• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Warbler - Fairburn Ings Yorkshire (1 Viewer)

Questioning features on a regular migrant in my opinion is prudent, when confronted with an ambiguous example such as this, a particularly warm looking individual, with pink strides (when they are normally grey), and UTC's at an extreme position relative to tail length.

Certainly a learning curve for me, and I suspect for a few others in this 2D game!

As for the "Again" jibe...that's the price I'm prepared to pay for shooting from the hip...fortunately my head always sees the light of day unlike some...Hotshot.

But Ken it is the inability to identify common birds from decent pictures that draws my comment. You run up a blind alley and then when your mistake is pointed out you go on another tangent rather than concede the ID. Usually it is beginners that get misled. Looking at this bird it is a warm toned Garden Warbler. What about the jizz said acro? I'm tired and grumpy and apologise for the tone of my previous post but I'm not sure I see the point of what you were doing.

We have all learned from this post. I was unaware that Garden Warblers had yellow eyes (first pic).

Are you being serious or sarcastic?! If the former, try looking at it again; the 'yellow eye" that you can see is actually part of the twig it is perched on! If the latter, are you deliberately stoking a fire?

The overwhelming impression that I get from observing the comments & thought processes of some contributors to these threads is of vivid imaginations looking too hard for features which aren't there in an effort to make common species into rarities! Thinking 'outside the box' can be useful when brainstorming something problematic but when it's fairly straightforward, all it does is cause confusion and irritation and the usefulness of the whole exercise is completely lost. After a while it becomes tiresome and my head begins to hurt!

Last edited:
... an effort to make common [species] into rarities! ....
Sad to say, Garden Warbler is no longer common :-C - e.g. around here (lowland Northumbs), the three alternatives suggested, Whitethroat, Reed and Grasshopper Warblers, are all easier to find. Not sure if Fairburn Ings differs, but it's not so very far away, so quite possibly not.

We have all learned from this post. I was unaware that Garden Warblers had yellow eyes (first pic).

That's a great observation Bubbs!....another one that I missed! The more you look at it, the more it looks like a break in the stem exposing a yellow eye. :t:

Deadly serious 3:)

He-he-he! In that case I won't intervene but will let the children get on with their little game of 'spot the (rare) birdy'! At least by sitting in front of a computer all day 'virtual birding', it keeps you out of the way of birders out in the field. :t:

Have fun guys!

Sorry, not very good with bird song :>(
Location was scrub land at 53°44'14" N 1°20'33" W

Ok no probs but worth a listen next time as the Garden Warbler song is very rich and well worth listening too, not to mention helps distinguish it form the other species mentioned :)

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back