• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Very busy at the bird feeder today! (7 Viewers)

Nice pics BFB, and tree face haha.

Wren and Greenfinch this morning joined the regulars on the feeders, plus 3 Blackbirds taking Hawthorn berries.

Lovely shots BFB. Wrens, LTT's, a Chiffy, GSW and the usual Nuthatchs, Finches, Tits,Sparrows etc. plus quite a few Jays. All good to see though.

Rich

150 starlings on the telephone wire this afternoon, 20 at a time hitting the feeders. Sparrows doing the same, with tits, dunnocks, chaffs, goldies and greenfinch trying to get a look in.

8 Goldfinches, 2 Greenfinches and 3 House Sparrows today.

At the mother-in-law's this afternoon 100+ Starlings were feeding on hedges and Rooks were gathering on chimney pots at dusk. Winter is here...

Turns out the house sparrows are more than happy to empty a nyjer feeder, even when there's plenty of other food. Guess they're always going to rule my garden !

Our yards are still really quiet here in Houston. Even our residents are visiting only rarely. Luckily, we have Ruby-throated Hummers still passing through. Also, the first big cold front of the autumn has just arrived and I'm hoping it will bring in more birds.
Jeff

Attachments

• 10536344_10152379521753061_5782332208208355456_o.jpg
    10536344_10152379521753061_5782332208208355456_o.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 32
Lovely jeff

I have to agree, I spent the first three weeks of May in Canada, staying with one of my daughters and catching the spring migration. Just loved watching the Hummers on her feeders.

Back here, I should explain that I'm now retired, so more time for birding and more time in the garden. I've always wondered what I was missing when I was at work.

Last week I got the Kingfisher, yesterday I added one more to my list. I had noticed several Blackbirds feasting on some Whitebeam berries down the garden, so thought I would try for a photo of one eating a berry. I didn't manage to get a good shot though, too many twigs in the way. I did get a Mistle Thrush though, first this year, then the best so far, a Ring Ouzel came, grabbed a few berries and was gone. I managed 4 or 5 shots in the 15 seconds it was there. The best two attached along with the Mistle Thrush.

Attachments

• P1130628.JPG
    P1130628.JPG
    127.7 KB · Views: 31
  • P1130637.JPG
    P1130637.JPG
    124.3 KB · Views: 32
  • P1130639.JPG
    P1130639.JPG
    118.6 KB · Views: 30
It never ceases to surprise me how things can change in the garden.

Last year we had 18 Long Tailed Tits on the feeders and most of this year we have none at all? (I saw one solitary LTT checking out the feeders last month )

We have had a huge number of Gold Finches however and we are still seeing new fledglings even this week :eek!:

Today I watched as Collared Dove after Collared Dove flew into the garden eventually totalling 11 :eek!: The most we have ever seen at one time before is 4 squabbling Parents and siblings. Gale force winds and continuous rain has clearly prevented them from feeding in the local fields

I was curious if anyone else had experienced unusually high numbers of certain species in their gardens this year ?

Attachments

• Collared Doves aplenty.jpg
    Collared Doves aplenty.jpg
    552 KB · Views: 34
It never ceases to surprise me how things can change in the garden.

Last year we had 18 Long Tailed Tits on the feeders and most of this year we have none at all? (I saw one solitary LTT checking out the feeders last month )

We have had a huge number of Gold Finches however and we are still seeing new fledglings even this week :eek!:

Today I watched as Collared Dove after Collared Dove flew into the garden eventually totalling 11 :eek!: The most we have ever seen at one time before is 4 squabbling Parents and siblings. Gale force winds and continuous rain has clearly prevented them from feeding in the local fields

I was curious if anyone else had experienced unusually high numbers of certain species in their gardens this year ?

Yes, eb, it's house sparrows in our case this year. They've had a good breeding season, and don't seem to have moved off as they usually do; maybe it's due to the early harvest and resowing so there's not so much seed available in the fields. There's about 3 dozen; twice as many as usual, and taking seed heads in the insect border! I wouldn't want all your collared doves... take some feeding!

Our yards have been quiet for weeks. Maybe the presence of a Cooper's Hawk hasn't helped, tho it seems to prefer rats to birds.
Two possible winter residents showed up in our yards on Saturday: Orange-crowned Warbler and Pine Warbler. However, I haven't seen them since, so they were probably just migrating through.

Jeff

Attachments

• 1464597_10152451499963061_1804672699741818577_n.jpg
    1464597_10152451499963061_1804672699741818577_n.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 27

Users who are viewing this thread

Back