• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Very busy at the bird feeder today! (4 Viewers)

Afternoon all,

Nothing spectacular to report here in East Kilbride, steady numbers of house sparrows, the usual tit collective etc etc.

Am on the lookout for a new bird table however. Last year's has finally succumbed, couldn't handle the winter wind and rain up here :eek!:

Would prefer a pre-built one, they do seem a bit sturdier.

Any recommendations people ? :t:

Some records

of this afternoons Siskins and Song Thrush

Attachments

• _MG_8631.jpg
    _MG_8631.jpg
    280.9 KB · Views: 56
  • _MG_8638.jpg
    _MG_8638.jpg
    228.2 KB · Views: 46
  • _MG_8639.jpg
    _MG_8639.jpg
    184.2 KB · Views: 52
  • _MG_8640.jpg
    _MG_8640.jpg
    164.6 KB · Views: 49
Afternoon all,

Nothing spectacular to report here in East Kilbride, steady numbers of house sparrows, the usual tit collective etc etc.

Am on the lookout for a new bird table however. Last year's has finally succumbed, couldn't handle the winter wind and rain up here :eek!:

Would prefer a pre-built one, they do seem a bit sturdier.

Any recommendations people ? :t:

I still cringe when I see the price of ready made bird tables, I think quality is the way to go, but at what cost?

I still cringe when I see the price of ready made bird tables, I think quality is the way to go, but at what cost?

Exactly, not too sure what's considered cheap, or even acceptable, for pre-built tables

Interesting topic and one I'm considering for when the weather picks up. The best tables I've seen recently were at the garden birds section of my local wildlife refuge. Consisting of little more than cut down thick branches (say 6 to 8'' thick at the base) they were maybe 6' tall, shaped like a small tree and had a variety of feeders, trays and water bowls fixed to them designed to attract a variety of garden birds. They looked to have been coated with some sort of (hopefully bird friendly) preservative and had been securely fixed into the ground. Next time I'm there I'll take a photo or two to illustrate but I thought they looked a lot more natural as garden features than the typical bird table. The only advantage some bird tables have are that some, such as mine, have a roof which keeps the feeder tray clear of snow.

Had loads of northern flickers infesting the courtyard, this morning, but they all left before it got bright enough to take their pictures. Still, it was a lot of fun watching them frolic about in the bushes.

Also saw three European starlings clinging to bird spikes on the roof of a neighbouring building. They don't seem to realise the bird spikes are not perches.

Lots of crows, and a few hummingbird visits, and plenty of song sparrow traffic (all from the same song sparrow, coming back over and over again). Haven't seen a house finch in a few days, which is weird. There's normally at least one finch by every day.

local wildlife refuge

Interesting topic and one I'm considering for when the weather picks up. The best tables I've seen recently were at the garden birds section of my local wildlife refuge. Consisting of little more than cut down thick branches (say 6 to 8'' thick at the base) they were maybe 6' tall, shaped like a small tree and had a variety of feeders, trays and water bowls fixed to them designed to attract a variety of garden birds. They looked to have been coated with some sort of (hopefully bird friendly) preservative and had been securely fixed into the ground. Next time I'm there I'll take a photo or two to illustrate but I thought they looked a lot more natural as garden features than the typical bird table. The only advantage some bird tables have are that some, such as mine, have a roof which keeps the feeder tray clear of snow.

Just a quick question, where is our local wildlife refuge ? i didn't know there was one in Durham, I'd like to go along and have a look. Also i'd love to see some pics of any natural feeding stations/Platforms that anyone has made as i'd like to give it a try myself.

Just a quick question, where is our local wildlife refuge ? i didn't know there was one in Durham, I'd like to go along and have a look. Also i'd love to see some pics of any natural feeding stations/Platforms that anyone has made as i'd like to give it a try myself.

We don't have any RSPB sites in Durham but we do have the Durham wildlife trust. They have a number of sites for birds across the county. I've been to most and I think Low Barns at Witton le wear is one of the best. That's about 20 miles west of where you are. They have a section set up to attract garden birds which is what I was referring to above. If you join the trust parking at Low Barns is free, if not it's £2.50 all day. Their website is http://www.durhamwt.co.uk/visitors-centres-2/low-barns/

Rain and wind didn't keep the birds away from our yards yesterday. Most of our year-round and winter residents turned up, including a House Finch that was missing on Saturday.
45 Cedar Waxwings were a nice surprise. It's the most I've seen at one time this winter and only the second time I've seen any at home.
A flyover by 8 Great Egrets was another nice sight.

Jeff
www.jeffincypress.blogspot.com

Disappointing number of siskins in the garden this morning. Now only 20-ish birds! Hardly anything else getting a look in. Couple of goldfinch, some chaffinch, 4 blackbirds, collared dove and that's about it.
I've had blackcaps in the garden up until last week, both male and female (not at the same time). Seem to have moved on elsewhere.

Rain and wind didn't keep the birds away from our yards yesterday. Most of our year-round and winter residents turned up, including a House Finch that was missing on Saturday.
45 Cedar Waxwings were a nice surprise. It's the most I've seen at one time this winter and only the second time I've seen any at home.
A flyover by 8 Great Egrets was another nice sight.

Jeff
www.jeffincypress.blogspot.com

Good garden birding here Jeff, Waxies, Egrets and rain ;)

Disappointing number of siskins in the garden this morning. Now only 20-ish birds! Hardly anything else getting a look in. Couple of goldfinch, some chaffinch, 4 blackbirds, collared dove and that's about it.
I've had blackcaps in the garden up until last week, both male and female (not at the same time). Seem to have moved on elsewhere.

Lucky you. I only get Blackcaps in summer.

CB

Exactly, not too sure what's considered cheap, or even acceptable, for pre-built tables

ran EK half marathon a couple of years ago with a good friend of mine.
a bit off topic i know !!!
im after a new table myself and fancy building one like mentioned above.
will have to find some chopped down trees.

On the subject of bird tables, as discussed above, here's a shot of the garden bird section at Low Barns wildlife trust in Durham. The garden is a clearing bounded by mature trees and the tables are thick branches with multiple perches fixed into the ground, plus a few tree stumps and offcuts of logs. Bird watchers and photographers view the birds from a hide consisting of a 6' fence with observation ports built into it. Many different species visit the feeders here.
I don't intend making a habit of posting shots from here (it's not my garden!) but just as a one off, some of the birds I saw there yesterday:

8467874782_f25f8bd456_b.jpg 8465672143_56e08613c6_b.jpg8465784933_bcc91fd756_b.jpg 8466773626_5e7c1418c5_b.jpg
8466902494_a2a9feb03a_b.jpg

Last edited:
We had a jay on Christmas day which I'm waiting to come back, and the redpolls we had last winter - I like them!

One redpoll testing out all the feeders this morning :) along with the usual greenfinch, chaffinch, goldfinch, siskins, up to 20ish bramblings, a couple of long tailed tits and a mistle thrush overseeing everything.

Last edited:
16 redpolls
11 goldfinch
9 greenfinch
7 blackbirds
6 collard doves
3 starlings
6 house sparrows
2 magpies
6 chaffinches
2 blue tits
1 long tailed tit