• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Very busy at the bird feeder today! (2 Viewers)

Tough watching nature do it's business.... I have a Cooper hawk living the good life right now. He especially likes squirrels. Although, I have only found one of his prey my normal 6 to 7 visits a day are down to a couple.
I once had a robin grabbed by a large black snake, it let out the most ungodly scream....

I would be very interested in borrowing the cooper hawk especially if he likes squirrels!!!

GSW was at the feeders this morning, and assuming it was the same bird, has lost most of his red crown, gone all grown up !

Also had a greenfinch this morning, glad I put sunflower hearts out now, hope they keep visiting this time.

5 jackdaws today as well, surpisingly versatile on the feeders.

haven't seen our GSW for some weeks now. I suspect a lot of birds get missed when you are busy all day and some sightings are just good luck.

I spotted a pair of Tree creepers in my garden earlier this year and as luck would have it my camera was to hand to record them. First time seen in 13 years and never seen again since .... Just a lucky sighting at that precise moment I guess.

I think all our Greenfinches have sadly succumed to either illness or the Sparrowhawk as I've not seen even our regular solitary GF for some weeks now.

We did see 8x juvenile Long tailed Tits on our suet and fat balls last night though !:t: They are sooooooooooo tiny ..... I'll be ready with the camera tonight .;)

haven't seen our GSW for some weeks now. I suspect a lot of birds get missed when you are busy all day and some sightings are just good luck.

I think we tend to forget that what we see is only a fraction of the birds that visit our gardens. As you say, luck plays a big part. Let me give an example - about butterflies not birds.

I glanced out of mour bedroom window and saw a butterfly on a bush in our yard. I only know a handful of butterflies and it wasn't one of them. I grabbed my camera, rushed out and took a photo just before the butterfly flew off. Checked some internet sites of US butterflies but no luck with an ID. On a whim, I posted a photo on the web and asked for an ID. Turns out it was just the third sighting ever in the USA of a Rusty-tipped Page. Makes me wonder how many rare butterflies and birds are flitting around all the time without anyone noticing them!

Jeff

I think we tend to forget that what we see is only a fraction of the birds that visit our gardens. As you say, luck plays a big part. Let me give an example - about butterflies not birds.

I glanced out of mour bedroom window and saw a butterfly on a bush in our yard. I only know a handful of butterflies and it wasn't one of them. I grabbed my camera, rushed out and took a photo just before the butterfly flew off. Checked some internet sites of US butterflies but no luck with an ID. On a whim, I posted a photo on the web and asked for an ID. Turns out it was just the third sighting ever in the USA of a Rusty-tipped Page. Makes me wonder how many rare butterflies and birds are flitting around all the time without anyone noticing them!

Jeff

:t: well done Jeff

Dunnock resting with its wings and tail spread flat on the lawn. Possibly a juvenile, but after a few minutes it got up and went foraging again. It may have been 'sunbathing' - I've seen other birds do this occasionally too.

You are correct Bongo - here are two sunbathing yesterday in the garden, The Robin fluffs up and sits as if it is sat on eggs, while the Blackbird spreads itself flat to the ground, both trying to cool off......unfortunatly no sunshine today

also added a Greenfinch Juv for EB as all his have gone

Attachments

• IMG_6069.jpg
    IMG_6069.jpg
    252.4 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_6072.jpg
    IMG_6072.jpg
    259.8 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_6081.jpg
    IMG_6081.jpg
    173.4 KB · Views: 42
2012 Garden Species No 53
Willow Warbler

first sighting since May 2009

We have just had a long and heavy downpour and as it has brightened up a little a mini bird wave has just come through into the garden including the Warbler. Stuck around for 10 minutes or so :t: certainly a garden Mega for me

a mad 5 minutes as a Wren has just turned up, first sighting since feb this year.

Last edited:
Willow Warbler

We have just had a long and heavy downpour and as it has brightened up a little a mini bird wave has just come through into the garden including the Warbler. Stuck around for 10 minutes or so :t: certainly a garden Mega for me

Nice one, Dave!

Your warblers are very different from those in the USA. We have a lot more, too - I missed a lot of warblers this spring but still spotted 25 species.

Jeff

which 25 Jeff? - only to whet my appetite

Here you go, Dave.

Ovenbird
Blue-winged W(arbler)
Golden-winged W
Black-and-white W
Prothonotary W
Tennessee W
Orange-crowned W
Nashville W
Mourning W
Common Yellowthroat
Hooded W
American Redstart
Northern Parula
Magnolia W
Bay-breasted W
Blackburnian W
Yellow W
Chestnut-sided W
Pine W
Yellow-rumped W
Yellow-throated W
Black-throated Green W
Canada W
Wilson's W
Yellow-breasted Chat

Some people saw more than this in half-a-day this spring.

Amazingly, I didn't see a single warbler in a weekend in the San Francisco Bay Area or in a week in sw Utah. Partly time of year, partly bad luck.

My favorite is Blackburnian Warbler. They could do with some of those in Blackburn to brighten the place up.

Jeff

Attachments

• DSC08986.JPG
    DSC08986.JPG
    235 KB · Views: 38
You are correct Bongo - here are two sunbathing yesterday in the garden,

Thanks - nice images:t:

Willow Warbler

Nice goingB :)

Siskins are still emptying the feeders daily. The white millet is proving popular with the squirrels, shock horror, but the Chaffinches like a nibble when the squirrels leave it alone.

The juv GSW is deffo a male, going by the size of the red cap.

Here you go, Dave.

Ovenbird
Blue-winged W(arbler)
Golden-winged W
Black-and-white W
Prothonotary W
Tennessee W
Orange-crowned W
Nashville W
Mourning W
Common Yellowthroat
Hooded W
American Redstart
Northern Parula
Magnolia W
Bay-breasted W
Blackburnian W
Yellow W
Chestnut-sided W
Pine W
Yellow-rumped W
Yellow-throated W
Black-throated Green W
Canada W
Wilson's W
Yellow-breasted Chat

Some people saw more than this in half-a-day this spring.

Amazingly, I didn't see a single warbler in a weekend in the San Francisco Bay Area or in a week in sw Utah. Partly time of year, partly bad luck.

My favorite is Blackburnian Warbler. They could do with some of those in Blackburn to brighten the place up.

Jeff

Excellent stuff Jeff
I can boast of seeing a few of those listed while in Venezuela, with the bottom 3 in the garden where Goyter and myself stayed :t:

Blackburnian
Black and White
Tennessee
American Redstart
Bay Breasted

Have to agree that the Blackburnian Warbler is beautiful - and here is my humble effort of 2 plus the Tennessee from the Garden.

Attachments

• 603.JPG
    603.JPG
    262.8 KB · Views: 50
  • 516.JPG
    516.JPG
    192 KB · Views: 44
  • 271.JPG
    271.JPG
    134.3 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
Willow Warbler

a mad 5 minutes as a Wren has just turned up, first sighting since feb this year.

Nice find!!

CB

Excellent stuff Jeff
I can boast of seeing a few of those listed while in Venezuela, with the bottom 3 in the garden where Goyter and myself stayed :t:

Blackburnian
Black and White
Tennessee
American Redstart
Bay Breasted

Have to agree that the Blackburnian Warbler is beautiful - and here is my humble effort of 2 plus the Tennessee from the Garden.

As always, nice photos, Dave.
Jeff

Turns out it was just the third sighting ever in the USA of a Rusty-tipped Page. Makes me wonder how many rare butterflies and birds are flitting around all the time without anyone noticing them!

Jeff

wow thats rare.

Did you send the picture to a local newspaper ? in the UK the local rags usually pay quite well for images that add to a good story like a rare sighting of something. You could have been famous Jeff ;)

GSW was at the feeders this morning, and assuming it was the same bird, has lost most of his red crown, gone all grown up !

We've had a relatively warm, dry week so all bird visits have been well down on numbers but I just saw the first GSW for three days and it was 'our' male juvenile - with quite a few black streaks through his crown. So he may be a little younger than yours.

Nuthatch visits seem to be getting more regular again, but I haven't seen a robin in weeks. Hopefully just a case of not looking at the right times!

Nearly forgot - the better weather has been great for the local buzzards who seem to have been soaring and calling all week :t:

enjoy this for a few more weeks

Summer turning to Autumn so scenes like these will soon dissapear

Taken a month ago in the garden

Attachments

• IMG_4676.jpg
    IMG_4676.jpg
    254.8 KB · Views: 40

Users who are viewing this thread

Back