• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Very busy at the bird feeder today! (3 Viewers)

The garden hs been very quiet this week. Starlings turn up in good numbers when I put the peanut cake out, but once that's gone, barely a bird visits all day. However, a Redpoll and a Goldfinch were on the sunflower hearts this afternoon.

Pretty much the same here, although a replace your Redpoll with a few Greenfinch

I share your pain, BFB. The neighbours opposite us have annihilated their bushes and most importantly the local Song Thrush's favoured tree.

will be even quieter here now as the new neighbour has just taken down SIX trees...... B@stard

I share your lament with the same type of neighbor BFB ;(

I share your pain, BFB. The neighbours opposite us have annihilated their bushes and most importantly the local Song Thrush's favoured tree.

Why do people do this.... ???

I need to see if the Bats are still around this evening. The neighbour next to the idiot next to me still has a few large trees that the Bats may favour. I hope so. We will end up with a world full of featureless gardens and no wildlife whatsoever.

Similar problem here. All trees removed from their garden when they moved in. Hedges trimmed to sterile appearance, regardless of whether they're occupied.

Two stinky tom cats added.

Sadly, probably the majority of the population have no idea about wildlife and its needs at all, and probably wouldn't care if they did know. I wonder if garden wildlife will ever be part of the National Curriculum?.......! Not!

Sadly, probably the majority of the population have no idea about wildlife and its needs at all, and probably wouldn't care if they did know. I wonder if garden wildlife will ever be part of the National Curriculum?.......! Not!

What a wonderful Idea :t: sadly our kids must learn hindu first ;)

The annual starling fest continues to grow in numbers each day, the noise is something else, 2 cute robin youngsters continue to impress,the suet pellets are costing me a fortune with continuous re- filling every day, the main culprits being house sparrows and the starlings feeding there youngsters in droves,must be about 20 at a time in the garden,bullfinches continue to appear on a daily basis, goldfinches and greenfinches as well, also a large number of blackbirds,bats flying about in the evenings, male sparrowhawk as been successful on more than one occasion on his missions.i hope that every day I look out into the garden that the turtle dove might appear but I think that is now a far gone conclusion.

The annual starling fest continues to grow in numbers each day, the noise is something else, 2 cute robin youngsters continue to impress,the suet pellets are costing me a fortune with continuous re- filling every day, the main culprits being house sparrows and the starlings feeding there youngsters in droves,must be about 20 at a time in the garden,bullfinches continue to appear on a daily basis, goldfinches and greenfinches as well, also a large number of blackbirds,bats flying about in the evenings, male sparrowhawk as been successful on more than one occasion on his missions.i hope that every day I look out into the garden that the turtle dove might appear but I think that is now a far gone conclusion.

Sorry your Turtle Dove hasn't shown this year, though there are still a few arriving, I think. Our local ones didn't show last year, so I doubt if they ever will again; the habitat is no longer right for various reasons. I count myself so lucky to have been able to watch and hear them for a few years; it's very sad that such a beautiful bird is in such trouble.

Hi mary
When they didn't show last year after showing the previous two years, I new then that they would not turn up again, but in some places they have been returning,like you the memory lives on.

at last Swifts return over the house, 3 yesterday evening.

Not seen a juvenile Blackbird yet, pretty sure the Magpies raided the nest of all the eggs.

Starling, Carrion Crow, Dunnock, Greenfinch, Collared Dove juveniles all making appearances now

Sorry your Turtle Dove hasn't shown this year, though there are still a few arriving, I think. Our local ones didn't show last year, so I doubt if they ever will again; the habitat is no longer right for various reasons. I count myself so lucky to have been able to watch and hear them for a few years; it's very sad that such a beautiful bird is in such trouble.

Unfortunately the decline is being intensified by the killing of so many birds in the Mediteranean e.g. 3500+ Turtle Doves killed on Malta last year alone!!

CB

This country has gone mad and is getting madder. How can we give people like Chris Packham credibility when fighting for the survival of bird species in Malta when some loony's in Natural England openly ill advise families across the UK to willingly destroy nests in their back gardens.

The six trees chopped down next to me will be a drop in the ocean.

I despair.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back