• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Wales, Choughs, Osprey and Jellyfish!! (1 Viewer)

Original PaulE

United Kingdom
Just back from a trip to Wales based near Dolgellau, but we got around a bit, only 5 days in total and 2 of them were mainly travelling! We wanted to see Choughs so the first full day was a trip north to Anglesey, stopping off for the Buff-breasted Sandpiper on the way! Great views of it and the Choughs with an Osprey thrown in for good measure! There is a fuller report on the blog, Part 1 of 2, scroll past the nostalgia fest at the start if I was you, to get to loads of pics of the above mentioned birds and much more! Lots of Jellyfish stranded on a beach, pics on the blog, anyone know what sort they are and whether they are able to survive until re-floated on the high tide!! Strange looking critters out of the water for sure!!
559A5620.JPG
559A6662.JPG

The Jellyfish are Rhizostoma octopus, (referring to 8 tentacles, not the molluscs); a plankton feeder. If they have been stranded for any length of time then they are done for; indeed many which strand are probably moribund before the stranding.
As for dd in Welsh, I presume you know this is pronounced as a th...

The Jellyfish are Rhizostoma octopus, (referring to 8 tentacles, not the molluscs); a plankton feeder. If they have been stranded for any length of time then they are done for; indeed many which strand are probably moribund before the stranding.
As for dd in Welsh, I presume you know this is pronounced as a th...
Thanks for that information! Yes felt they were probably done for, will anything eat them, were plenty there. Yes the language baffles me, though was only a light hearted dig, When we at Lake Vyrnwy the carpark machine was stuck on Welsh, Margie worked it out, but a couple of others didn't pay because of it!! My Dad is a Welsh Speaker and he thinks having the road signs, especially warning ones in both languages is crazy especially as Welsh is at the top!!, I had a go with the Duo lingo app but no chance!

The second and final part of our short break to Wales is on the blog now at the link below, Dippers, Kingfisher, Goosander some cracking scenery, a visit to Lake Vyrnwy and a climb up Cadair Idris, though maybe not to the top, the highlights! Though the Hunny Buns, Ice Creams and me meditating are also excellent!!
IMG_3727.JPG

559A7416.JPG

An enjoyable write up Paul, and some nice pics by you and your partner.
The area round Dolgellau is one of my favourite places in the whole world - my cousins grew up just outside the town at Torrent Walk and we used to visit all the time during my childhood in the late 70's/early 80s. I've revisited over the years whenever i can. You're probably aware that the area is traditionally great for Hawfinch, though sadly it seems that this year the dreaded trichomoniasis is starting to enter the population.
I guess you didn't grow up there - is that where your dad is from originally?
Cheers, Mike.

An enjoyable write up Paul, and some nice pics by you and your partner.
The area round Dolgellau is one of my favourite places in the whole world - my cousins grew up just outside the town at Torrent Walk and we used to visit all the time during my childhood in the late 70's/early 80s. I've revisited over the years whenever i can. You're probably aware that the area is traditionally great for Hawfinch, though sadly it seems that this year the dreaded trichomoniasis is starting to enter the population.
I guess you didn't grow up there - is that where your dad is from originally?
Cheers, Mike.
Thanks Mike, yes my father was born there and we holidayed every year at my Grandparents house and like you we try to visit as often as possible, My dad lives just up the road at Llanelltyd so we stay at his house when we go. My dad occasionally got Hawfinch on his bird table and I've seen them a couple of times myself. When we was kids we use to walk up the old railway line along the river, towards the Mawdach estuary, now it's a proper nature trail!! Hoping to visit in the spring next year!!
cheers

Paul

Wow that's a fantastic bird to get on a bird table! The churchyard there often has some in over the winter months, in fact there was a feeding/ringing area just inside the cemetery along the churchyard wall. Sadly, all that research has had to be cancelled to avoid the birds getting tricho.

I wonder if your dad knew my uncle - Philip Harrison, he had an architects business by the little river in town.
One of my cousins has just bought a cottage next to the place they grew up at Torrent Walk! :)

Wow that's a fantastic bird to get on a bird table! The churchyard there often has some in over the winter months, in fact there was a feeding/ringing area just inside the cemetery along the churchyard wall. Sadly, all that research has had to be cancelled to avoid the birds getting tricho.

I wonder if your dad knew my uncle - Philip Harrison, he had an architects business by the little river in town.
One of my cousins has just bought a cottage next to the place they grew up at Torrent Walk! :)
I will have to ask him next time I see him. The Hawfinch on the bird table was a few years ago,think it was a cold winter, although I saw a couple pre covid in the area of the churchyard! Lots of Mistle thrushes as well as I recall!! Don't often go in the winter!!

Yes it can be a bit wet and windy in the winter!
The George is a cracking spot as u say, nice to sit out and enjoy the view.
Used to be a spot for Honey Buzzards, but not for a good few years now. 👍🦆

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back