• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Very busy at the bird feeder today! (8 Viewers)

Do not often post on here but today was a special day.

In the garden today we had a very busy day, loads of babies of

Great Tit
Blue tit
Goldfinch
Greenfinch
Dunnock
Wood Pigeon
Robin
and to cap it all
Nuthatch.

8 species in all.

Only residents in our yards at present. However, it's fun because many of them are babies.
Thought this American Robin was a juvenile at first but realized it was an adult in molt.

Jeff
www.jeffincypress.blogspot.com

Attachments

• 10348448_10152157343503061_2033137079788938095_n.jpg
    10348448_10152157343503061_2033137079788938095_n.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 24
Hi again all, lovely to read of your visitors.

Lots of juveniles on the feeders this week - 4 or 5 blue tits (enthusiastically begging from house sparrows as well as their parent!) same number of coal tits and a couple of goldfinch juveniles all tucking in to sunflower hearts, fatballs and nyger seeds.

Goldfinch numbers still seem to be down to just a couple of pairs with juveniles, rather than the 10+ I've seen in previous years, but I think they may be seduced by other garden feeders now, where in the past I think I was the only person feeding birds in the immediate area.

interesting mixture of juveniles at the mo.

3 juvenile Coal Tits who have no problem displacing the 2 Squirrels.... something that even the adult jackdaws cant do. 3 juvenile Great Tits and NO juvenile Blue Tits or Blackbirds yet. 3 juvenile Greenfinch are really nice showing superb streaked plumage.

Nice, BFB. Juv LTTs are great looking birds.

No sign of juv Blue Tits here, but up in Perthshire over the weekend I could hear some still in a nest box. Juv Woodpigeon in the garden yesterday.

As per previous years, I seem to lag behind others on here seeing juveniles though the adults constantly flying around with caterpillars etc would suggest they should appear soon.
Garden Warbler continues to sing during daylight hours (I hope he scores soon otherwise he'll be too tired to reproduce!) One Spotted Flycatcher in the garden yesterday:

14187075558_d69fd1e3e7_b.jpg

Special little guest showed up this morning. Leucistic female Northern Cardinal is finally getting accustomed to me after 3 years. It wont bolt when I'm screened behind a dirty window.

Attachments

• LC.jpg
    LC.jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 26
I haven't posted in a while but it's been quiet in the garden till this past few days when the gardens been full of juvenile birds. Tuesday night after a downpour around half a dozen Great & Blue Tit flew in with adults in tow. They've been back a few times.

There's been lots of young Starlings around for a while, ones that nest on the house fledged a while back but there seems to be a constant flow of them.

On top of that we had juvenile Goldfinch, House Sparrows galore and a lone Robin.

The Swifts above the house have built up to around a dozen in number now, I think they are my favourites. They were actually chasing off the Sparrowhawk the other day.

It's been good to catch up on what's going on in everyone else's garden!

Attachments

• 35492.jpg
    35492.jpg
    239.5 KB · Views: 22
  • 77241.jpg
    77241.jpg
    249.6 KB · Views: 21
Just had a laugh at around a dozen juvenile starlings chasing each other nose to tail round the birdbath.

Refill it, so a pair of grotesquely large wood pigeons sit there, displacing most of the water!

Been trying to get scaled comparison shots of Hairy and Downy woodpeckers, for the last few months. Downy seldom coming fully out into the open, because of the Hairy's aggressiveness. Little Lady had a break today and gave me some practice to dress up technique. Both vastly favoring walnuts over suet, along with Red-belied. Hairy the larger, by far.

Attachments

• wp_pnl.jpg
    wp_pnl.jpg
    179.1 KB · Views: 45
Yesterday there was a male Greenfinch at the feeders - first of the year - and a Swift over.

This afternoon, 2 family parties of Great Tits and Blue Tits...about time.

The blackbirds (and a robin) are driving me mad the last couple of days.

Every time I walk up to the kitchen sink there's at least one of them jumps onto the windowsill asking for more raisins. Must have been mugged this way at least a dozen times so far today.

Why catch flies (plenty) when you have a slave who almost puts food in your beak?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back