• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Very busy at the bird feeder today! (3 Viewers)

The guy next door has felled a tree a couple of days ago that was used by the birds as an initial perching place prior to coming to my feeders -suddenly all my garden birds have dried up to almost nothing although there are still a couple more trees, do you think they will return??

The guy next door has felled a tree a couple of days ago that was used by the birds as an initial perching place prior to coming to my feeders -suddenly all my garden birds have dried up to almost nothing although there are still a couple more trees, do you think they will return??

Yes Roy I am sure they will return. Food is the reason for their journey. They will find another perch or something similar. Give it a few days.

My neighbours took down 6 trees a few weeks ago and the bats have retreated to some new trees a few yards further away but DONT come into my garden now. They stay in my neighbours garden and that b@astard doesn't even appreciated them.

I still get bemused when neighbours chop all the trees down, is it to far fetched to want to strangle them ;)

Yeah. We were pissed! 13 trees and half a dozen boxwoods....
Nothing we could do about it.
We lived in the little house in the before shot for over 30 years. How we loved all those trees! Even had a family of owls nesting in one right off out bedroom, 7 all together. THAT... was fun!
We warned them about taking out all of their natural shade. You think they listened? We NEVER see them outside now that it is hot and sunny. Wonder why....

Our other new neighbors tore all the beautiful ivy off their shed, for what reason I do not know. So much for the nice background for our feeder...
9189436347_78c8e27960_b.jpg
Last year
14424334767_b08d4f1fb2_b.jpg
This year
:C

Our other new neighbors tore all the beautiful ivy off their shed, for what reason I do not know. So much for the nice background for our feeder...

Best thing to do Dan is find a house without any immediate neighbors. That's what we did last time we moved and we've never been happier. Still close to what we need but don't get bothered by other peoples noise/ mess/ kids etc.

Lots of young birds at our feeders now. Still a few lazy youngsters expecting to be fed weeks after being fledged:

14545934009_c60c658b9f_b.jpg

Piece of dead Burr oak, with a few holes drilled, and packed with walnuts has turned out to be a good attractor. Carolina Chickadee gave a good look. Downy woodpeckers apparently bringing the last of the mulberries to the stick, stuffing in a hole and eating at leisure. To an extent, a woodpeckers home made pemmican of walnuts, mulberries, and a few ants all mixed together.

Attachments

• IMGP0275.jpg
    IMGP0275.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 35
Goldfinch with fledglings

Had a Goldfinch with 4 fledglings on my nyger bird feeder this morning very young flapping around and still unable to feed themselves , isnt this a bit late in the season, possibly a second brood

Yes, it is indeed!
We have had a real mix since mid June, juveniles, first year, young adult, older... both sexes. For a while we were able to keep track of them, but now it is hard. We figure well over 20 individuals by now. We have a few regulars, and they all have names, but we also see new ones often enough. Word gets around who is dishing up the tastiest sunflower seeds.
I try to get pictures of all of them. It will be something to do during the winter to identify them all, and then see how many of the same ones come back next year. The eye rings seem to be unique with each one and make identification easier.
14697122688_d5406a7806_b.jpg

14883390322_78e215c088_o.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back