• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Very busy at the bird feeder today! (4 Viewers)

Amazing Roger in 2 weeks and at a new place you find that. You must be really pleased?

Dunnock once again on the Sunflower Heart feeder. This time for a good minute, he seems quite at ease on it, even more than some of the Male Chaffinch

I remember a Robin doing that a couple of years ago. This one hasn't yet, but if one can do it, so can the rest ;P

Nice with the Bullfinches returning BFB my pair have not come back since friday:-C seems to be a few about latly must be the cold weather we have been having,gone mild here now we never had any snow but list of birds for today not to bad.
Blue Tit.
Great Tit.
Goldfinch.
Chaffinch.
Greenfinch.
House Sparrow.
Starling.
Blackbird.
Robin.
Jackdaw.
Carrion Crow(flying over).
Black-Headed Gull(flying over).
Herring Gull(perched on house across road).
Magpie.
Collard Dove.
Rook(on telegraph wires).
Dunnock.
no Brambling,Fieldfares or Redwings here even though backgarden backs onto farmland full of lovley hedgerows

As mentioned elsewhere I have a goldcrest visiting daily and spending quite a long time in and out of the feeders, a lovely little fella. My question is, I don't see mention of many on this site - are they unusual garden visitors? We live quite near to woodland and the garden backs onto a large field area used for rugby and lacrosse.

Di.

As mentioned elsewhere I have a goldcrest visiting daily and spending quite a long time in and out of the feeders, a lovely little fella. My question is, I don't see mention of many on this site - are they unusual garden visitors? We live quite near to woodland and the garden backs onto a large field area used for rugby and lacrosse.

Di.

indeed scarce in gardens even close to woodlands. They are an infrequent visitor here and probably the same in most gardens.

Cute as they come though arnt they.

Here first thing are 2 Fieldfare, Mistle Thrush and a Redwing

Last edited:
Lovely snowy morning!!! Already seen my resident 2 collard doves, 6-7 starlings, 3 blackbirds, 6 sparrows, and first for long time. Little chaffinch visiting time by time.

We have been in our new house for nearly two weeks and with all the unpacking, I was only able to get some bird feeders up on Wednesday.

Nothing appeared on the first day, but since then it has been like Clapham Junction!

So far:-
Blue Tit (lots)
Great Tit
Coal Tit
Long Tailed Tit (about six)
Willow Tit (four so far)
Nuthatch (two pairs)
Robin
Blackbird
Sparrow
Green Finch
Siskin
Bull Finch
Chaffinch
Jay
Magpie
Great Spotted Woodpecker (two together)
Wren
Pheasant
and circling overhead, so technically not IN the garden, two buzzards.

When I am back from holiday out will come the cameras and scope. :t:

bloomin heck Roger :eek!: you must be in heaven.:t: never mind about unpacking......... just break the camera out :t:

Anyone else had a high increase in blackbirds? I have around 5 around in my garden. Used to onl have the occasional 1. Strangly there not feeding, just kind of chilling.

Anyone else had a high increase in blackbirds? I have around 5 around in my garden. Used to onl have the occasional 1. Strangly there not feeding, just kind of chilling.

yes its spooky when they just hang about isn't it !
I guess there is lots we don't know about bird behaviour still.

We have had 5 or 6 males daily for a couple of weeks now. they spend most of the time chasing each other around the garden. :-O

We had 5x males today with a lone female. ?

Oops, I forgot to mention the Wood Pigeon and the two squirrel birds.

The birds seem oblivious of my presence and I can get to within about four feet of them. When I am back from hols, I am hoping to get some good close up shots of the birds on the feeders.

roger 48 without looking stupid,what is a squirrel bird??never heard of that one,not much about today just the usual suspects bit to foggy to see much,

indeed scarce in gardens even close to woodlands. They are an infrequent visitor here and probably the same in most gardens.

Yep, couldn't agree more. Never seen more than one at a time, and often then its after many days and hours spent looking and hoping!

2 LTTs feeding on the ground on an apple!

Very interesting, what's that all about:h?:

Only about a minute of partial light this morning before I had to leave, but a Robin was in full song and actively protecting 'his' food source.

My garden has been pretty quiet today but it's been quite warm through the day reaching about 13.5C around 1.30pm.

Today's birds
2 Blackbirds, 1 male, 1 female
20 Starlings
1 Robin
2 Dunnocks
6 Chaffinches, 4 male, 2 female
1 Goldfinch
20 House Sparrows around half and half
2 Greenfinches, 1 of each
1 Siskin, male
2 Blue Tits
3 Feral Pigeons
1 Wood Pigeon
3 Redpolls, 1 male, 2 female

Also had a brief visit from a Long Tailed Tit, I think it would have stayed longer if the Sparrows hadn't been chasing it every time it went on the peanuts :C

And a brief visit from a female Great Tit, she ate a sunflower seed then was off again, don't know why they don't hang around |=(|

I'm jealous of those Goldcrests that some of you have been getting, I'd love to have one even only if it just came for a look. Think I'm probably too far away from the woods for them to come to my garden.

I've not seen the Sparrowhawk again, maybe he's just showing when I'm not looking but then the birds aren't any jumpier than usual.

Last edited:
Still pretty busy.
A dozen each of Chipping Sparrows and Am Goldfinches at a time.
Half-a-dozen each of House Finches and House Sparrows most of the time.
Couple each of Orange-crowned Warberls, Yellow-rumped Warblers, Carolina Chickadees and Downy Woodpeckers.
Northern Mockingbird and Rufous Hummingbird visit often every day.
Thought Ruby-crowned Kinglet had left but he/she is still here.
Flyover Great Blue Heron and Sharp-shinned Hawk.

Jeff

Still pretty busy.
A dozen each of Chipping Sparrows and Am Goldfinches at a time.
Half-a-dozen each of House Finches and House Sparrows most of the time.
Couple each of Orange-crowned Warberls, Yellow-rumped Warblers, Carolina Chickadees and Downy Woodpeckers.
Northern Mockingbird and Rufous Hummingbird visit often every day.
Thought Ruby-crowned Kinglet had left but he/she is still here.
Flyover Great Blue Heron and Sharp-shinned Hawk.

Jeff

Great selection of birds there, Jeff:t:

Only saw a small glimpse of the garden this morning but a highlight was the Long Tailed Tits feeding together again on the Nuts, and the return of the Wren :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back