• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Very busy at the bird feeder today! (5 Viewers)

Its getting that time of year when my garden starts to come alive a bit more. 2 Sparrowhawk attacks today. Last night a Tawny Owl called from the trees but I couldn't see it. Last year two spent a few days fighting each other around the garden, I think an adult was trying to get a juvenile to leave territory?

17 Blue Tits today which is a garden record.

Dave

Male GSW feeding on the Peanut butter that I put out this morning, so that didn't take long to seduce it in. Tawny Owl calling for a few nights and the Fox almost nightly now.

After a week away and no-one to fill the feeders daily, most of the birds have abandoned the garden. Just a few Chaffinches and Blue Tits, plus a couple of Woodpigeons. Cheaper, but it's just not the same.

Very quiet in our Texas garden at present. Most resident birds seem to be hiding away, perhaps cos they're embarrassed by being in moult.

We do have a few Ruby-throated Hummingbirds stopping off to fuel up for their 600-mile flight across the Gulf of Mexico.

Jeff
www.jeffincypress.blogspot.com

Attachments

• 10616059_10152368116148061_8801305239288663862_n.jpg
    10616059_10152368116148061_8801305239288663862_n.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 26
I have only ever seen one Jay in my garden.

He had a liking for fatballs so I probably offended him when I stopped offering them in August.

A Red Admiral was a first for the garden yesterday.

House Sparrows keep making occasional visits, so hopefully over the winter they will be regulars.

Tawny owls have been calling here too this week.

Grey Heron flyover today, poor thing was being mobbed by around 300 Rooks. Not sure why that many Rooks would feel threatened by one Heron.

Also today a very bright Grass Snake in the Garden, too fast for any photo.

Lots of loud drumming too, a Great Spotted destroying a nest box that housed Blue Tits in the spring. looks like I'll need a new one for next year.

Attachments

• P1130408.JPG
    P1130408.JPG
    98.5 KB · Views: 41
Pied Wagtail, Wren and a Nuthatch of note this morning in the warm sunshine. A noticeable increase in Blackbirds and the Greenfinches are more regular again

Dave

Attachments

• Nuthatch.jpg
    Nuthatch.jpg
    292.6 KB · Views: 42
  • Nuthatch2.jpg
    Nuthatch2.jpg
    696.3 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:
Cracking pictures BFB. Would love to have a nuthatch here.

Also, had a Red Admiral yesterday Bongo. Wonder if yours flew to East Kilbride !

Beautiful pics BFB, what is that on the tree below the nuthatch?

Goldfinches with juveniles, sparrows, blue tit, coal tit and a magpie. Lots of red admirals here too last week, but today is wet and windy.

Beautiful pics BFB, what is that on the tree below the nuthatch?

Goldfinches with juveniles, sparrows, blue tit, coal tit and a magpie. Lots of red admirals here too last week, but today is wet and windy.

Tree face...... not sure if birds are genuinely inquisitive to it or it is just another perch ;)

Attachments

• birdface.jpg
    birdface.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 38

Users who are viewing this thread

Back