• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Watching waders in South England (1 Viewer)

MK90

Always learning
I've recently been trying to get better at identifying waders but its proving tricky without a scope. Does anybody have any recommendations on where would be best in South England for good close up views of waders? Preferably large mixed flocks so I can try my hand at several species.

Thanks

(Sorry for posting this twice, i put it in the wrong forum before)

Hi MK
Have you tried Rainham Marshes? Its not too far from you, and in the winter they have a lot of waders that are easy to see from their hides. Even during the summer they have a lot of breeding Redshanks and Lapwings.

Oare, just north of Faversham, Kent usually has a good range of species. Check tide timetables and get there an hour or so before high tide.

Today, on a rising tide at Farlington, over 1000 waders of 12 species from the viewpoint which didnt include the numerous Curlew in the harbour plus a few Whimbrel no doubt. I'm sure Turnstone, Green Sandpiper and Common Sandpiper would have been additions if I'd had time.

Russ

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back