• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Very busy at the bird feeder today! (6 Viewers)

Our yards continue to be busier than ever before. We had 20 species yesterday, plus 5 species of flyovers.

We haven't seen American Goldfinch and Pine Siskins in our yards for about a week, altho Pine Siskins are still in our area in large numbers.

Jeff
www.jeffincypress.blogspot.com

We had 22 species in/over our yard here in Saint Joseph, Missouri yesterday and among the them was a lone, male COMMON REDPOLL (rare for Missouri when it does venture down from the north in the winter). Also some nice Red-breasted Nuthatches, Pine Siskins, Carolina Wren, Brown Creeper mixed in with the other more mundane birds. The Common Redpoll was back again this morning around 7 am. A great bird for our yard!

We had 22 species in/over our yard here in Saint Joseph, Missouri yesterday and among the them was a lone, male COMMON REDPOLL (rare for Missouri when it does venture down from the north in the winter). Also some nice Red-breasted Nuthatches, Pine Siskins, Carolina Wren, Brown Creeper mixed in with the other more mundane birds. The Common Redpoll was back again this morning around 7 am. A great bird for our yard!

Nice going with the Redpoll, Larry!
We still have Red-breasted and Brown-headed Nuthatches, and Cedar Waxwings, but our Am Goldfinch and Pine Siskins seem to have moved on.
Jeff

Good shot of the Sparrowhawk Jaff.

I had a look round my garden with my camera for the first time in a couple of weeks today. We've a stream at the end of the garden where, last Spring, two Wrens built a nest which was sadly destroyed by flooding following the torrential rain. This is the first time I've looked down there this year and would you believe it:

8530756045_cb0488051e_b.jpg

This shot is within 6 feet of where their nest was last year so this is possibly one of the two birds who were flooded out. Great to see this bird, I just hope that if they build a nest in the same place they don't suffer the same fate.

looks like my Sparrowhawk has been thrown off my patch by the much larger female. I havent seen the male for a week now but the female has been for a few days.... kind of happy about this as she may keep the scanky street pigeons at bay.

Chaffinch making out like a flycatcher :eek!: with some success, saw it take some flying bugs (twice) then return to the same perch.

Goldcrest on the suet feeder, 2 LTTs, Cormorant over and a handful of Siskin, 7 Magpie, some very noisy corvids... Carrion Crows and Jackdaws being very loud and boisterous over head.

2 Pied Wagtails both yesterday and this evening, while a rare visitor here at least 3 Herring Gulls

Last edited:
Back again today. Woodpigeon or Collared Dove seeming to be the meal. Don't open the picture if you're having your tea. ;)

Great shot, Jaff.

I had a look round my garden with my camera for the first time in a couple of weeks today. We've a stream at the end of the garden where, last Spring, two Wrens built a nest which was sadly destroyed by flooding following the torrential rain. This is the first time I've looked down there this year and would you believe it:

This shot is within 6 feet of where their nest was last year so this is possibly one of the two birds who were flooded out. Great to see this bird, I just hope that if they build a nest in the same place they don't suffer the same fate.

Fingers crossed for this year, Mark. I'm sure a lot of people will be having similar thoughts after last year's washout.

Highlights here today were 6 Coal Tits, 3 Siskins and a Goldcrest.

Hi, very pleased this week. Yesterday had about half a dozen goldfinches came to the garden and landed on the tree altogether, and a couple of days ago had a bird that I wasn't sure of, and I have just found out it was a female blackcap. Two birds that I haven't seen in the garden before :)

looks like my Sparrowhawk has been thrown off my patch by the much larger female. I havent seen the male for a week now but the female has been for a few days.... kind of happy about this as she may keep the scanky street pigeons at bay.

Chaffinch making out like a flycatcher :eek!: with some success, saw it take some flying bugs (twice) then return to the same perch.

Goldcrest on the suet feeder, 2 LTTs, Cormorant over and a handful of Siskin, 7 Magpie, some very noisy corvids... Carrion Crows and Jackdaws being very loud and boisterous over head.

2 Pied Wagtails both yesterday and this evening, while a rare visitor here at least 3 Herring Gulls

I read the part in bold as 'with' |<|

2 long tailed tits, coal tit and blue tit all on the same peanut feeder this morning. LTT's won by hounding the other two

Users who are viewing this thread

Back