• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Very busy at the bird feeder today! (9 Viewers)

just returned home from working a night shift and still not very light. 2 small water fowl type species flown over.... probably Little Grebe, however never seen them fly before (I think they only fly in the dark) so unfortunatly not enough to get a new tick. Cant think what else they could be.

A few more robin sightings, many more nuthatch sightings, and all the usual suspects visiting including ever-increasing numbers of house sparrows.

Again the return of the rain brought the return of the GSWs, with a first sighting of one feeding on the back garden peanut-feeder.

2012-08-29 male juve GSW kitchen 01.JPG

When I first put them up I thought the feeders might be too close to the kitchen windows but they've been a great success. With the blinds partly closed we can see the birds easily but they can't see us very well. Washing-up is no longer such a chore :t:

Siskins, siskins and more siskins. I think I need to start buying sunflower hearts by the 50kg sacks.

Juv GSW still around. Normally the parents have moved the offspring off by now.

Had a new species for my garden the other day in the form of a nuthatch on the peanuts, my daughter and I were playing with bubbles in the garden, I turned around and there it was! compact was in my pocket and managed a record shot, albeit a poor one.

Attachments

• nuthatch.jpg
    nuthatch.jpg
    316.7 KB · Views: 63
Had a new species for my garden the other day in the form of a nuthatch on the peanuts, my daughter and I were playing with bubbles in the garden, I turned around and there it was! compact was in my pocket and managed a record shot, albeit a poor one.

Lovely bird, good thinking about having the camera to hand

Congrats on the nuthatch Michael :t:

Surprisingly for such a sunny day we've had GSW visits. Today the adult female -

View attachment 402284 View attachment 402285

great images Catbasket

alot of Greenfinch with 7 or 8 juveniles, some still begging for food and parents regurgitating and feeding them.... quite good to watch at close quarters, also first Chaffinch for a while and a few starlings.

Last edited:
Goldfinches and greenfinches dominating the feeders at the moment,sparrowhawk seen twice yesterday, first time failed in attempt but second time was a conqueror.chaffinches coming back slowly,collared doves and house sparrow numbers are up,and just as I am writing this the sparrowhawk as just returned and a sudden departure of the garden birds.

It was very quiet in our yards over the (long) weekend except for nonstop squabbling by the numerous Ruby-throated Hummingbirds that are trying to use our feeders. I think the hummers are scaring off the other species.

I've started going into our yards for a few minutes in the early morning to scan the sky. Yesterday had 70+ Great Egrets fly over in various groups. They looked very pretty with their breasts reflecting the pink of the morning sun.

Jeff
www.jeffincypress.blogspot.com

''Goldfinch and a siskin on the nyjer feeder at the same time this morning.Must be winter...''

Oh I don't know......They've been here all summer

For the first time ever in my garden yesterday, TWO Nuthatches. There has been the odd single visitor on occasions, but never a pair before. They were definitely together, as they came as a pair and left the same way. Striking plumage with characteristic black eye-band.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back