• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Walrus in Ireland (2 Viewers)

Tusks look smaller and lacks the general male wartiness of Wally. I agree, different animal. So - thanks for the lead line - Where's Wally?

John

Is this Dutch Walrus twitchable?
Not particularly. It was fouraging daily at the "Noordzeepromenade" on 19–22 October, but after that only on the 25th. On the other days, it was only seen distantly or not at all. Once it is fouraging, it sticks to its location for hours, so from a Dutch perspective it is twitchable: from Lithuania, it's a really big gamble!
The main issue is that if it is in the navy base you'll have very distant views at best.
For locations, see Waarneming.nl

Not particularly. It was fouraging daily at the "Noordzeepromenade" on 19–22 October, but after that only on the 25th. On the other days, it was only seen distantly or not at all. Once it is fouraging, it sticks to its location for hours, so from a Dutch perspective it is twitchable: from Lithuania, it's a really big gamble!
The main issue is that if it is in the navy base you'll have very distant views at best.
For locations, see Waarneming.nl
Guess I'll have to wait till it takes a paddle up the Baltic and a 300 km waddle across middle Lithuania ... it is then most welcome to take a break in my pool 👍

Here is the Dutch Walrus resting on a submarine of the Dutch "Walrus" class (the vessel is named "Dolphin" for added marine mammal confusion!):

Really interesting article mentioning the effects of climate change, population increase, offshore windfarms and even prolonged northerly winds (i remember 2 belugas turning up after a long spell of northerlies).

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back