• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

WAITING FOR TRINOVID 7x42 BN (1 Viewer)

So far i had really outstanding experience with Leica CS in Portugal, it also depends -concerning the costs- if there is still warranty on the scope.
Yes I'll see what they say, I think the broken eyecup should be fixed for free as it's a recurring problem and other members who had the same thing got it fixed for free
Concerning the scratched eyepiece, I truly hope they will replace it at the same time but I think I will have to pay for it

This morning they were at a facility at Heathrow Airport, which is approximately 20 miles (30km) away from me. This evening they have arrived in.....

.....Leipzig in Germany!!!!!
Oh, I’ve seen this before!! Nothing to worry about, ‘cause they know what they’re doing; this is a shortcut!
Doesn’t look like one to you or me, but that’s because we don’t understand shipping! Much quicker to send them to Germany than to Guildford, absolutely it is!
(Sheesh!)

I think the broken eyecup should be fixed for free as it's a recurring problem and other members who had the same thing got it fixed for free
I hope they’ll do that on the 8x20 Ultravid I’ve got to send in to. Cracked eyecup and drifting diopter setting.

Oh, I’ve seen this before!! Nothing to worry about, ‘cause they know what they’re doing; this is a shortcut!
Doesn’t look like one to you or me, but that’s because we don’t understand shipping! Much quicker to send them to Germany than to Guildford, absolutely it is!
(Sheesh!)
Morning update on this shortcut...

Having arrived at a DHL facility at London Heathrow Airport yesterday morning, then flown to a DHL facility in Leipzig yesterday afternoon, they flew to a DHL facility at London Luton Airport overnight, from where they were transported back to the DHL facility they arrived at yesterday morning at London Heathrow Airport by road, and where they have remained since 01:00 this morning, doubtless somewhat dazed and confused and feeling like it's Groundhog Day.

Screenshot_20230501_071015_Chrome.jpg

I'm going back to bed...

Last edited:
A lot has happened in the world over the last 7 days, but sadly very little has happened at the DHL facility at Heathrow Airport where my repaired binoculars are still residing...

Screenshot_20230508_052420_Chrome.jpg

A lot has happened in the world over the last 7 days, but sadly very little has happened at the DHL facility at Heathrow Airport where my repaired binoculars are still residing...
That's the same thing that happened with my Curio 7x21, Finland to Alaska in a couple of days, then two more weeks for them to go 100 miles.

There is some on both.... not something i'm overly sensitive to... and it didn't seem to interfere with the view for me.
I guess some will notice it.
I notice overly flat field views, and it looks sterile to me.... but some folk love it.
It's probably why overall, Leica seem to be my favourite brand.
Beautiful 'old school' view. I do love Ultravids too.

I can't give you an educated comparison (although there is a 10x32 Trinovid HD in the household here), but I've been using the BA Trinnies in dull, grey conditions, for the most part so far, and have actually been surprised by the lack of CA. I've actually experienced worse in a couple of different format Ultravids for sure. So, viewing birds perched on bare winter branches against a dull grey sky has been an extremely pleasurable experience. I took particular note of the lack of CA while watching a group of ring-necked parakeets, the BA's rendering the colours of their plumage magnificently, without any further green along the edges of the branches.

I'm not saying CA is completely absent, but it's significantly better controlled than I had anticipated. 🙂

Thanks for your earlier responses to my query. I chanced upon a pair of 8x32 BA's described as in excellent condition for a very low price from infocus and took a gamble. Subjective opinions on CA are, I wouldn't want it higher, but surprisingly it seemed noticeably better than the current Trinovid HDs that I tried a while back. It was only an issue when looking at birds high in branches against a bright but very grey sky. CA, aside I really like them - nice size and weight and the slightly saturated but not unnatural colour balance is very easy on the eye. My normal 8x32's are ELs and they made a nice contrast - a more relaxed view compared to the more contrasty (analytical?) ELs. Similar speed focusers, with the Trini not quite as smooth, but more than good enough. Very pleasant to use, and I suspect they'll get reasonably regular use, particularly on bright summer days.

View attachment 1508724
Could be held up due to union strikes in April and May.

Morning update on this shortcut...

Having arrived at a DHL facility at London Heathrow Airport yesterday morning, then flown to a DHL facility in Leipzig yesterday afternoon, they flew to a DHL facility at London Luton Airport overnight, from where they were transported back to the DHL facility they arrived at yesterday morning at London Heathrow Airport by road, and where they have remained since 01:00 this morning, doubtless somewhat dazed and confused and feeling like it's Groundhog Day.

I'm going back to bed...
You have my commiserations.
I have often wondered at such circuitous routing. Are these carriers bored? Or just very disorganized and inept.

So, i got very good news yesterday from the vendor. The Leica 8x42 BN is on it‘s way back from Portugal. Repaired under warranty, so free of charge. Another fantastic Leica experience! Tempted to buy a Retrovid 7x35 now ….:)
Finally the 8x42 BN’s arrived last week from Portugal, they fixed them under warranty and they look great, today i took them out together with the 7’s. They are really different: e.g. more detail vs wider fov. Honestly i think i would be happy with either of them but in direct comparison you really see the differences. The 8x is still IMO a perfect allround binocular and the 7x is amazing in the forest and generally very relaxed to look through. The 7x also survived the drop test…😅IMG_4433.jpegIMG_4431.jpegIMG_4430.jpegIMG_4432.jpeg

Finally the 8x42 BN’s arrived last week from Portugal, they fixed them under warranty and they look great, today i took them out together with the 7’s. They are really different: e.g. more detail vs wider fov. Honestly i think i would be happy with either of them but in direct comparison you really see the differences. The 8x is still IMO a perfect allround binocular and the 7x is amazing in the forest and generally very relaxed to look through. The 7x also survived the drop test…😅View attachment 1509144View attachment 1509146View attachment 1509147View attachment 1509145
What a pair of absolute beauties! 😍

The 7x appear to have survived the full water immersion test as well as the drop test! 😉

Thanks for sharing those super images! 🍻

ENJOY!!! 😁

What a pair of absolute beauties! 😍

The 7x appear to have survived the full water immersion test as well as the drop test! 😉

Thanks for sharing those super images! 🍻

ENJOY!!! 😁
Thank you James, any news from the DHL saga. I hope your recovery goes well.

Thank you James, any news from the DHL saga. I hope your recovery goes well.
You know what, I do believe the saga is drawing to an end. I reckon they could be with Leica in London by the end of the day today, although it's more likely to be early next week (given the lack of energy which has been applied to this delivery so far). I confess though, that overall I've become a little weary with it all and lost some of my enthusiasm. The wonderful photos of your beautiful returned copy of the identical binoculars did give me a bit of a lift, however!

This is the state of play this morning...

Screenshot_20230512_063233_Chrome.jpg
And thank you very much for asking about my convalescence. All appears to be good and although I still have a degree of pain, which is to be expected, I've walked a 10 mile (16km) route the last 3 days consecutively, accompanied by my 10x25 CL Pocket's.

James 🙂 🍻

20230507_153459.jpg20230413_085625.jpg

Last edited:
You know what, I do believe the saga is drawing to an end. I reckon they could be with Leica in London by the end of the today, although it's more likely to be early next week (given the lack of energy which has been applied to this delivery so far). I confess though, that overall I've become a little weary with it all and lost some of my enthusiasm. The wonderful photos of your beautiful returned copy of the identical binoculars did give me a bit of a lift, however!

View attachment 1509445
And thank you very much for asking about my convalescence. All appears to be good and although I still have a degree of pain, which is to be expected, I've walked a 10 mile (16km) route the last 3 days consecutively, accompanied by my 10x25 CL Pocket's.

James 🙂 🍻

View attachment 1509448View attachment 1509447

Your Leica will arrive next week, a little green bird just told me 🦜 ;)

Well James I’m very happy that you are well and walked 16 (!) km. That’s what i would call a speedy recovery.

Beautiful foto’s, but i hope to see pictures of your serviced Leica very soon 🍻

Have a nice weekend!

Your Leica will arrive next week, a little green bird just told me 🦜 ;)

Well James I’m very happy that you are well and walked 16 (!) km. That’s what i would call a speedy recovery.

Beautiful foto’s, but i hope to see pictures of your serviced Leica very soon 🍻

Have a nice weekend!
I think you're probably right and reckon that little green bird must have been following the DHL van, because I see they've already been delivered to Leica in London...

Screenshot_20230512_115444_Chrome.jpg
Now hoping I'll receive a telephone call at some point this afternoon.

Will continue to post updates and eventually some photos. 📷

You have a great weekend too! 🙂🍻

You know what, I do believe the saga is drawing to an end. I reckon they could be with Leica in London by the end of the day today, although it's more likely to be early next week (given the lack of energy which has been applied to this delivery so far). I confess though, that overall I've become a little weary with it all and lost some of my enthusiasm. The wonderful photos of your beautiful returned copy of the identical binoculars did give me a bit of a lift, however!

View attachment 1509445

James 🙂 🍻

View attachment 1509448View attachment 1509447
Get well soon, James! A great stag by the way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back