• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Very busy at the bird feeder today! (5 Viewers)

Morning all, must be lovely to see that Siskin Ken!

I've had a week off so I went and got some sunflower hearts (normally only feeding nyger and fatballs at the moment) and a tub of mealworms to add to the feeding station and finally had the chance to settle down yesterday for a good day's watching.

It persisted down all day but the house sparrows still had a good feed, and the dunnock, with the odd blue tit. A couple of robins had a squabble over the mealworms on the little bird table, and I saw a single goldfinch later on, on the nyger.

Today I've seen the sparrows, a blue tit and nothing else! Bah! When I haven't got time to sit and watch, there are long tailed tits and goldfinches galore.

Still surprisingly quiet in the garden. A few Coal, Blue and Great Tits and the occasional Goldfinch. 4 Blackbirds yesterday taking berries, but that's about it. Hopefully a sign of good amounts of natural food available.

Had a northern flicker at the peanut feeder and the suet feeder today, but I don't think he liked the offerings. He got there after the magpies and jays got to all the peanuts :(

And a little downy woodpecker was loitering in the tree with the other feeders, but I didn't see him eat anything. Hopefully my new peanut feeder arrives soon!

a few birds coming into garden now, 6-goldfinch, 3-chaffinch, 2-greenfinch, 4-blackbirds, 1-robin,1-dunnock, 2-starling, great & blue tits, and a magpie

An hour and a half watching the garden over breakfast wasn't very fruitful, despite a frost. A Wren and a Goldfinch were the highlights. Same as Mark, Chaffinches were most numerous.

A huge cold front has arrived and still no sign of the male Ruby-crowned Kinglet who has spent the last 5 winters with us. I guess he didn't survive his time in the north or else died on migration. A great pity. However, living even 5 years is quite an achievement for such a small bird.

On a happier note, our one-footed male Northern Cardinal continues to visit all the time, and Tufted Titmice pop in every day.

Jeff
www.jeffincypress.blogspot.com

Some of my house sparrows returned after a 3 week hiatus and brought with them two dark-eyed juncos. I'd only ever seen one dark-eyed junco and he was a little sporadic in his visits, so this was a nice treat.

Also, saw my first white-breasted nuthatch! I had red-breasted nuthatches visiting all last winter, but never a white-breasted one so I'm pretty happy with that! I hope he sticks around!

Just had about 25 goldfinch in amongst the sparrows and greenfinch. 6 blue tits and 4 great tits a couple of dunnocks and a robin plus 6 starlings trying to hog the feeders.

Why have posts here dropped off so dramatically?

I don't know but I've been filling the feeder and the house sparrows are eating it dry. Nothing more boring than nothing but house sparrows.

However now that the feeder is up for the season I do hope to have something to say.

Oh, I do have one thing to say. The other day a downy woodpecker was on the suet feeder and a house sparrow came along and the downy gave it a pack on the head and the sparrow left.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back