• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Very busy at the bird feeder today! (3 Viewers)

First House Martin over the house this evening, I only get this species once in a while. Still a few dozen Swifts though. A juvenile Blue Tit is very aggressive to the juvenile Coal Tits and the Greenfinch family have returned after a few weeks absence.

This is my first time having a nester with a Blue Tit. She has laid several eggs and then disappeared. I don't know what to do next. She came back after almost 3 weeks, looked into the nester but did not go in. Then she left and has not returned. I have just left the nester alone, but am not sure if I should assume she has abandoned the nest. How long should I wait? Do I eventually have to clean out the eggs and the nest? Thank you for any advice and help.

Hi

I would assume that the nest has indeed been abandoned, and the Blue Tit that looked in could have been the parent or even a different bird prospecting the nest. She certainly wont be attempting to sit on the eggs now after such a long time away. I would clean out the nest and let a bird move in when they are ready.

Dave

Shared a project over the holiday weekend with my grand daughter. We drilled an piece of fallen burr oak, and packed the holes with walnuts. Hoping to catch flying squirrels with an ad hoc camera trap. We got virtually everything but squirrels. Eurasian Tree Sparrows here, mob House Sparrows, and keep them away. Nothing messing with the Red-bellied WP's.
First ETS I've caught taking walnuts, House finch controlling thistle feeder seems why.

Attachments

• Eur Tree Sparrow.jpg
    Eur Tree Sparrow.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 36
  • Red-belliedWP.jpg
    Red-belliedWP.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 46
Are House Sparrows still declining in Britain? They seem to be doing just fine here in the USA. A few times every day up to 20 of them fly in to mob our feeders.
Jeff

Hi Jeff, Im certainly doing well in scotland.I get around 20-30 fly in every morning and leave at bed time. They are costing me a fortune.|:d| Here is a couple of them from today.

Grant

14411875408_9429a69d09_z_d.jpg

14618560903_e9d3002d2c_z_d.jpg

^ Send some down to Durham if you've got too many |:d| I haven't seen a single one in my garden in 15 years.

We had 2 Jays land at the base of our feeders yesterday. Presumably one was a juvenile as it was being fed by the other.Very wary birds so I didn't manage a pic before they flew.

^ Send some down to Durham if you've got too many |:d| I haven't seen a single one in my garden in 15 years.

We had 2 Jays land at the base of our feeders yesterday. Presumably one was a juvenile as it was being fed by the other.Very wary birds so I didn't manage a pic before they flew.

I wish i could, the tits and finches struggle to get near the feeders. Im surprised to hear you dont have any. I met a guy from down south at leven rspb who tells me starlings are scarce down his way as well. If i put out fat balls ill have a dozen of them within the hour:eek!: My favourites are the finches and luckily the nyger seed is left for them. Your lucky to get the jays, we only have the odd one in the woods nearby and they see you a mile away so cant get near. If you get them regularly in your garden i suggest making a hide nearby and sitting as long as you can.a friend of mine does this and gets great pics but they are very shy birds.:t:

Grant

Plenty of House Sparrows living in my front hedge where they have been for many years. Unbelievable din from them at dusk (probably dawn too).

My Robin seems to have disappeared - probably lost a fight with a rival.

Your lucky to get the jays, we only have the odd one in the woods nearby and they see you a mile away so cant get near. If you get them regularly in your garden i suggest making a hide nearby and sitting as long as you can.a friend of mine does this and gets great pics but they are very shy birds.:t:

Grant

A good idea, I've considered it in the past but would rarely have the time to sit in it. I just tend to get a few minutes birdwatching in when I can.

The Jays have returned today. Twice I spooked them even staying well back behind my window. I'm hoping to get a shot of them together as what I'm seeing is the parent teaching the juvenile where to find food. So far though I've only managed one bird or the other. Here's the juvenile from a few minutes ago. The lattice lines in the BG are due to shooting through leaded glass:

14654141915_e2b7943d91_b.jpg

Nice shot, Mark.
I like Jays. I find them very pretty.
I had a lot of fun last fall trying to get them transporting nuts. I knew their flight path, more or less, so I set up my 960mm telescope with a D7000 on it and fired away when they flew past. Not many keepers, in fact, it was very hard just keeping them in the frame, not to mention focusing the scope!
10324892424_ee94758157_b.jpg
We have seen them in the woods around here, and occasionally heard one near our house, but they have yet to visit out feeder. Maybe they don't like sunflower seeds...;)

Nice shot, Mark.
I like Jays. I find them very pretty.
I had a lot of fun last fall trying to get them transporting nuts. I knew their flight path, more or less, so I set up my 960mm telescope with a D7000 on it and fired away when they flew past. Not many keepers, in fact, it was very hard just keeping them in the frame, not to mention focusing the scope!
View attachment 505553
We have seen them in the woods around here, and occasionally heard one near our house, but they have yet to visit out feeder. Maybe they don't like sunflower seeds...;)

Thanks Dan, that's a really nice flight shot too. That's the key as you mention, anticipating their flight path. The two I'm seeing come for the suet. The adult is hanging on the feeder and knocking it down for the juv to eat.

couple of great jay shots there Dan amd Mark.:t: I dont get any in the garden but im being mobbed by sparrows just now. Since my last post i managed to get my first good jay shot in woodland and posted it in the gallery yesterday.

Grant

Thanks, guys.
This is my favorite from that day, but I must confess that I cloned out some branches that otherwise ruined the shot. No purist, me!;)
10329047116_47c6f5ede0_b.jpg
Distance is about 30-35 meters. No chance without my 960mm scope!

A good idea, I've considered it in the past but would rarely have the time to sit in it. I just tend to get a few minutes birdwatching in when I can.

The Jays have returned today. Twice I spooked them even staying well back behind my window. I'm hoping to get a shot of them together as what I'm seeing is the parent teaching the juvenile where to find food. So far though I've only managed one bird or the other. Here's the juvenile from a few minutes ago. The lattice lines in the BG are due to shooting through leaded glass:

View attachment 505485

Great photo, especially given it was taken through glass.
Jeff

Users who are viewing this thread

Back