• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Very busy at the bird feeder today! (3 Viewers)

My pair of Collared Dove have just turned up with a youngster so there are three to destroy my feeders now. Only kidding, they are a lovely species to have around.

On the flip side a Male Sparrowhawk has just carried off what I think was a Blue Tit, however it maybe one of my Coal Tit pair.

Fat little fella getting a feed from mam

Nice to see on the wall today.

Attachments

• IMG_4699.JPG
    IMG_4699.JPG
    414.2 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_4704.JPG
    IMG_4704.JPG
    457 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_4705.JPG
    IMG_4705.JPG
    408.2 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_4708.JPG
    IMG_4708.JPG
    383.6 KB · Views: 33
My gardens still fairly active;
Dunnock still feeding young, robins, blackbirds, magpies, collared doves, woodpigeons, goldfinches, greenfinches, coal tits, blue tits, great tits, long-tailed tits, carrion crow, house sparrow, starling, feral pigeon and the first 6 swifts have passed through! :t:
However, I was a bit disheartened to find remains of smashed blackbird eggs (the magpies had raided their nest again) and I found a big pile of feathers which turned out to be a dunnock, one of the nesting pair in fact :(

Last edited:
Two Goldfinch on the feeders this morning eating sunflower hearts. Pleased to see them as nothing I've done in the past had coaxed them down out of the trees. The difference is that yesterday I moved the bird feeders from where they were out in the open about 10 yards nearer the trees (to let the grass recover). The downside is that squirrels can now jump from the trees and land on the feeders. Hmm...

My gardens still fairly active;
Dunnock still feeding young, robins, blackbirds, magpies, collared doves, woodpigeons, goldfinches, greenfinches, coal tits, blue tits, great tits, long-tailed tits, carrion crow, house sparrow, starling, feral pigeon and the first 6 swifts have passed through! :t:
However, I was a bit disheartened to find remains of smashed blackbird eggs (the magpies had raided their nest again) and I found a big pile of feathers which turned out to be a dunnock, one of the nesting pair in fact :(

My resident Magpies have raided our Blackbirds nest yet again, it happens every year. Somehow the Blackbirds do what nature does and have another clutch. However these Magpies are ripping my lawn to bits looking for (and finding) leatherjackets. :-@

On another note has anyone noticed the current invasion of flying bugs. Literally thousands in my garden and the surrounding areas, Starlings and house sparrows feasting at the moment.

They are still around !

Activity at my feeders had dwindled to next to nothing over the past couple of weeks but the dreary weather today must have reduced the supply of bugs because they're busy again.

I just love this fella

He comes in every day and often a few times a day, doesn't often stop, today I caught him for a few minutes enjoying the sun between heavy showers.

Attachments

• Sparrowhawk.jpg
    Sparrowhawk.jpg
    240.8 KB · Views: 40
  • Sparrowhawk-2014.jpg
    Sparrowhawk-2014.jpg
    249.2 KB · Views: 35
  • m-Sparrowhawk-2014.jpg
    m-Sparrowhawk-2014.jpg
    261.8 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:
Wow you guys have got some amazing birds at your feeders!

Haven't been much at mine lately because most of them are now staying in the bush, but about a month ago there was a Tufted Titmouse at my bird feeder. They're usually not found this far north and I was pretty excited because it was only the second time I've seen one around here.

Haven't been much at mine lately because most of them are now staying in the bush, but about a month ago there was a Tufted Titmouse at my bird feeder. They're usually not found this far north and I was pretty excited because it was only the second time I've seen one around here.

Welcome aboard.
I share your excitement whenever a scarce visitor shows up here too. It will be good to have a new contributor to the thread. :t:

Not what you mean at all, but there were a pair of ducks on my lawn yesterday. First time ever in many decades living here (at least five miles from fresh water).

Mallardjusted ducks?

Sorry.

Not what you mean at all, but there were a pair of ducks on my lawn yesterday. First time ever in many decades living here (at least five miles from fresh water).

Mallardjusted ducks?

Sorry.

Nice one. I wonder if someone close to you has a pond? Anyway nice find for you.

Happy to say my Swifts appeared back over the house yesterday, only 3 at the moment and later than ever but it's good to finally have them back.

No sign of any young birds in the garden yet but there's plenty of activity from all the usual visitors.

He comes in every day and often a few times a day, doesn't often stop, today I caught him for a few minutes enjoying the sun between heavy showers.

Great photos! We used to have a regular but I haven't seen it in a couple of months, last seen being chased by a crow over the rooftops!

It's always nice to see something a little out of the ordinary isn't it!

The garden hs been very quiet this week. Starlings turn up in good numbers when I put the peanut cake out, but once that's gone, barely a bird visits all day. However, a Redpoll and a Goldfinch were on the sunflower hearts this afternoon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back