• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Very busy at the bird feeder today! (6 Viewers)

Serves you right you greedy Crows!

^ enjoying seeing the pics of this years juv's, keep them coming :t:

Had a male GSW for the first times this year with a Nuthatch calling a few gardens away, both species scarce visitors to my garden.

Good result! I hear them in friends gardens in urban areas but the reason I think we see them all the time here is the fact that we have woodland next door, a natural habitat for them. Our Nuthatches and GSWs have both produced this year. If time permits I'll be looking to photograph them soon.
I put food out for the birds this afternoon inc some poultry mixture which the Pheasants seem to enjoy. 3 female Pheasants came straight out from the bushes to start devouring it and were promptly seen off by a couple of common Crows. The Crows got a taste of their own medicine though when this usually timid bird landed between them and sent them packing!

14304547769_4ce0815efa_b.jpg

Love the Jay image Mark, very impressive.

Here is one of my not so juvenile Coal Tits. Currently 2 adults and 3 youngsters

Attachments

• Coal-Tit.jpg
    Coal-Tit.jpg
    332.6 KB · Views: 33
The sunflower hearts are getting tanned at the moment, mostly by Blue & Great Tits. Also a few Goldfinches and a couple of Lesser Redpolls looking rather splendid.

Here is one of my not so juvenile Coal Tits. Currently 2 adults and 3 youngsters

Good shot Dave. Good looking birds when seen close up. We get Coaltits in the garden but so far I haven't seen any young birds this year.

The sunflower hearts are getting tanned at the moment, mostly by Blue & Great Tits. Also a few Goldfinches and a couple of Lesser Redpolls looking rather splendid.

Same here, the juv's are feeding well so getting through more than usual

The latest young 'un to turn up is a Red-bellied Woodpecker.
What a tongue!
Jeff
www.jeffincypress.blogspot.com

Well timed shot Jeff, good looking bird.

Spent a few minutes yesterday trying to get shots of the juv's. I didn't get much but interesting to see that three different species were at the same stage of development. In the case of the GSWs, Mum was trying hard to coax her two fledgelings down out of the trees and onto the feeders. They'd follow her from branch to branch but wouldn't come down to take food for themselves, waiting while she flew down to collect suet or nuts when they would squawk loudly until she returned to feed them (see 1st pic). I then saw very much the same behaviour from a nest full of Crows which have fledged at the top of one of my trees (2nd pic). Also the same from the Nuthatches which, although I didn't get a decent shot, have 3 in their brood and both parents were feeding them. Young GTs are more established, the juv's are feeding themselves now, although they still sit chirping and fluttering their wings in the hope an adult will take pity on them and bring an easy meal!

14331776677_65ea475f7e_b.jpg 14517140932_54622f2e37_b.jpg

It's been a funny year so far. The Goldfinches are now the most numerous and regular and there is at least one regular juvenile coming now, they are loving the sunflower hearts but the Greenfinch have all but disappeared for the last year, just the odd one where previously I'd have half a dozen at a time. Coal and Great Tits regular, Starlings only when I put suet cake out. Lasts a day!
But the best visitor recently has been an adult Tree Sparrow last week and earlier this week a juvenile

Attachments

• Tree Sparrow juvenile.jpg
    Tree Sparrow juvenile.jpg
    191.3 KB · Views: 26
Most of the Blackbirds and Starlings pitch right onto my hanging suet feeder but a few birds seems to prefer leaping up and grabbing a few beak fulls before fluttering down again. Too good an opportunity to miss with the Camera although it took a bit of setting up to catch it in the mid air pose.

Attachments

• blackbird leap02.jpg
    blackbird leap02.jpg
    199.2 KB · Views: 50
Worth the effort Roy: love it!

The other birds rarely get a chance when the Starlings are around - which is pretty much as long as the suet is around. They pile onto it it and drive everything else away

Excellent image Roy, just shows what can be done at 'home'. Was it with the new lens?

Phil
This was with my new (but trusty) 400/5.6 Phil, I got it a couple of weeks ago and now I will decide between it and the 150-600.
BTW just heard that it has been made BBC nature wildlife photo of the day (BBC web site/twitter and Facebook) fame at last LOL.

Swamped with Eurasian Tree Sparrows this year, 6 to 8 in the yard, daily.
Fledges and adults beating the Downy, Hairy, & Red Bellied Woodpeckers
to the suet. They turn down walnuts though, which woodpeckers favor.

Attachments

• Eurasion Tree Sparrows.jpg
    Eurasion Tree Sparrows.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 37
Huey, Louie, and Sue

Things have been very busy around here for the last couple of weeks. The little ones have had their fill of worms and other squishy sources of protein, and have discovered a passion for sun flower seeds. Here three of our favorites, whom we have named Huey, Louie and Sue in order to keep track of them. Mama and Papa have also been regulars, Mama less so than Papa, who we see three or four times a day.
Huey
14371402140_2fff261a7f_o.jpg
Louie
14371647567_d16661b8a9_o.jpg
Sue
14371648497_2494db1c46_o.jpg
Mama
14371728607_73395f3f63_o.jpg
Papa
14371729437_44c858e171_o.jpg

Last edited:
Things have been very busy around here for the last couple of weeks. The little ones have had their fill of worms and other squishy sources of protein, and have discovered a passion for sun flower seeds. Here three of our favorites, whom we have named Huey, Louie and Sue in order to keep track of them. Mama and Papa have also been regulars, Mama less so than Papa, who we see three or four times a day.
Huey
View attachment 503830
Louie
View attachment 503831
Sue
View attachment 503832
Mama
View attachment 503833
Papa
View attachment 503834

I've not seen photos of juveniles before, so thanks for sharing them here. :t:
Lovely birds.

Numbers 6 (Sixtus)
14378847378_e6724f2299_b.jpg
and 7 (Sepp).
14542338186_d5568b16df_b.jpg
;)

I have been using closeups of the eye ring to make sure I am not seeing the same bird twice. So we now have 7 individuals! What a treat!!

abandoned Blue tit nester?

This is my first time having a nester with a Blue Tit. She has laid several eggs and then disappeared. I don't know what to do next. She came back after almost 3 weeks, looked into the nester but did not go in. Then she left and has not returned. I have just left the nester alone, but am not sure if I should assume she has abandoned the nest. How long should I wait? Do I eventually have to clean out the eggs and the nest? Thank you for any advice and help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back