are successful seeing them. Last year I saw a lot of Waxwings when normally if I'm lucky will only see Waxwings once.

Walking home from a walk in Brora earlier today in gorgeous early evening light, and look who I spotted in a tree! First time I've managed to get a decent photo.

Attachments

• waxwing.jpg
    waxwing.jpg
    168.5 KB · Views: 38
Seeing a group of waxwings a short walk from my home in early 2017 was one of the highlights which got me into serious birding :)

Well I managed to see my first Waxwing of the year. Just one today in Balgreen (normally the best place to see them), didn’t take me long to see it hopefully a lot more will arrive in the coming weeks.

I heard that too think it's still just the one in Balgreen in Edinburgh which I've seen twice. Though it's just been one I'm happy I've seen one.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back